Sun

Solaris 10 or 11 for Sunfire V245?

As the new owner of a Sunfire V245 (dual 1.5GHz, 8GB ram, 73GB disk) which would be the better operating system, Solaris 10 or 11? Anything significant to look out for? Thanks.
I think you will find that Solaris 11 doesn't support the v245, so that should answer your question.

One thing to consider : if you are interested in the "common file system" (or whatever they call it) so that you can share with Windows machines easily, 10 does not include that. 11 does. "Services for Unix" on Windows is pretty clunky.

Not sure whether "does not support" = "will not run" or just "Oracle won't help you." If it's the latter, well, Oracle isn't going to help you anyway so no great loss.
hamei wrote:
One thing to consider : if you are interested in the "common file system" (or whatever they call it) so that you can share with Windows machines easily, 10 does not include that. 11 does. "Services for Unix" on Windows is pretty clunky.

Not sure whether "does not support" = "will not run" or just "Oracle won't help you." If it's the latter, well, Oracle isn't going to help you anyway so no great loss.

In this case, it means does not run.

If you want CIFS on S10, you can use the SFW Samba packages, they work fine.

In this case, it means does not run.

Well, that's the poops. Good to know tho, thank you for the info.

Quote:
If you want CIFS on S10, you can use the SFW Samba packages, they work fine.

Samba sucks dead donkey balls and it's going the wrong way anyhow (need Sharity ?) but otherwise, Solaris 10 works nicely for me, so I'm not crying.

@astouffer : Solaris 10 is actually nice but don't install the graphical desktop . That thing is worse than a nightmare. It's the interface that drove Freddy Krueger around the bend. You have been warned.
hamei wrote:
@astouffer : Solaris 10 is actually nice but don't install the graphical desktop . That thing is worse than a nightmare. It's the interface that drove Freddy Krueger around the bend. You have been warned.

Thats avoided easily enough as the server has no video card. Didn't Sun drop the CDE desktop and go with Gnome? The world seemed like a more interesting place back when each unix vendor had their own window manager. CDE always looked so bland.
astouffer wrote:
The world seemed like a more interesting place back when each unix vendor had their own window manager.

Maybe. But Sun had at least 376 different incompatible window manglers all on their own.

It's easy to find documentation for Solaris. It's exasperating to sort through the 86,957,219 returns in .02 seconds to figure out which documentation applies. Freddy Krueger was a normal human being before his grandpa was committed and he inherited a V240 :twisted:
astouffer wrote:
hamei wrote:

Thats avoided easily enough as the server has no video card. Didn't Sun drop the CDE desktop and go with Gnome? The world seemed like a more interesting place back when each unix vendor had their own window manager. CDE always looked so bland.

Solaris 10 ships with both CDE and what they call JDS which is basically a theme for GNOME. All Solaris 10 releases have CDE.

But you are right, whats more fun here is that server has no video card. Instead, you have lights out which means a whole lot to me more than a gui on my servers. :)

It wasn't the CDE or window manager so much - altho that's sort of a pain also - but the Xservers were different, the gui administration tools seemed to change every three days, nothing was the same from one version to another. Check google for "how to add a new user" and you'd get twelve different sets of tools, none of which match your computer.

At least < useradd -options > is consistent !

Quote:
you have lights out which means a whole lot to me more than a gui on my servers. :)

Damn straight ! And it works good. Just no gui tools, puh-lease !!
zmttoxics wrote:
But you are right, whats more fun here is that server has no video card. Instead, you have lights out which means a whole lot to me more than a gui on my servers. :)

It's not either/or. You get ALOM whether you run headless or not.

Sun boxes ROCK 8-)

not literally ;)
Well the server arrived today and this is my first experience with rack mounted hardware. This thing is BIG, and pretty loud. Finally got the hang of the ALOM and switched to console mode. Sadly it looks like there is something wrong. Googling the IO-bridge error turns up very little help. All the memory has the same manufacturer part number but slightly different Sun numbers. Five are 370-7973-01 while the other three are 370-7973-0. Again google turns up very little for "370-7973-0". All are DDR333 ECC CL2.5. Not much else to re-seat or tighten up. The heatsinks are all screwed down securely.

It was advertised with a 30 day warranty so I may have to contact the seller :cry:
This doesn't look like memory. Maybe one of the CPU modules got unseated during shipping? Unplug the box (even when off, they are all really on) and try reseating them. Plug back in and watch the power-on self tests on your serial console.

Try sun 370-7973 . Looks like 1GB DIMMs

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Well I did a Solaris 10 network install and everything looks to be running pretty smooth. Netbooting was pretty painless thanks to this awesome guide http://www.pbandjelly.org/2005/07/solaris-10-jumpstart-from-freebsd/ .

Code:
-bash-3.2$ psrinfo -v
Status of virtual processor 0 as of: 02/09/2013 00:41:00
on-line since 02/08/2013 22:21:59.
The sparcv9 processor operates at 1504 MHz,
and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 1 as of: 02/09/2013 00:41:00
on-line since 02/08/2013 22:21:57.
The sparcv9 processor operates at 1504 MHz,
and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.

Maybe the next step is to look at the SunVTS tests.