SGI: hinv

Indigo2 195MHz R10k, 384MB RAM, Max Impact, 2x4GB disk

Here's the specs on my ex-Cray I2 with the Max Impact board set. I'm guessing that the granite CRT is an ex-Indy one (the guy I got it from had a bunch of Indy systems too) and that originally it would have had a white CRT to match the keyboard and mouse.

Now I just need to figure out something impressive to run on it!

hinv:

Code: Select all

(eddy) ~ # hinv -vm
FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.5
1 195 MHZ IP28 Processor
Main memory size: 384 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version WD33C93B, revision D
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Graphics board: Maximum Impact/TRAM option card
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 1.1.0
EISA bus: adapter 0

gfxinfo:

(eddy) ~ # /usr/gfx/gfxinfo -v
Graphics board 0 is "IMPACTPC" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
Product ID 0x0, 2 GEs, 2 REs, 4 TRAMs
MGRAS revision 3, RA revision 5, RB revision 4
HQ rev A, GE11 rev B, RE4 rev A, PP1 rev A,
VC3 rev A, CMAP rev DMC rev D
16" monitor (id 0x2)
Video board present

Input Sync: Voltage - Video Level; Source - Internal; Genlocked - False
Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (1280x1024_60)
Video Format Flags:  (none)
Sync Disabled
Using Gamma Map 0

uname:

(eddy) ~ # uname -a
IRIX64 eddy 6.5 07151433 IP28

thanks

Jules
congrats, pretty much as much indigo as you can get :D
r-a-c.de
Thanks - yeah, it is... I think I may have some larger-capacity RAM for it, but to be honest what with the graphics option and additional drive it's probably just about at the limit cooling-wise already - and 384 should be enough to play with! Only thing it's missing is the CD drive, but I think I can borrow one from one of my Sun machines if ever needed (I have the internal sled, just not the drive)
yeah sun drives should work
r-a-c.de
julesr wrote: Thanks - yeah, it is... I think I may have some larger-capacity RAM for it, but to be honest what with the graphics option and additional drive it's probably just about at the limit cooling-wise already - and 384 should be enough to play with!

Do you have 12x 32MB SIMMs? Swapping to 8x 64MB (ideally single sided) or 4x 128MB (if you can find them!) could give you more RAM for less power/heat? I don't stretch the 384MB in my I2 but that's "only" an R4K so I tend to avoid multi-multi-tasking!

Nice machine - wish I'd "gone purple" when jumping into SGI ownership. Don't think I'd get away with adding a second I2 (having since acquired a Fuel and - lurking away under the table until uunix decides what to do with another one - an Octane, and see my .sig for the non-IRIX set-up).

For CDROMs, my I2 has happily read from / burned to a Yamaha 8824S (but not sure if you could boot from it). A CDROM sled is working its way up the list of desiderata.

Welcome to nekochan
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
ajw99uk wrote:
julesr wrote: Thanks - yeah, it is... I think I may have some larger-capacity RAM for it, but to be honest what with the graphics option and additional drive it's probably just about at the limit cooling-wise already - and 384 should be enough to play with!

Do you have 12x 32MB SIMMs? Swapping to 8x 64MB (ideally single sided) or 4x 128MB (if you can find them!) could give you more RAM for less power/heat? I don't stretch the 384MB in my I2 but that's "only" an R4K so I tend to avoid multi-multi-tasking!

Nice machine - wish I'd "gone purple" when jumping into SGI ownership. Don't think I'd get away with adding a second I2 (having since acquired a Fuel and - lurking away under the table until uunix decides what to do with another one - an Octane, and see my .sig for the non-IRIX set-up).

For CDROMs, my I2 has happily read from / burned to a Yamaha 8824S (but not sure if you could boot from it). A CDROM sled is working its way up the list of desiderata.

Welcome to nekochan

aj, that penny Octane is all yours unless you don't want it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
ajw99uk wrote: Do you have 12x 32MB SIMMs? Swapping to 8x 64MB (ideally single sided) or 4x 128MB (if you can find them!) could give you more RAM for less power/heat? I don't stretch the 384MB in my I2 but that's "only" an R4K so I tend to avoid multi-multi-tasking!

Yes, the machine's got 12x32 at the moment - I hadn't actually thought of larger-capacity modules being less power-hungry, but maybe they are and so there's scope for boosting the RAM without contributing significantly to the heat.

I had the choice of a teal or purple machine, and that was a no-brainer as I really don't like the look of teal ones ;) I didn't know at the time that it had such a high-spec (I'm not sure that the previous owner did either, he'd never actually powered it up), and that it had its shipping box and feet.
Jules,

Have fun! ;)

Steve
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
ScutBoy wrote: Jules,
Have fun! ;)
Steve

Steve! Definitely. It's a beautiful system!

Did you see that I got the Origin loaded up as far as possible (it doesn't have the right router boards to take four nodes)? It does indeed have a snafu front-panel switch as you suspected, but I think that I can fix it. I left it running on Friday because it was a cold day and it kept the room nice and toasty ;)

J.
Indigo2 MaxImpact is definitely a very nice Indigo2. Congrats.

julesr wrote: Did you see that I got the Origin loaded up as far as possible (it doesn't have the right router boards to take four nodes)? It does indeed have a snafu front-panel switch as you suspected, but I think that I can fix it.

I have both the router board(s) and the front panel switch but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Very nice system indeed :)
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200: