SGI: Computer Graphics

Graphics Question - Page 2

josehill wrote: I love "interface responsiveness." Hit the return key or click on something on a reasonable IRIX machine, and the machine feels like it immediately starts doing what you asked it to do. On a current laptop, there is an ever-so-slightly perceptible moment where it feels like the machine's mind is somewhere else, probably looking for some kewl visual effect to show you or figuring out a way to send all your personal data to some botnet controller somewhere.

haha that nails it nicely :P

it's a common problem that the advantage of faster hardware gets consumed by more bloated software which then equalizes the edge you'd actually have. in some cases it's even a step back. however irix and other unix variants are not immune to that either which is one of the reasons why i stay away from everything gtk2.
most programs reach their peak at some point i.e. the ideal mix of features, speed and usability. after that from a developer's perspective whatever you do you can only make it worse. sgi did a great job in that regard by switching to the quarterly 6.5.x updates; only adding or correcting what actually makes sense. only very few companies have ever accomplished that. under those circumstances the user actually benefits from newer machines but as i said that's very rare unfortunately.
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: most programs reach their peak at some point i.e. the ideal mix of features, speed and usability. after that from a developer's perspective whatever you do you can only make it worse. sgi did a great job in that regard by switching to the quarterly 6.5.x updates; only adding or correcting what actually makes sense. only very few companies have ever accomplished that. under those circumstances the user actually benefits from newer machines but as i said that's very rare unfortunately.

This is all true BUT there are long-tested, well-documented methods to ensure that a desktop user interface stays responsive. Even if the program itself is a bloated turd, the interface can stay responsive to input. It's tried, tested, and proven over several decades.

Also totally ignored and forgotten.

wtf ? Are all these people writing application software stupid ? Or they just don't care ? Their egos are all so big they are convinced that their program is the only one that counts and the only one which any user deserves to run ? And if it's busy well hell, the user can just wait until it's finished doing what it wants ?

There is something wrong with this situation. Either that or it's true, no one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

btw, you'll like this, foetz : several people recently have told me they are sick of US software. The German stuff seems to work better, be better designed and tested and more functional.
wrestle poodles and win ! ...
hamei wrote: several people recently have told me they are sick of US software. The German stuff seems to work better, be better designed and tested and more functional.

made in germany :P
r-a-c.de