we have now released version 0.95 with a lot of new features and one of them is the obj loader someone was asking for. It can be downloaded at
Someone might ask what the difference between the freeware version and the commercial one is:
- FHS Writer (a special format needed mainly by german automotive companies)
- CSB Import
- Snapshots bigger than 640x480 px (vred support resolutions over 8192^2 with high antialiasing
- support of the AR-Tracking optical tracking device
- cluster rendering support for powerwalls, powerbenches and cave environments (we are regularly testing our software on a 48pc cluster wall which outputs 6144x3076 pixels in passive stereo at impressive 32dpi, see here
). Would be working under IRIX as well, but we do not know of any big sgi rendering cluster
Note for IRIX users:
Some features require the use of a newer generation pc type graphics card. The may be working on onyxes with the ati graphics but we did not test it.
PS: Here is the changelist
- rendering: support for local light sources (enable in RenderPreferences)
- rendering: added new SpecTexChunk for correct specular highlights on texture (some call it Spextra)
- rendering: added TwoSidedLightingChunk to enable double sided lighting on material basis.
- rendering: added CG support to OpenGL Shading Language Chunk.
- rendering: new software rendering option (RenderPreferences)
- obj-import: reactivated obj loader.
- csb-import: support for local lights
- optimization: added new share optimize options ( which saves a lot of memory on disk as well as on graphic card)
- renderpreferences: added new cache scene option
- materialeditor: textures can be written to disk
- materiallibrary: added user definable material library.
- material sort key.
- scripting: new vrSpeech event (see speech.py example, needs http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/SDK51)
- scripting: new vrWidget action (see widget.py)
- scripting: added setUpdateDuration und setFrame to vrVideoGrab action.
- scripting: huge speed improvement for findNode() via new initFindCache() method see find2.py.
- examples: new GLSL example added (bounce.py)
- added experimental raytracer
- Lights: added auto beacon creation and much improved transform handling.
- improved script and shader editor.
- navigation: right-mouse-button-shift-control changes the at point of the virtual trackball.
- cluster: added new cluster service/daemon for auto starting the cluster servers.
- cluster: added server autostart via rsh and many bugfixes.
- cluster: added render statistic to cluster server.
- cluster: added stereo mode to powerwall configuration.
- csb-import: Correct Blendfunctions are used for grayscale shadow textures
- povray-export: exports textures now.
- scripting: added some missing python dll's.
- optimization: fixed some crashs with shared geometry porperties.
- materialeditor: select nodes speed improvement.
- materialeditor: improved gui resize behavior.
- materialeditor: SHLChunk GUI-parameters can be configured via special GLSL comments
uniform vec3 SurfaceColor; // color
uniform float ambient; // slider<-1.0 1.0 0.05>
uniform float specular; // wheel<-10.0 10.0 0.05>
"color" creates a color manipulator
"slider" or "slider<min, max, step>" creates a slider
"wheel" or "wheel<step>" or "wheel<min, max, step>" creates a wheel
- improved hdr support.
- improved GLSL Shader support.
- ActiveX: many bugfixes and improvements.
- scripting: improved videograb action, added user definable video resolution.
- scripting: added online help just type help(<CLASSNAME>) in the terminal,
- scripting: updated the online documentation.
- optimize: improved speed with many nodes.