SGI: Computer Graphics

Pretty - a few new desktop backgrounds for IRIX

Hi All,

I pulled apart my spare Fuel the other day and took the opportunity to take some piccies and make the backgrounds you can see below. The Fuel ones are 1920x1080 and the generic SGI (r16k cpu board) ones are both 1920x1080 and 1280x1024. I also got round to making an clogin icon for 'root' to match the EZsetup one I made a decade ago.

The tardist installs a little script each user needs to run to install these new backgrounds to the 'backgrounds' panel in their toolchest. After installing Pretty via the Software Manager, run

/usr/sillypages/bin/pretty

from a terminal prompt. Pretty is semi-clever about backing up your current $HOME/.backgrounds file before it adds the new background details. However, if you uninstall Pretty via the Software Manager you'll have to copy $HOME/.backgrounds.old back to $HOME/.backgrounds by hand. I guess I could automate that too but me lazy.

If you have a custom root icon the tardist does a similar backup thing and copies your current root login icon to

/.icons/login.icon.old

When you uninstall Pretty, Software Manager will restore your old root login icon.

Tardist is here:

http://www.sillypages.org/sgi/sp_pretty.tardist

Caveat: Tested only on my Fuel with a V12 and 4Gb RAM. No idea what these (large) background images may or may not do to X11 colormaps or memory on other systems.

J.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
thanks that's neat. especially fuel owners should dig it :D
jimmer wrote: Caveat: Tested only on my Fuel with a V12 and 4Gb RAM. No idea what these (large) background images may or may not do to X11 colormaps or memory on other systems.

Nice backgrounds, thanks! So far no problems on my O2 with 1600SW :-)
:O2: :Indy: :Indy:
Very decorative! Thanks a bunch... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Nice backgrounds, but apparently the subsystem with the exitop script is optional and the exitop for the images fails when it's not installed:

Code: Select all

Pre-installation check completed
Installing new versions of selected sp_pretty.art subsystems
Assigning id 60000 to unknown user/group name avi
sp_pretty.art.icons: ( /usr/sillypages/bin/root_icon_install )
/bin/sh: /usr/sillypages/bin/root_icon_install:  not found
ERROR: An error occurred while:
Installing new versions of selected sp_pretty.art subsystems
Command "( /usr/sillypages/bin/root_icon_install )" failed (return status 127, subsystem sp_pretty.art.icons 20147)
Removing orphaned directories
ah - nice catch :) How do i make a subsystem mandatory?
You need a prereq section that defines the dependencies. For example, in the neko_imagemagick package, the sw.eoe component doesn't work without the sw.lib bits:

Code: Select all

image sw
id "software"
version 17
order 9999
subsys eoe default
id "execution only env"
replaces self
prereq (
neko_imagemagick.sw.lib 17 maxint
)
exp neko_imagemagick.sw.eoe
endsubsys
Nice stuff dude.

@PymbleSoftware: I need to visit my old friend to capture his SGI collections and put up some beauty shots for archiving purposes.
@canavan - thanks! will apply this with the next release of Pretty.
What are the command line options to use this? Mine opens shows a splash screen, creates the .backgrounds file then pretty closes.
############################
Re-install with OpenBSD :)
@khalidschofield - sorry for late late response. Pretty is a bit blond I'm afraid, there's no actual binary and no command-line options. It's just a script that pops-up a splash on install, copies some background images to your machine and then modifies your backgrounds index file so you can set the copied images as a background using the stock background control panel. (Desktop->Customise->Background).