Sun

Sun Blade ram compatibility - Page 2

SAQ wrote:
Flourinert percolator tubes coming off the processors/Leo board!

I remember seeing one where there were some midsize fans mounted horizontally on top of slots cut into the case top.

If originality is a concern I'd go with a external funneled airbox running some high volume fans. Maybe even remove the internal fans to give a more open airflow. Completely removable.

That external fan hack you're thinking of is described in a message sent to the owner of obsolyte.com (with pics):
http://www.obsolyte.com/sun_ss5/

.... sacrilege :) , but I guess function is sometimes more important than form, especially with a server.
The fan cards used to cool the Turbo ZX are fairly interesting I guess http://www.flickr.com/photos/navarzo4/6539030017/

Ahem... *cough* I do have a ZX/Leo too and drivers somewhere If I ever get around to fooling with them ... not the turbo though.

Maybe I could refrigerate the whole case with peltiers :twisted: something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigantic-62mm-5 ... 0135040904
Hi,

I have never seen any need for extra fan exept for cooling the hardrive.

Why would you need extra fan between the PSU and MBUS? is not the fans in the PSU enough?

risk.
2xSM91-2 + Leo will burn the Aurora chassis down.

4xHyperSPARC 200 +ZX probably will as well.

Anyway, I'd go with a wood/Masonite/metal/plastic/whatever box with a plate the SS20 sits on and a bank of high-volume fans on it to move the air. Perhaps pull the floppy drive cover to increase airflow. Make sure the external fans and the internal fans match in direction so they aren't fighting against each other.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
2xSM91-2 + Leo will burn the Aurora chassis down.

4xHyperSPARC 200 +ZX probably will as well.

Anyway, I'd go with a wood/Masonite/metal/plastic/whatever box with a plate the SS20 sits on and a bank of high-volume fans on it to move the air. Perhaps pull the floppy drive cover to increase airflow. Make sure the external fans and the internal fans match in direction so they aren't fighting against each other.

Hmm, its been a while since I used SS20 but I did have quite a few and never had any issues with CPU temp exept for the harddrives. A common issue with all Aurora chassis(SS4/5/10 and 20) was HD issues. SS4 and SS5 did sometimes use low power(performance) drives and those was did not have these issues.

Nevertheless, the PSU and its fans feeds the chassis with air(the air travel from right to left seen from the front) which means that the air from the floppy drive will be directed into the chassis without taking the air away from the harddrive.

But I understand your thinking since these modules where very rare in WS's, I would guess that these where use where only SunOS 4 was possible.

risk.
Well.. a friend of mine suggested swapping the PSU and HD fans fans something faster... probably Vantech fans with a pot to control them so they aren't obscenely loud.

I installed solaris 8 on it the other day... and solaris 9 yesterday seems to run decently but CDE is definitely more suited to the hardware than Gnome 2.
cb88 wrote:
I installed solaris 8 on it the other day... and solaris 9 yesterday seems to run decently but CDE is definitely more suited to the hardware than Gnome 2.

The fetid POC that is gnome 2 isn't suited to anybody's hardware! 8-)

World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
cb88 wrote:

The fetid POC that is gnome 2 isn't suited to anybody's hardware! 8-)

I have no experience with the earlier Solarises but have used a couple of the newer ones. All of them were gawdawful. The V100 is now running in straight terminal mode, it's not so bad.

If you want to enjoy the SS20 as a desktop then use Openwindows(good looking and fast), so stay on S8 since S9 was not a big version people jumpt from S8-S10!

Opensource packages is available here www.opencsw.org

mvh Michael

risk.