SGI: hinv

My Octane 2*R12k 360MHz, 1Gb, EMXI - Page 2

vishnu wrote: If you set shaded view in the perspective window is it still responsive to pan, dolly and zoom? Beautiful render though, very nice. Is that the Maya built in renderer or Mental Ray?

The performance is still okay. The scene is simple - most of models are lo-poly except for the cables and it takes that long to render only because of multiple light sources and a deep shadow ray tracing. Yes, I use Mental Ray for that.
Thanks to TeamBlackFox the memory is now maxed out. Hinv updated.
Wow - this scene looks good. Did you model that by yourself?
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Geoman wrote: Wow - this scene looks good. Did you model that by yourself?

Thanks ;) yup, and here is the full movie - a dedication to the Netscape's 20th anniversary :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBV-0yd8ha0
Nice! jwz wrote the first version of the Unix Netscape Navigator (mostly) on an sgi.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Excellent chap. Love it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
Lol, I had to remove two memory modules because that EVO crap didn't seem to want to work with 2 Gigs of RAM. Setting "SRV_LOMEM_POOL" to "1" helped just a little bit - it fixed analog inputs, but digital inputs remained non-functional. So frustrating. Although i can imagine how frustrated could be a hypotetical Octane+EVO owner who purchsed an overpriced memory upgrade back in late 90s only to find out it was a total waste of money. So lame. hinv updated. :evil:
Well that's frustrating :-( but I hope you can work with 1,5 GB memory then without much swapping.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Awesome work btw :) Still use my Onyx2 for rendering stills and modeling at the office
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
sgtprobe wrote: Hey, thats a great machine and loving this thread :)

Likewise! It's so nice to see someone share the same amount of passion for SGI.

nongrato wrote: Shake is slow. The only way to preview the composiotion is to render it to the flipbook and you need tons of memory for that.

Did you consider working with proxies? That's what makes Shake really shine. Working with proxies I can still get an amazingly amount of work done, ‘even’ on an O2.
:O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO... :O3200: :Tezro: :Indigo2:
What are "proxies" exactly? How do i use them?
Proxies are low resolution images that you substitute for your high resolution images so you can work faster. Once your script is assembled with proxies you return it to full resolution for final render. You can also use proxies to temporarily view anamorphic images in flattened space. Proxies are controlled in three ways in the Globals section of the interface, useProxy, useProxy + pre-rendering your proxy files, and interactiveScale. Click on the Globals tab in the Parameters workspace and expand the useProxy setting... Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Wow, this really makes a huge difference! Thanks alot!