SGI: Development

beta: freetype2 2.4.9 - Page 1

Hello,

here is another little interactive OpenGL demo.
http://www.sgi.faktor0.de/chromawaves.tar.gz

Hit the space bar to create colorfull waves.
Move and zoom the field with the mouse.

Sourcecode with makefile for MipsPro-Compiler:
http://www.sgi.faktor0.de/chromawaves-source.tar.gz

This demo has more error-checking code than my other
programs, but, als always, start at your own risk .

Required libraries: GLUT library
http://de.mirror.nekoware.net/current/n ... 25.tardist

EDIT: Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOzAVC7WZg

-Martin
Shame my octane gfx are screwed!!!
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Works nicely on the Fuel, V12 6.5.30 neko_glut. I'll try it on the O2 later.

I wonder if you could reverse the action of the scroll button ? It's backwards from the way zoom works on any other apps I have ...

You know what would be useless but neat ? Pipe the output from sound to act as input. i always liked that rotating drum equalizer demo thing. This is even spiffier.

thank you.
hamei wrote: Works nicely on the Fuel, V12 6.5.30 neko_glut. I'll try it on the O2 later.

I wonder if you could reverse the action of the scroll button ? It's backwards from the way zoom works on any other apps I have ...

You know what would be useless but neat ? Pipe the output from sound to act as input. i always liked that rotating drum equalizer demo thing. This is even spiffier.

thank you.

Thank you for testing, hamei!
I take your tipps and suggestions into consideration.

Best regards,
Martin

P.S. I had to look up in an dictionary if "spiffier" means good or
bad, but I learned it means good :D
Little slow on O2 but what can someone expect? With -q1 it runs in decent speed. Sound input should be great.
:O2: R7000/600 576MB Ram CDRW 18+9Gb HDD
http://www.tomosgi.co.cc
Thanks for the nice toy Martin !
Just tested it on the Onyx2 IR2E and the Onyx IP, works great on both. Just a note : it looks a bit dark (eg. I don't see anything until I hit space), I'm not sure if it's related to my gamma settings (I use gamma 1.0 on my sgis)...
:Onyx2: :O2: :O3x0: :O3x0:
Martin Steen wrote: here is another little interactive OpenGL demo.

Whatever you are doing, Martin, you have found a guaranteed method for discovering the 350 mhz r5k bug :) Blows my O2 right off the planet, instantly. Maybe canavan can confirm ?

Interesting that it doesn't affect the 600 mhz O2 (per tomo's post). Is the problem in the cpu itself ? Maybe SGI wants to sue MIPS for damages, your appplication can be Exhibit A :D
hamei wrote: Is the problem in the cpu itself ?

I vaguely remember reading something about floating-point bugs in the 350MHz CPU's, which made them unsuitable for e.g. Maya. Since the O2 uses the main CPU for geometry transformations, it could be triggered by an OpenGL app.

Martin Steen wrote: here is another little interactive OpenGL demo.

Neat :)
ShadeOfBlue wrote: I vaguely remember reading something about floating-point bugs in the 350MHz CPU's, which made them unsuitable for e.g. Maya. Since the O2 uses the main CPU for geometry transformations, it could be triggered by an OpenGL app.

Right, that's why SGI recalled the RM7K/350MHz CPUs. Kind of interesting to see it pop up now though, and equally interesting that the faster RM7Ks aren't affected.

Edit: A little more info here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... fecdf3e025

Looks like it was a RM7000A problem. The 600MHz hobbyist upgrades use the RM7000C.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
ShadeOfBlue wrote: I vaguely remember reading something about floating-point bugs in the 350MHz CPU's, which made them unsuitable for e.g. Maya. Since the O2 uses the main CPU for geometry transformations, it could be triggered by an OpenGL app.

Right, that's why SGI recalled the RM7K/350MHz CPUs. Kind of interesting to see it pop up now though, and equally interesting that the faster RM7Ks aren't affected.

Edit: A little more info here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys ... fecdf3e025

Looks like it was a RM7000A problem. The 600MHz hobbyist upgrades use the RM7000C.

Both apps (Die Planeten, Chromawaves) make heavy use of trigonometric functions like sin() and cos().
I have sent hamei a test version of the demo program to proof it's not a software glitch. I' m still not sure
if it's a hardware bug. 99.999% of all bugs are software related (that's my experience, at least).

Best regards,
Martin

P.S. thank you very much for reporting about my programs on the start page!
bplaa.yai wrote: Thanks for the nice toy Martin !
Just tested it on the Onyx2 IR2E and the Onyx IP, works great on both. Just a note : it looks a bit dark (eg. I don't see anything until I hit space), I'm not sure if it's related to my gamma settings (I use gamma 1.0 on my sgis)...

Run "./chromawaves -auto" if you want the see waves from the beginning.
Martin Steen wrote: P.S. thank you very much for reporting about my programs on the start page!

Glad to do it -- it's always great to see new IRIX stuff :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
maybe it's just me.

I just installed neko_glut-3.7p25.tardist

Code: Select all

chaos 4% ./chromawaves
1383:./chromawaves: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libglut.s
o' under any of the filenames /usr/lib32/libglut.so:/usr/lib32/internal/libglut.
so:/lib32/libglut.so:/opt/lib32/libglut.so:/usr/lib32/libglut.so.1:/usr/lib32/in
ternal/libglut.so.1:/lib32/libglut.so.1:/opt/lib32/libglut.so.1:

running fixpath didn't fix it
I linked /usr/lib32/libglut.so to /usr/nekoware/lib/libglut.so which was probably a terrible idea, but I'm certainly no unix expert and it worked. It works great, actually. Maybe in the new version it can look for libglut.so in /usr/nekoware/lib/? or is it supposed to do that and my system is slightly fubared?
Another nekochan member helped me via PM. It's a common problem, the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, mine was empty for some reason.

You learn something new every day when the lesson is beat into your brain :D
sybrfreq wrote: Another nekochan member helped me via PM. It's a common problem, the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, mine was empty for some reason.

You learn something new every day when the lesson is beat into your brain :D

Nice to hear that it works now!

Although the use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is controversial.
(Google for "LD_LIBRARY_PATH bad")

Best regards,
Martin
Nice program! Runs fine here
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Well, it is a bit slow on my octane 2 :P .
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Yay! Even my R5000 180MHz Indy XZ can play this game.*

*-q1 really.

Still pretty cool and neat that the XZ graphics can handle it, even if it is a bit slow.
I use it and it works, I think recondas used it and it works. No problems noted but we never quite got over the hump.

Any of our photographically artistic members want to give it a whirl and report back, so it can go into /current ?
Been using this quite a while, half my applications use it and no problems noted, I'm voting +1 to move to current.