SGI: Computer Graphics

blender install--need some advice

very new to octane and have some unix--finally after lots of help from sgi general forum got blender tar on my machine

done some home work on irix

how should i install the blender tar file?--doesn't software manager manage this?
i know i must be root on machine and am semifamilar with basic unix directory file stuff

tia
peter
If your copy of Blender came from the blender.org web site , they suggest:
Blender.org wrote:
Installation instructions

To install Blender, download the appropriate package for your platform to your computer. The Windows version comes with an optional self-extracting installer, for other operating systems you can unpack the compressed file to the location of your choice.

Provided the Blender binary is in the original extracted directory, Blender will run straight out of the box. No system libraries or system preferences are altered.
The IRIX Software Manager isn't needed. Decide where you'd like to install blender and untar the archive there - it will create it's own directory. The blender.org distribution is self-contained, it should run from where ever you decide to locate the expanded tar file.

As an example <assuming you have downloaded the most recent version of Blender from their web site>:
If the blender tar file is in your home directory, tar -xvf blender-2.49a-irix-6.5-mips-py2.5.tar
That will create a directory named "blender-249a-irix-6.5-mips-py2.5"
Blender can then be run from inside that directory.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
what file runs blender--i tar the blender file into a directory called blendertar

the i ran ls
and got these files
.blender blender plugins release txt copyright blenderplayer blender.html pyton license gpl license blenderquickstart.pdf

i tried entering blender got command not found

i am really new to this and i realize this is basic but to me it is a little confusing but i have made real progress
if i get blender to work on the octane tons of aggravation will come to pass and i will move on
so, what do i do to get blender to run?--i am logged in as root and a command window is open
tia
peter

i am really getting excited at this point
to run an executable that isn't in your path type ./ beforehand; ie. type ./blender in the directory that has blender.

typed ./blender

go fatal error cannot successfully map soname--libCio.so.1

tried ./blender in home diectory and got permission denied--confused at this as i instaled as root--doesnt root hae full previledges to everything?

i hve downloaded from nekoware a version of blender but need advice/hep on how to install the file--i understand it is mch easier to install a file from nichoware

tia
peter
im getting the impression that maybe blender has to be compiled on my machine
maybe i should start all over with my tar file so that the executable is in my path--a little confused about this but i understand the basic reasoning --how should i start over and make sure it is in my path?-
isnt there a icon that i can select to run blender?

tia
peter
What version of Blender do you have and where did you get it?

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
blender 2.49a got it from blender.org
downloaded it to my macintosh and from sgi ftp to mac and got it
from my home dir on the sgi i made a dir called blendertar, into that i moved the tar file into it the i uncompressed it
found the dir it created and in that dir ran ./blender
all as root
i mentioned i also got a oldr version of blender from nechoware
i really appreciate your help here--
tia
peter
plener wrote:
go fatal error cannot successfully map soname--libCio.so.1

hints:
Code:
ldd blender

Code:
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... sfully+map

plener wrote:
im getting the impression that maybe blender has to be compiled on my machine

no.

Maybe you should do a little googling on introduction to UNIX, or visit a library and flick through any book on the topic.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :0300: <-> :0300: <-> :0300: :O200: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2000: :hpserv: J5600,
3 x SUN, 2 x Mac, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 2 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.
my friend that's what i have been doing all along
problem is knowledge of the past is corrupting the present
i was under the optical illusion that all you had to do is get the machine, the the os, and a monitor and then go for it
problem was all the technology was ancient
it was fun getting the machines but not getting my program to run-to many gotchas and you need this, this, that, and so forth
anyway there is a little fun in mudville.

on the ny linux users group someone once posted--free for pick up 50 pounds of cables--you have to take the whole thing as i cannot go thru them to find what you need.
im getting at the point to say--free octane,o2, various cables, monitor, power supply etc etc etc must pick up in the bronx x

take care
peter
It does seem complicated at first, but if you stick with it before long you'll be amazed you ever thought it was hard! Pymble posted above a hint to use the ldd command to find out what system libraries the Blender executable needs to have in order to run. ldd = "list dynamic dependencies" - so libs are "shared objects," code sharing, or reuse is the computing world's mantra and has been for a long time. Programs that need to use code from a library dynamically link to it at runtime. If the library Blender wants to link to is on your system but Blender can't find it, you can add it's location to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (also as Pymble mentioned above). To see what the contents of this environment variable are currently:

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

To add a directory to the variable, using C-shell syntax:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/some/new/directory

To do the same thing using BASH syntax:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/some/new/directory

You can use the same syntax to add directories to your $PATH (i.e. the directory where your Blender executable is located).

To find out whether you're using C-shell or BASH:

echo $SHELL

Good luck, stick with it, and HAVE FUN!
vishnu wrote:
It does seem complicated at first, but if you stick with it before long you'll be amazed you ever thought it was hard!

Good questions get good answers is another problem ...

About the blender crash, it seems to me that the blender in nekoware needs a blend file in the same directory or it crashes upon opening. I'm sure there's a topic around here to that effect and a downloadable blend file which solves that error.

The documentation for Irix is very readable and very thorough.
yes it is but the reality is something else

tia
peter
plener wrote:
yes it is but the reality is something else

If we were talking about Solaris I'd have to agree with you :) but not Irix. What it says is how it works.