SGI: hinv

Octane / Dual Head

Well, here is my new toy. You'll have to wait for the exact specs because I'm very short of time, and right now my only test was a single power-up with the main peripherals plugged-in to see if everything works as expected.

The obligatory "hinv" and "gfxinfo" will follow soon. Enjoy the pict by now,
Diego

Attachment:
Octane-Dual-Head.jpg
Octane-Dual-Head.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 2636 times ]

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
GeneratriX wrote:
Well, here is my new toy...

hey diego

sgis are back in your place?

(good news)

couldn't stand pee-cee stuff only eh?
fu wrote:
hey diego

sgis are back in your place?

(good news)

Well, you know... there is no men that could resist these atraction for a nice dual-head girl! ;)

fu wrote:
couldn't stand pee-cee stuff only eh?

Heheh... well, it is not so bad lately; in fact I think Ubuntu is pretty good. But I could not refuse to provide a good home for an IRIX64 machine, right?
Cheers,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

Very nice!, I'm finally posting this from the Octane!

Code:
hinv -vm
PM10250MHZ Board: barcode GMW310     part 030-1284-002 rev  B
IP30 Board: barcode DZL443     part 030-0887-005 rev  A
PWR.SPPLY.ER Board: barcode AAE8280598 part 060-0035-001 rev  B
FP1 Board: barcode 58337C     part 030-0891-003 rev  E
MOT10 Board: barcode GMH334     part 030-1241-002 rev  G
MOT10 Board: barcode HPA444     part 030-1241-002 rev  G
1 250 MHZ IP30 Processor
Heart ASIC: Revision E
CPU: MIPS R10000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.4
FPU: MIPS R10010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 1536 Mbytes
Xbow ASIC: Revision 1.3
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
CDROM: unit 1 on SCSI controller 1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty2
IOC3 parallel port: plp1
Graphics board: ESI with texture option
Graphics board: ESI
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, pci 2
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 12.0, number 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0003) PCI slot 2
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1077, device 0x1020) PCI slot 0
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1077, device 0x1020) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0005) PCI slot 3

Code:
/usr/gfx/gfxinfo
Graphics board 0 is "IMPACTSR" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024
Product ID 0x2, 1 GE, 1 RE, 4 TRAMs
MGRAS revision 4, RA revision 0
HQ rev B, GE12 rev A, RE4 rev C, PP1 rev E,
VC3 rev A, CMAP rev E, Heart rev E
19" monitor (id 0x1)

Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 72.24Hz (1280x1024_72)
Graphics board 1 is "IMPACTSR" graphics.
Managed (":0.1") 1280x1024
Product ID 0x2, 1 GE, 1 RE, 0 TRAMs
MGRAS revision 4, RA revision 0
HQ rev B, GE12 rev A, RE4 rev C, PP1 rev E,
VC3 rev A, CMAP rev E, Heart rev E
unknown, assuming 19" monitor (id 0xf)

Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (1280x1024_60)

Octane / Dual Head

So, new life for the Octane.

I've replaced the two Silicon Graphics GDM-20E21 with a couple Compaq P1220... since one of the GDM-20E21 suffered some damages and the other was sold to complete an order from an old customer.

As you can see, the Compaq monitors are not working yet with the IP30 because I still need the required 13W3-To-HD15 adapters. For what I can see, the graphic performance is good, and there are extensive features included. The chassis are built by NEC/Mitsubishi, and the overall quality is fine.

Attachment:
Octane-Dual-Head-00.JPG
Octane-Dual-Head-00.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 2496 times ]

I'll add another picture once the Octane is working. Also, since they have two inputs each, I've configured another dual-head box with the same displays using my Ubuntu PeeCee with the spare inputs from each monitor. It appears comfortable.

Octane / Dual Head

GeneratriX wrote:
Also, since they have two inputs each, I've configured another dual-head box with the same displays using my Ubuntu PeeCee with the spare inputs from each monitor. It appears comfortable.

Do you use the Bunty PeeCee much ? If you do, that setup looks like Teleffect / Synergy could be a nice arrangement.
hamei wrote:
Do you use the Bunty PeeCee much ? If you do, that setup looks like Teleffect / Synergy could be a nice arrangement.

Hey there, Hamei!
...yes, I use the PeeCee a lot, since it was mostly geared toward my commerical activities. I've tried Teleffect in the past, and I think I've used it between Win NT 4.0 and IRIX, and later between Win 2K Pro and IRIX... but I don't know if there is any release for Linux?

After some quick reading, it seems x2x could work:

Teleffect is just too cool!

(Check the latest post from squeen)

...Or maybe I should check for your second suggestion, that Chris Jones also suggested here:

SGI fuel/octane comparison question - SGI

Which was a very nice finding, Mr. Hamei, since I was not awared of these app at all! :)
...so, I'm right now reading on the Synergy site to learn if I could use it here!

So, what do you think about my two new thingies?
All the best,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

GeneratriX wrote:
So, what do you think about my two new thingies?

They will look nicer when you get an adapter on at least one and the Octane up and running :D

With a double head setup like yours, do you have to run both grafix cards at the same resolution ? You do with a dcd but yours has two complete graphics systems ...
hamei wrote:
They will look nicer when you get an adapter on at least one and the Octane up and running :D

I'm actually running them dual-head with Ubuntu! :) ...I've arranged the dual-head there by using the HD15 output for the primary, and a DVI/HD15 cable for the secondary.

I'll have to split a 13W3 cable to hook up two HD15 at the end of each half, so I can use the Octane... so, I'll have the franken-cables ready on next hours! :D

hamei wrote:
With a double head setup like yours, do you have to run both grafix cards at the same resolution ? You do with a dcd but yours has two complete graphics systems ...

Yes, my IP30 has an ESI card without TRAM, and another ESI card this one with TRAM... about the resolution issues... well... I don't know! :) ...I'll have to check as soon I have it working with the new monitors, since with the previous ones I've just used it for a short period of time before to appart one of those GDM-20E21 for a PeeCee.

With Ubuntu you can choose any kind of combo you want... in fact they will run up to 2048x1536@80Hz, but I find everything too little for my taste, so I'm actually doing it at 1600x1200@85Hz.

But I seem to recall that you can choose different refreshes and resolutions with the Octane too... but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll need to run both of them at 1280x1024@76Hz ...since I think this is the highest visual to support 32db ("DX 1280x1024_76_32db") ...I could also do "X Custom-1RSS-1408x1024_76" but it sadly does not supports 32db.

On a few hours I would be able to check it... but the only problem is... I don't know where to buy ten male BNC connectors and ten female BNC connectors on sunday! :P

Octane / Dual Head

hamei wrote:

And now? :)

Attachment:
DSCF7120.JPG
DSCF7120.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2420 times ]

...sorry for the red'ish light tint ...I guess I'm under a warm illumination! :)

Octane / Dual Head

GeneratriX wrote:
And now? :)

Now you need to go fix the lightbar of your Octane. That, or the photo is tricked :D

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
Now you need to go fix the lightbar of your Octane. That, or the photo is tricked :D

No!, there is no trick there! It works!, believe me! :mrgreen:
...I've always wondered why my lightbar only lights on while the Octane is on the POST stage, and then suddendly it light off! What is the trick to have the thing working all the time? Or are different lights/LED's for each stage?

Also, anyone knows how to switch between the different kinds of dual-head modes? I mean, this thing actually behaves a bit like if they were two different machines wotking with Teleffect, or anything like that... you know, if I open a programme on the first desktop, it will show up on first desktop, and I could not move it to the second one... i.e.: each toolchest launch the apps for the desktop where it lives... am I being clear?

I can setup different resolutions/refreshes for each desktop, and all the rest... but I've not discovered how to make it work as single double-length desktop distributed along the two monitors... do you know how to achieve this?

Octane / Dual Head

The Octane lightbar glows red during POST, then switches to the white incandescent bulbs afterward. Looks like your bulbs are burnt, which is a universal problem with older Octanes. Thankfully they can be easily replaced with LED lights if you're willing to do a bit of soldering - there is a full tutorial floating around.

Nice rig!
Quote:
Also, anyone knows how to switch between the different kinds of dual-head modes?

Try "chkconfig xinerama on" (you may have to use the -f option if it complains). By enabling xinerama, the two displays will act as a single large display :)
This can have some weird side effects if one head supports texturing and the other doesn't, though.
Hey there, guys! Thanks for the useful replies! ;)

ajerimez wrote:
The Octane lightbar glows red during POST, then switches to the white incandescent bulbs afterward. Looks like your bulbs are burnt, which is a universal problem with older Octanes. Thankfully they can be easily replaced with LED lights if you're willing to do a bit of soldering - there is a full tutorial floating around.

Yes Aaron, you're probably right... and I was sure I've crossed with these tutorial in my path, but I could not recall where... but we have Google, so:

SGI Octane LED lightbar

...and then:

SiliconBunny's Octane KnightRider Light Bar Mod
The Octane KnightRider Light Bar

...I guess the KITT / Battlestar Galactica stuff is a bit too much for me right now, since I can't dispose the time to arrange the up/down sequencer... :) ....but I'll practice the solid LED fixing from the first link!

ajerimez wrote:
Nice rig!

Thanks!, I'm pretty happy with it... now I only need to add some more disk space! :)

ShadeOfBlue wrote:
Try "chkconfig xinerama on" (you may have to use the -f option if it complains). By enabling xinerama, the two displays will act as a single large display :)
This can have some weird side effects if one head supports texturing and the other doesn't, though.

Yes!, that was what I've searched for! :)
I'll check how bad things are with the mix of TRAM/no-TRAM stuff, and I'll keep it reported here! ...which brings me to the next question: -is it possible to fit TRAM on the second ESI card too?, or when you uses dual-head, the Octane only allows for 1 TRAM, and 1 no-TRAM? :)

Thanks in advance! All the best,
Diego

Octane / Dual Head