Sun

Questions About My New Kit: Sun Fire T2000 - Page 2

That is true of most of the silver Sun boxes, x4xx, x2xx, the Ts, etc. Don't know about the new oracle branded ones but the old ones are unbearable for me too. I hate standing next to them in the server room.

Just curious but on a T1000 or T2000 are the PCI-E slots good for anything generic on Linux? I know GPU support is pretty limited on Solaris Sparc... I wonder if it fairs better with Linux/Mesa being able to do CUDA/OpenCL might be interesting since there is some work being done to accelerate some kenrel functionality with it so crypto could be reasonable on linux if that were workable.

I am fairly certain VGA during early boot at least wouldn't work however I think it would be pretty interesting to get a newish GPU in there... I would imagine linux would be able to initialize it even if it couldn't be used as a console pre boot.
They have to be loud since they are thin and deep and made for telcos aswell, but they are rock solid and the CPU has good parity on all major buses that is very important if you have GB's of RAM and raids with TB of disk since you don't want to write to the wrong place on the raid :)

I have one using two LSI HBAs with 16 SATA drives mirrored ZFS and spares under S11, not very fast but very stable!

Its a pretty neat design inside and the CPU is actuall opensourced(or was I cant get there anymore Larry!!) and the spec for Sparc is public!!! thats a first in enterprice CPU I think.
http://www.sparc.org/
http://www.opensparc.net/
Sparc is also use in space via Leon.
http://www.gaisler.com/

risk.
mila wrote:
They have to be loud since they are thin and deep and made for telcos aswell/

Bullshit.

Any 1U HP is half the dB of those boxes. I would take a DL360g5 over a T2000 any day and I don't have to lose my hearing doing it. The purple 1Us like the V210 aren't that loud either, the silver Suns (not just the 2000) are just obnoxiously loud. Sure in a telco rack or a datacenter, it probably doesn't matter. In an office that doesn't have sound proof walls? Terrible.

Seconded. Okay, V100 but same fans and case design.
The V210 (after picl runs on Solaris or the RHEL extensions on RHEL/CentOS) is super quiet, the V100 is quieter, the V120 (with the SCSI) maybe in-between. All three are significantly quieter than a T1000, in fact the V100 is quiet enough to be used under a desk.

I could never live with a T1000 in the same room or even the next room (or perhaps further). A great pity really as a T1000/T2000 would be a beautiful box under Solaris to test multi core/threaded apps.

Sun V100, USIIi 550, 1.5GB, 40GB, Debian Lenny 5.X