SGI: Computer Graphics

[Review] ELECTROGIG 3DGO

thanks to a nice person i recently had the opportunity to spend some time with quite a rarity amongst the irix gfx programs:
ELECTROGIG's GIG3DGO 3.0.1

due to the limited time i don't know the program very well and can't tell much but i could make a few screen shots which i attached to the end of this post.

ELECTROGIG was a dutch company that offered a number of gfx products in the 90s but never reached a popularity like alias or softimage. here's a quote from a business wire article from 1995:
ELECTROGIG's GIG3DGO is a full-featured 3D graphics software system that offers basic modeling, rendering and animation in their base package. GIG3DGO Advanced includes organic modeling/animation and distributed rendering capabilities. The company's products are well recognized, by customers and industry observers alike, for their ease-of-use, high speed rendering capabilities and intuitive solids-based modeling approach. Earlier this year, BYTE magazine named GIG3DGO 3.0 "Best-of-Show" in the multimedia category at CeBit in Hanover, Germany.

now to the actual program. as you can see the ui is different from all others yet quite handy as far as i can tell given the short time i spent with it. unlike most other major contenders there're only 3 viewports instead of 4. the ui design is, as usual for irix proggies, very well chosen; unobtrusive colors, clear contrasts and no irritating, useless chic.
the menus are quite compact and in most cases located in the lower left corner. the content of the "flexible" area changes to whatever menu is selected currently. you can either enter things numerical or sometimes also by clicking on the color fields for example.
a nice feature at least for me are the "prev" and "next" buttons which allow to jump back and forth considering which menus you have used. like a menu history quick access.
certain parts have their own full windows such as the nurbs modeler and the animation part. there's also a very comfortable project manager and converter.
the renderer seems sharp and fast and a good general trade off considering speed vs. quality.
usage, as usual with irix stuff, is nice and efficient. no bloatware or any toys that would degrade performance. the only fancyness you'll see there are the 3d borders of the buttons in the converter's ui :P

i know it's a bit short but that's about all i can tell given the short time i spent with it. enjoy the pics ... :-)
Many thanks, another great addition !

I have only seen the CD of this software. It's a very clean and smooth UI.

It's running on 5.3 or 6.2 ?
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
arhiman57 wrote: It's running on 5.3 or 6.2 ?

the screen shots are from 6.5. i didn't have the opportunity to try it on other versions.
Coool. And that's the ideal interface (or near enough): minimal without confusing icons.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides
That's weird, the first and third screenshots look like the widgets were implemented in Motif and the rest of it looks like it was implemented in OpenGL, which is the way the Blender guys did it...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Maybe the screenshots are photoshopped? ;-P
Torfinn
tingo wrote: Maybe the screenshots are photoshopped? ;-P

hehe no
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum but as this topic is "fairly" recent, I thought I'ld respond.

I presume I am the only person still using ElectroGig for production.
I have it running under Linux on a Mac Pro giving me 4 processors to render.
Each processor in this older 2.6GHz Mac Pro renders about 1.4 times as fast as an SGI Origin 2000 16Processor rack.

The Linux version unfortunately does not have all options enabled like eps and obj import and such.
For that I use an SGI O2 with a fully licensed copy of ElectroGig to import stuff, convert image maps and save it to a model.
That model is then copied to the MacPro for further editing and modeling.

With enough render power ElectroGig happily renders in full 1080p with softshadows at the highest render settings.

Any questions about ElectroGig, let me know.
[email protected]

See http://www.liebrand.com for more examples of ElectroGig generated images.

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_1928.M4V [ 51.17 MiB | Viewed 420 times ]

hi ben, great to have you here!

i've been on your site more than once for some electrogig info and whatever you can tell is most welcome of course. and i gotta say your charger rocks :P
this is a great confirmation that the most important aspect always is the artist and not the software. there're way too many people out there thinking that only with the latest and often not greatest version one can produce proper results. very wrong of course.
r-a-c.de
I'll see if I can post some making-of video as showing how ElectroGig works. I'll have to dig em up first! :)

The uploaded video does not seem to work.
So here is a link of the intro video of the Grandmix 2015.

Back in the day I was lucky to have a 3DGO license on my personal Indy, and I messed around in it a fair bit. Going through my archives I found some of my backups of the 3DGO projects I did - and now, just getting back into SGI, I am left wondering if I will ever find that software again, and be able to use it - on the off chance anyone knows, I thought I'd ask: anyone got ElectroGIG 3DGO and know how to install it/license it, even still today - or is this great piece of software relegated to the dustbins of software history these days .. ?
seclorum wrote: Back in the day I was lucky to have a 3DGO license on my personal Indy, and I messed around in it a fair bit. Going through my archives I found some of my backups of the 3DGO projects I did - and now, just getting back into SGI, I am left wondering if I will ever find that software again, and be able to use it - on the off chance anyone knows, I thought I'd ask: anyone got ElectroGIG 3DGO and know how to install it/license it, even still today - or is this great piece of software relegated to the dustbins of software history these days .. ?

:roll: Wondering what the life span of this post is going to be.. :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
I'm not looking to pirate software - just wondering if anyone knows if it completely gone, if its abandonware, or if its just a pipe dream that I'll ever get these project files open again. Seriously, not trying to pirate! (I *did* have an original license once, though.. ;)

I'd be quite happy to just hear from someone who knows what 3DGO was! :)
For all that want a closer look at Electrogig, Here is a making of video. Shot with a GoPro as time-lapse and thus also shows the keyboard.

Files (438 MB total)
GM2014artworkbuild.mp4
Download link
http://we.tl/t5S6A8ygdx
great, thanks, grabbing right now :D
r-a-c.de