SGI: Computer Graphics

VRML lives! - Page 1

Hi, everyone! I am proud to introduce my first VRML scene created completely on SGI hardware. Modelling is done in Maya, animation and scene assembly in CosmoWorlds. The scene can be accessed at:

http://sgizone.co.nf/haunted/

Important! In order to view the scene, VRML browser plugin is required(CosmoPlayer, Nexternet Pivoron). On a modern Windose PeeeCeee the scene can be viewed with Cortona3D viewer although its not recommended.

Tested under:
IRIX 6.5.30f, Netscape 4.8, CosmoPlayer 2.1
Windows 2000, Internet Explorer 5, CosmoPlayer 2.1.1
Windows 7, Firefox 41, Cortona3D viewer

Screenshots:
Image Image Image Image
:Octane2: :320:
nongrato wrote: Hi, everyone! I am proud to introduce my first VRML scene created completely on SGI hardware.

Pretty cool :D

I think you are ready for Dwarf Fortress tho ...

I wonder if we could talk him into building that on Irix ? It'd be a natural for a multi-p Origin ...
This is awesome! This is the true meaning of a masterpiece.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
It is very nice. The look of the olden days 3D graphics is much more appealing to me than the new stuff.

Is that going to be a haunted house ride? Perhaps it could actually be made to be ride through like Horizons Resurrected.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
Did anyone actually get to try this in action? I could make a video demonstration if no one wants to mess with installing VRML plugin.
I am right now. Also, nice teapot. ;)
I can do the video if you want but it's a bit....heavy on even a 300mhz R5K O2. A couple spots are serious slideshows.

Edited: I managed to put something together. Pardon the audio. It should be live at https://youtu.be/1A3J7G_qv3E sometime after 1PM PST.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: IAlso, nice teapot. ;)

I put a few more easter eggs in there. Did you find them all?
A couple spots are serious slideshows.

Yes, I tried to keep models as low-poly as possible, but still animation is not super smooth even on core i5 with geForce gts 250. Looks like a limitation of VRML technology.
Cool!
man, your commentary rocks!

here is also my video showing easter eggs you missed:

Nice! :mrgreen:

What version of Maya did you use?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Krokodil wrote: It is very nice. The look of the olden days 3D graphics is much more appealing to me than the new stuff.

Is that going to be a haunted house ride? Perhaps it could actually be made to be ride through like Horizons Resurrected.

Err my bad, the pictures were deceptive, it actually is a ride through thing. Neat.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
vishnu wrote: What version of Maya did you use?

Probably could be done in any modelling software, but Maya can export models to vrml.
nongrato wrote:
vishnu wrote: What version of Maya did you use?

Probably could be done in any modelling software, but Maya can export models to vrml.

Well it's very impressive! I had no idea CosmoWorlds had that level of functionality, I'll have to check it out... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Cool ! Time to boot my Octane to test this one out!
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Well done ! You put a lot of effort into this !

In the beginning of the tour I had to find out how to get out of this cart in front of the skull-entrance, but then it went smoothly.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Geoman wrote: Well done !
how to get out of this cart.

thanks, but you don't need to leave the cart.
Nice ride. But:
On a modern Windose PeeeCeee the scene can be viewed with Cortona3D viewer although its not recommended.

I've used Cortona 3D Viewer for years because it supports Direct3D 9 (and therefore stereoscopy) and never found anything wrong with it. Why do you say it's not recommended?
Devil Master wrote: Why do you say it's not recommended?

It's not 100% compatible with CosmoPlayer: different global light rendering, different collision detection.
nongrato wrote: It's not 100% compatible with CosmoPlayer: different global light rendering, different collision detection.

Ah, so that must be why I could get out of the cart. In fact, the first time I just walked through the whole ride, because I couldn't find any lever or button to start the cart. Only later I discovered I was supposed to click on the Go arrow: maybe the design should've been a little more obvious? ;)
FYI - The CosmoPlayer 2.1.1 plugin from the 2006 Application CD works with Mozilla also. Just use the .so from the plugin32 directory.