SGI: Computer Graphics

AutoCad (13) Irix any experiences ?

R13 unix... any experiences ? i MUST do some simple modelling IN AutoCad by contract, though it would be fun done it on Irix/indigo2 ... i found some article explaining AutoCad 14 under SoftWindows if it even runs ...

cheers
It sucks the same as all the other versions. I'm not 100% sure if I've used 13, but I think 12 on IRIX. Maybe 13. I don't think "AutoCAD" and "modelling" belong in the same sentence. That said, it has its place, it's very handy for some kinds of drawings, determining angular relationships, laying out optics, for example. I don't really remember any significant differences between platforms for AutoCAD, pc/unix were fairly equivalent.
It sucks the same as all the other versions.
humm ... i don`t think so, because it`s an industrial cad standard indeed ...
I don't think "AutoCAD" and "modelling" belong in the same sentence
? constructing wired 3D architectural objects from plain views, before exporting them to some powerful animation / rendering tool it`s a quite standard task for acad ...
cybercow wrote:

hehe, was, was an industrial standard - well, ok, it's still used for 2D. Look, when it came out in the early '80s, it was revolutionary, became a standard. And if you learned that version, you can still use the program today, in the same way. See the problem?

It's quite capable for a lot of 2D tasks, which there are still many. But when they first added 3D, it was basically allowing you another dimension to draw your lines, there weren't any primitives or other features. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But I'm biased from my engineering background, where having parametric capabilities is a big advantage. For other applications, that's not as important, and it's lasted longer there - architecture is apparently one.

Also, sucking is not incompatible with being a standard. Happens all the time.
I don't think "AutoCAD" and "modelling" belong in the same sentence
? constructing wired 3D architectural objects from plain views, before exporting them to some powerful animation / rendering tool it`s a quite standard task for acad ...

I still basically stand by my statement, although your right that it is a task done by acad. But if your used to another 3D "modelling" package, I think you'll be disappointed. You're looking for experiences, right? 3D is not the forte of 12, or 13. But generally, Autodesk has add-ons that will make your task at hand easier - whether it is architectural or mechanical or electrical, and those make a difference. However, all the unix versions I came across were "vanilla" autocad, or maybe had some 3D mechanical extensions. I don't know if any architectural versions were there for unix. If your modelling background was 3D "graphics" (surfaces, Maya, etc), you'll probably find acad a bit more livable than if your background was 3D mcad, where solids, parametric features are more essential. But I still don't think you'll like 13 that much for 3D. Later versions add more 3D capabilities. But I haven't used it's 3D features in years, it's strictly a 2D package for me.
dc_v01 wrote:
cybercow wrote:

hehe, was, was an industrial standard - well, ok, it's still used for 2D.

"Common" != "standard" :-)

i actually like wireframe better sometimes but autocad isn't even good at that. Cadkey kicked Acad's ass all around the ring for the last ten rounds. There was even a solaris version of cadkey 6 available.

I'd still like to see Acad 13 on Irix tho just for fun. Never heard of anyone who even saw it in the flesh ... do you have a copy, cyber ? Not soliciting software here, just wondering out of idle curiosity !

constructing wired 3D architectural objects from plain views, before exporting them to some powerful animation / rendering tool it`s a quite standard task for acad ...

Why would anyone want to do that ? Unless you have years of experience running Autocrap which you are leveraging, then all the tools in other applications are better. Importing always sucks.

If you want a really nifty 2D wireframe app, find a copy of ME10. Pretty sure there was an Irix version of that but have never seen one of those either :-( Was very nice in DOS, tho.
AutoCAD 13 was the point I jumped ship, both from AutoCAD and from Windoze. Still, for old time sake I'd love to see 13 (or 12) running under IRIX!
squeen wrote: AutoCAD 13 was the point I jumped ship, both from AutoCAD and from Windoze. Still, for old time sake I'd love to see 13 (or 12) running under IRIX!

Worst part is, 2.52 was okay. Then they jumped to 9.something which was okay-ish, then incremented up to 12 which was supposedly good (for autocad, but by then i'd found something much better) and along came 13 ... which was a disaster. Supposedly 14 is the one to have for historic Acad. It's the same as version 13 except that it works :)
hamei wrote: Supposedly 14 is the one to have for historic Acad. It's the same as version 13 except that it works :)

True, 14 was a very good improvement over 13. Speed wise it was miles ahead of 13. The next great release was 2000, after that it's all AutoDesk( :evil: ) bloat-ware.

I could still use 14 today and be very productive...very! I think you could safely compare AutoCAD 14 with Microstation 95, on a strictly timeline basis...

Jacques.
No SGI box currently...Snif!
But do I understand correctly that the ( supposedly workable ) version 14 of AC was never released for Irix :?:
And was AutoCad the only Architectural drawing software available for Irix :?:
I can feel it, my mind is going ....
ka0s wrote: But do I understand correctly that the ( supposedly workable ) version 14 of AC was never released for Irix :?:
And was AutoCad the only Architectural drawing software available for Irix :?:

The AutoCad from the old days was never a "Architectural drawing software". Using " ICEM DDN " you can drive circles around.

Ah.. google have some images
http://images.google.de/images?q=icem+ddn&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&start=40&sa=N
http://images.google.de/images?q=icem+ddn&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=de&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&start=60&sa=N
regards
Joerg
Bentley released Microstation for IRIX, which runs pretty well even on an Indigo running IRIX 5.3. There's a screenshot in my gallery section.