Sun

Video issues with Ultra 1 - Page 2

I was under the impression Solaris 10 wouldn't install on an Ultra 1? Also, it's only got 64MB of RAM so I don't think 10 would work anyway. I might just install NetBSD since I don't have a copy of Solaris laying around. That said, if I do get a copy of Solaris, I could go into single user mode and reset the root password, yes? Would be interesting to see what's on the machine as they didn't wipe the drive.

thunderbird32 wrote:
I was under the impression Solaris 10 wouldn't install on an Ultra 1? Also, it's only got 64MB of RAM so I don't think 10 would work anyway. I might just install NetBSD since I don't have a copy of Solaris laying around. That said, if I do get a copy of Solaris, I could go into single user mode and reset the root password, yes? Would be interesting to see what's on the machine as they didn't wipe the drive.

S10 officially doesn't support UltraSPARC-1 CPUs, my read on this is because of the fairly significant (for multiuser) bug in 64-bit operation of UltraSPARC-1 where anyone can hard-lock the system. There was a work-around to install 64-bit Solaris 9 on them if you wanted to, and I think there was a hack to get Solaris 10 on US1 CPUs. Note that you won't have OBIO network support because LANCE was dropped in S10 (and it looks like you have a non-E Ultra-1).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
More problems! So, today I got a sealed copy of Solaris 8 in the mail, so I can recover the root password on my machine. However when I attempt to boot from the CD I get this error:

Now despite this being a shrink-wrapped box and the media folders being sealed, the install disc is scratched. I don't think it's bad enough for it to not read the disc, but... Is this the kind of error I'd see if in that case? If this is something else, could you point me in the right direction to fix it?

Here is the output of the probe-scsi command if that helps:

Hmm, I might be wrong with S10 on U1(memoryb fades), but S8 and S9 should be okey or?

I would also do a netinstall if possible, do you have any other Solaris box, Sparc or AMD otherwise you could install S10/S11 on a virtual box and save some 4GB for a S8/S9 netinstall, its very easy!
S8 02/02 is I think the last S8 and classic version
To get a U1 run in 64 bit you need to change a kernel parameter due to a CPU bug on CPUs below 200MHz, but who needs 64 bit on 200Mhz :)

Once you got a Solaris server running you download the S8/S9 image DVD and mount it using lofiadm

from my mind!

make a entry for the ISO i /dev
# lofiadm -a <path_to_iso>
You will now get a respons like /dev/lofi/1 which means that a new device entry has been created poiting to the ISO

# mount -F hsfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt (hsfs is High Sierra Filesystem today predecessor to ISO9660)
/install/Solaris8/202/Sparc/dvd

Then you traverse down to "Solaris_8/Tools" and execute setup_install_server /install/Solaris8/202/Sparc/dvd (or whatever path you like)
This will take some time
Then you do execute /install/Solaris8/202/Sparc/dvd/Solaris_8/Tools/add_install_client <ip> or <name> sun4u

once thats done on the U1 you do from openboot "boot net - install"

Any qustions ask

risk.
thunderbird32 wrote:
Here is the output of the probe-scsi command if that helps:

It does! According to probe-scsi, your cd-rom drive is set to id #3, while the ``cdrom'' alias in the prom uses id #6. You might want to fix your cd-rom drive jumpers, but in the meantime
Code:
boot disk3:f -s

might work (or
Code:
boot disk0:f -s
if your prom is still one of those which swaps id #0 and #3).

:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Be, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
A-Ha! Yes, the first one worked. I've got the root password reset and now I can get into the machine. Many thanks!

But now I'm having display issues again. I had found that my LCD monitor worked with the machine, but now it no longer does. Ever since I turned off auto-boot (so that I could run the probe-scsi command after a clean restart) it no longer works. I turned auto-boot back on, and the machine does boot, as the serial output shows, but it no longer shows up on the monitor. Other than that though it does work great.