Japan

Recommended Contemporary Anime

Because I'm bored and this forum needs more discussion.

Code Geass (both seasons)
Gundam 00
ef - a tale of memories
ef - a tale of melodies
CLANNAD
CLANNAD After Story
GITS:SAC, SAC 2nd GiG and movies
Ouran High School Host Club (very, very entertaining)
Death Note
MONSTER
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Kai
Detroit Metal City (simply entertaining
Black Lagoon (simply entertaining)

And that's all I can think of. Be prepared to justify any suggestions you make.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C 1st GIG
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell Movies
Hellsing
Cowboy Bebop
Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heavens Door
If you like romance school comedies you'll like Vampire Knight , if you like vampire dramas you might like it too as it's more in depth than other vampire shows I've seen.

Chaos:Head is airing now and is seriously awesome, it deals with a delusional kid who's caught up in a world with people who can make delusions reality and it's pretty wild. Seriously sometimes you don't know if something happening is 'real' or a delusion, pretty interesting.

I like Noein in the same vein, it deals with alternate dimensions and travelling between them, pretty cool stuff and it has a non-standard drawing style as well which makes it nice.

Mahō Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto: Natsu no Sora is a show centering a young girl from a family of mages in a world where magic is real. She goes to a school in tokyo to go through training, meets somebody and yeah. It's a cute anime and you guys might like it although it's short and ends abruptly.

Noein is one of my favorites too. i bought the set while i was down at Disney world earlier this year. being a terribly rainy period (tropical storm came in) my daughter, aged 9 and I sat and watched the entire collection in a couple of sittings :)

Samurai 7 - is also a favorite (as well as the original B&W Shichinin no samurai).

DECUS Member 368596
Gray Fox wrote:
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C 1st GIG
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell Movies
Hellsing
Cowboy Bebop
Cowboy Bebop Knocking on Heavens Door

What? How in the world does Hellsing make the list? It was short, rushed, and the only thing going for it was the vampire police officer, who wasn't fleshed out. The only thing going for the vampire police officer was that she was hot.

The ending theme is good, but that's all I'll give it.

Chaos;Head was boring. I watch 6 episodes, I think 'okay please explain this Di-Sword thing already please' and what do I get? More episodes that leave me hanging. The OP+ED themes suck. And guess what, it's only slated to run for 13 episodes. So much for pacing.

The other suggestions I haven't watched, so I can't bash yet. I'll be back.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
the entire Ghost in the Shell series is a must see!
set in a cyber punk setting, i think it would catch interest from most of us computer enthusiasts.
the original author of the manga (Masamune Shirow) was heavily interested in technology, and it shows.
extremely deep, its my absolute favorite anime/manga sofar.

it also strongly influenced the Wachowski brothers in the making of The Matrix

Quote:
The "digital rain" is strongly reminiscent of similar computer code in the film Ghost in the Shell, an acknowledged influence on the Matrix series

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_matrix ... ion_design

Quote:
Japanese director Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell was a strong influence. Producer Joel Silver has stated that the Wachowski brothers first described their intentions for The Matrix by showing him that anime and saying, "We wanna do that for real". Mitsuhisa Ishikawa of Production I.G, which produced Ghost in the Shell, noted that the anime's high-quality visuals were a strong source of inspiration for the Wachowski brothers. He also commented, "... cyberpunk films are very difficult to describe to a third person. I'd imagine that The Matrix is the kind of film that was very difficult to draw up a written proposal for to take to film studios". He stated that since Ghost in the Shell had gained recognition in America, the Wachowski brothers used it as a "promotional tool".

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_matrix ... pretations

and hidden within the Innocence movie i found this shot of their little tribute to IRIX (or at least gr_osview ;) )

skywriter wrote:
Noein is one of my favorites too.
Samurai 7 - is also a favorite (as well as the original B&W Shichinin no samurai).

...and add that Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden are my longest running (literally) fav's.

DECUS Member 368596
I would say DBZ!
Well I like it anyway.

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 4GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530
I'll go out on a limb here because it's not finished yet, but Eden of the East is definitely shaping up to be a great anime. It's from Kenji Kamiyama and Production IG, what would you expect? It's hard not to recommend an anime that asks the protagonist to show his Johnny.

anyone know when 'ponyo on the cliff by the sea' comes out on dvd? english or japanese ok!

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
anyone know when 'ponyo on the cliff by the sea' comes out on dvd? english or japanese ok!

Rumor has it that July 3rd, '09 is the release date for the Japanese DVD. It's supposed to have English subs too. Not sure about a BluRay release.
zafunk wrote:
skywriter wrote:

Rumor has it that July 3rd, '09 is the release date for the Japanese DVD. It's supposed to have English subs too. Not sure about a BluRay release.

thx! was just wondering that again yesterday :)

DECUS Member 368596
I've just finished watching good old Hatsukoi Limited. I'm a huge fan of Mizuki Kawashita's works, read the manga of Ichigo 100%, Hatsukoi Limited before I saw the anime, hardcore I tell you, her new series starts on July, and as usual, I can't wait.

Hatsukoi Limited is unremarkable. I'm serious. I'm recommending an anime with average music, characters that have their own personality but don't sparkle all the time (well, Misaki is an exception, she is definitely what I'd go for IRL), all because it depicts the process of falling in love very well.

That's the only reason I'm recommending it, and that's the only reason why anybody should watch it. At the end of it all, you don't feel let down, you don't feel like there are any loose ends (and if there are, why, it's not the anime's fault, it's because it lasted only 12 episodes), you feel like you've just fallen in love with falling in love.

Just watch it. And then read the manga.

EDIT: I love every GITS except Innocence. That movie SUCKED.

My suggestions:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Kumo no mukou, yakusoku no basho
Azumanga Daioh
Last Exile

Other systems from my collection:
IBM PReP 43P/120, HP 9000/712, DEC VAXstation 4000 model 60, HP Envizex II, DEC AlphaStation 200, Amiga 2000, HP NetServer LH4r, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Atari 512ST, Sun SPARCengine CP1500, Sun SPARCengine Ultra AXi
skywriter wrote:
zafunk wrote:
skywriter wrote:

thx! was just wondering that again yesterday :)

ponyo finally hit the local theater. i'll try to see it this weekend

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
ponyo finally hit the local theater. i'll try to see it this weekend

visually another Miyazaki masterpiece! great storyline.

not wild over the english 'voice talent' though. a lot of famous film/tv names without bringing anything to the film. should have used real voice talent.

DECUS Member 368596
ritchan wrote:
EDIT: I love every GITS except Innocence. That movie SUCKED.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it sucked, just really different from the usual GITS template.

Perhaps the lack of the good looking, strong female protagonist is what made it a miss for you! :P

On the topic at hand, I highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain, really trippy, and interesting. (not to mention its all revolves around computers, and has IRIX)

Its a little bit older but "Grave of the fireflies" its one of my favorites!, and get some tissues before it starts!