SGI: Development

Black Fox's Development Thread - Page 2

TeamBlackFox wrote: Hey can you guys take the peanut gallery commentary about ADA, Pascal, etc elsewhere? I'm not trying to be rude, but I'd like to keep the thread tidy so I can look at people's suggestions easily and keep it organized.

well you asked for it:
TeamBlackFox wrote: You're free to suggest programs

Kumba suggested open64, others pointed out that it'll likely fail and why. then armanox suggested clang and ivelegacy would like to have an ada compiler and the geany ide ... and so on.
this is how a discussion works. if you don't like that then you might have to be more precise in your first post about what kind of suggestions are welcome
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: well you asked for it

Thats not a free-for-all for tangential discussion, and you know that!

Its fine for people to suggest programs but the thread's topic should not have the scope drifted into off topic. I was politely asking for people to do their best to keep the off-topic chatter out of the thread, which means I get my work cut out for me on the relevant discussion.

On the topic of the thread I'm going to look into the following suggestion: Xtend, but I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on it due to being GPLv3. If it builds out of the box or with minor hacks, so be it, but if it doesn't build, nope.

On another note, neko_gcc47 doesn't want to play nice so I'll have to build it too >.>
Entire collection up for sale :(
TeamBlackFox wrote:
foetz wrote: well you asked for it

Thats not a free-for-all for tangential discussion

hehe, that's how it is in forums :P
if you want it limited then limit it right from the start. i'd suggest to edit your first post and clearly say what sort of suggestions you expect and in which form
r-a-c.de
Sound's like TeamBlackFox is a leader, not a do'er. Perhaps he should start a new site that'll allow him to bark orders at willing volunteers.
:Cube: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy: :320: :1600SW:
TeamBlackFox wrote: On another note, neko_gcc47 doesn't want to play nice so I'll have to build it too >.>

What's wrong with neko_gcc47? It works without any problem here.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
ivelegacy wrote: About Irix: i'd like to see "geany", as I feel I miss an useful IDE. [...] Geany is a powerful tool, unfortunately has to deal with GTK+, so … it may hurt hard. I am used to use it under linux just because I do not have to care about GTK+, ubuntu already has things configured and installed.

Ran with this a little. Not so painful.

Geany versions 0.17, 0.18.1, 0.19.2, 0.20 and 0.21 compile cleanly with nekoware gtk2+ 2.12.12 and GCC 4.7.1.
Versions after 0.21 need gtk2+ >= 2.16, which would require me to build a newer gtk2+, which if memory serves won't be an improvement.

NOTE: nekoware libpng12 seems to be incomplete (no static libs). As of geany 0.18 libtool complains about a missing libpng12.al . I replaced nekoware libpng 1.2.4x with a fresh static+shared installation of libpng 1.2.52 - hey presto - no more libtool moaning.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
diegel wrote: What's wrong with neko_gcc47? It works without any problem here.

For some reason it doesn't want to generate binaries no matter how may times I install it from the tardist. Regardless,, I can build it as there's a wiki guide.
strong_epoxy wrote: Sound's like TeamBlackFox is a leader, not a do'er. Perhaps he should start a new site that'll allow him to bark orders at willing volunteers.

I'm generally a leader but more than capable of doing this sort of stuff. I just maintain a serious standard when I'm trying to keep a thread on topic - from my old moderation days over at a few sites.
TeamBlackFox wrote:
diegel wrote: What's wrong with neko_gcc47? It works without any problem here.
For some reason it doesn't want to generate binaries no matter how may times I install it from the tardist. Regardless,, I can build it as there's a wiki guide.
There must be something wrong with your installation. Why should gcc work everywhere but not an your systems? The problem can't be the gcc package itself and I am sure a rebuild will not solve your problem.

Before you start to build nekoware packages it is a good idea to rebuild existing ones. And please read nekoware release notes, there are lots of tips and workarounds in it and of course sample build environments.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2+: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo: :Cube:
diegel wrote: There must be something wrong with your installation. Why should gcc work everywhere but not an your systems? The problem can't be the gcc package itself and I am sure a rebuild will not solve your problem.

Before you start to build nekoware packages it is a good idea to rebuild existing ones. And please read nekoware release notes, there are lots of tips and workarounds in it and of course sample build environments.

I'm not building for Nekoware. I'm building for IRIX in general, first. If my efforts allow a nekoware contributor to expand Nekoware, good for them, if I know a workaround or a hack, I'll share it, but no, I'm not using a Nekoware environment which I am *sure* is part of the issue with neko_gcc47. I'll rebuild GCC using a full bootstrap and link it to /usr/local.
I'll be going back to coding sometime next week, had some various things happen ( exams, car overheating, got a new one etc.)

Also, Armanox I found this: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_ ... 0-Released
TeamBlackFox wrote: I'll be going back to coding sometime next week, had some various things happen ( exams, car overheating, got a new one etc.)

Also, Armanox I found this: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_ ... 0-Released

And to think that I don't get any credit for AIX support! I believe at one point I sent them some AIX patches, I would have to double check that. However...if they got AIX working, my roadblock there (initial one, second being I no longer have AIX access) was the same one that I had on IRIX, so I might be able to get IRIX working again. I will have to take a look.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Unfortunately I have no more time to work on stuff and my SGI collection is being liquidated. Sorry guys... I had some changes in my life happen, BIG changes, I'm moving cross-country soon.
big changes means bitches involved
no plan
yetanother**ixuser wrote: big changes means bitches involved

Not quite. I had two cars die on me, lost my job, and my roommates have decided to kick me out.
nice...if you have such friends, one need no more foes.
no plan
TeamBlackFox wrote: Unfortunately I have no more time to work on stuff and my SGI collection is being liquidated. Sorry guys... I had some changes in my life happen, BIG changes, I'm moving cross-country soon.

I am terribly sorry to hear that.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Well, I have almost(1) lost an eye because of a genetic disease, and I had to sell my car(2) to pay a therapy and a surgery that saved the other eye, and freezed the damage. That's life, man. So I won a few month of holidays and a pair of contact lens with a super complex dobule toro surface, which are very expensive, quite rigid, quite fragile, and so poor oxygened that you have to use a lot of eyewash, but I still have my stereoscopic vision. I was afraid to become a Cyclops(3). I hate Ulisse's tales.

(1) damaged, reduced optical power, but it works
(2) second hand, but 240 horses and a lot of Pimp My Ride, pretty vyper painted color, 2 layers, all made by myself
(3) humor saves. I guess
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
bummer to hear it TeamBlackFox, ivelegacy - best of luck to both of you