SGI: Computer Graphics

Blender 2.48 - Alpha rev c - "Yafray, FFmpeg, 64 threads" - Page 1

So here it is: Blender 2.48 compiled with MIPSPro.

I bumped the max threads up to 64. Let me know if you want it higher. According to Ton due to some internal issues, you should always set the max parts (XParts * YParts) to 4x the number of threads. Of course the scaling of Blender has never really been tested above 8 CPUs so if you have a system with more CPUs than that and could give me some SSH time with the machine, I'd be willing to do some work on it. Ton is also pushing me for a 64-bit release, so we'll get that going as soon as the 32 bit version is stable. Look for it early/mid november.

Some things to keep in mind:

1) I have tested this via the command line only. I don't have access to a IRIX machine with a head. And IRIX isn't happy doing OpenGL over SSH. But I was able to get it to render a frame, and export it to JPEG.

UPDATE 10-22-08
Threads up to 64. FFMpeg and Yafray enabled. FFMpeg includes lamemp3, ogg, vorbis, faac, etc. Internationalization now supported. OpenAL and SDL enabled.

UPDATE 10-21-08
Fixed some issues with the libraries, Alpha b is now up

and here's the link http://www.timbilism.com/junk/blender-2.48-irix-c.tar.gz

Note: This has been compiled to use static libs as much as possible. The reasoning is that I want this version of Blender to run on any Irix machine, not just a Nekoware Irix machine.
:O2000: :Octane: :O2: :O2:
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie
whooaa !!!!
GREAT :)

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb
hoho.... seg fault...

Code: Select all

./blender &
[1] 1935
IRIS 41# guessing './blender' == '/gig/irix6/./blender'
Compiled with Python version 2.5.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.8
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.0.15
libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
Cannot png_create_read_struct
Unknown fileformat

[1]    Segmentation fault     ./blender (core dumped)
IRIS 41# ldd blender
libpng.so  =>    /opt/lib32/libpng.so
libz.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libz.so
libfreetype.so.7  =>     /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.7
libGL.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libGL.so
libGLU.so  =>    /usr/lib32/libGLU.so
libX11.so.1  =>  /usr/lib32/libX11.so.1
libXi.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libXi.so
libc.so.1  =>    /usr/lib32/libc.so.1
libm.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libm.so
libdl.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libdl.so
libpthread.so  =>        /usr/lib32/libpthread.so
libdmedia.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libdmedia.so
libmovie.so  =>  /usr/lib32/libmovie.so
libCsup.so  =>   /usr/lib32/libCsup.so
libC.so.2  =>    /usr/lib32/libC.so.2
libCio.so.1  =>  /usr/lib32/libCio.so.1
libGLcore.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libGLcore.so
libXsgivc.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libXsgivc.so
libXext.so  =>   /usr/lib32/libXext.so
libmutex.so  =>  /usr/lib32/libmutex.so
libmovieplay.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libmovieplay.so
libmoviefile.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libmoviefile.so
libcl.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libcl.so
libawareaudio.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libawareaudio.so    delay-load

did i do a mistake ??

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
Thanks, I'll get that fixed.
UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity. -- Dennis Ritchie
Looks like you need to fix your -I flags for cc and CC as well. In addition to that you'll have to add an -rpath to the LDFLAGS. The easiest way to get going is to just export all the environment variables as documented in the wiki http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/index.php/Packaging_Software#Build_Environment
updated (link at the first post)

now ldd shows:

libGL.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libGL.so
libGLU.so  =>    /usr/lib32/libGLU.so
libX11.so.1  =>  /usr/lib32/libX11.so.1
libXi.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libXi.so
libc.so.1  =>    /usr/lib32/libc.so.1
libm.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libm.so
libdl.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libdl.so
libpthread.so  =>        /usr/lib32/libpthread.so
libdmedia.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libdmedia.so
libmovie.so  =>  /usr/lib32/libmovie.so
libCsup.so  =>   /usr/lib32/libCsup.so
libC.so.2  =>    /usr/lib32/libC.so.2
libCio.so.1  =>  /usr/lib32/libCio.so.1
libGLcore.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libGLcore.so
libXsgivc.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libXsgivc.so
libXext.so  =>   /usr/lib32/libXext.so
libmutex.so  =>  /usr/lib32/libmutex.so
libmovieplay.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libmovieplay.so
libmoviefile.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libmoviefile.so
libcl.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libcl.so
libawareaudio.so  =>     /usr/lib32/libawareaudio.so    delay-load

Like I said in the original post, eventually this build will go up on the Blender offical builds site, so I'm trying to statically link as much as possible.
hum....
cause your are do some mods, can you increase the maximum thread numbers ?? please: D
(a thought for who have more than 8 cpu :) )
SGI or die !!!
So I assume that means that it loads up on your box now?
re

after some testing, it sem slower thn the previous 2.45, tested with internal renderer...
but AO is more tunable, so i can have similar results with faster render.. but

where is yafray rendering option ???

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
it crashes here when trying to load the default .B.blend file. Maybe this backtrace from gdb helps:

#0  cast_pointer () at genfile.c:745
#1  0x106a5800 in reconstruct_struct () at genfile.c:953
#2  0x106a60d4 in dna_reconstruct () at genfile.c:1089
#3  0x10686954 in read_struct () at readfile.c:1243
#4  0x1069a1ec in blo_read_file_internal () at readfile.c:8035
#5  0x106a6bc4 in BLO_read_from_memory () at readblenentry.c:346
#6  0x105ff0bc in BKE_read_file_from_memory () at blender.c:479
#7  0x10358070 in BIF_read_homefile () at usiblender.c:664
#8  0x10358e84 in BIF_init () at usiblender.c:1071
#9  0x100e04cc in main () at creator.c:527

The same happens when selecting "Load Factory Settings" from the File menu.

greetings,
sgefant

PS: the link in your first post points to blender-2.48-irix-b.tar.gz, while the file on the server is named blender-2.28-irix-b.tar.gz
Okay, fixed the link.

"Almost all modules are disabled" in the top post really means "all modules are disabled" I almost have FFMPEG working, I'll enable Yafray with the new version as well.

Bizzare about the .B.blend issue. I'm wondering if there's some feature that isn't supported. Blender should be 100% backwards compatible...but....

I'll look at it, but for now, you can still load existing files.
more thread !!!
more thread !!!
more thread !!!
PLEASE :(
SGI or die !!!
Your wish is my command....it's done!
you are my friend man !!!!

-"hey my O2k !! i have some stuff for you :) "

COOL

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
seem to do not work with O2 R5000.......wrong architecture

R5000 is a MIPS IV like R1xk ??

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
oh-oh ?

Compiled with Python version 2.5.2.
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python... No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available.  Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.
WARNING: core: blender: PID 13635, failed to write a  text area (core file deleted)

Have nekoware Python installed and nekoware in the path ...
That crash probably is not related to python. Do you have a .B.blend file in your home directory? if not, try creating one by running a older version of blender and pressing ctrl+u. If blender 2.48 works then, you've hit the same bug as I did.
From what I'm seeing on the forums, the 2.48a is hitting some issues with the regression files on other platforms as well (Linux 64 bit). I'll see what I can do about this, but it may take me awhile.

As for the Python, the nekoware python was created with some modules that Blender does not use/need so I ended up using a custom Python. What's does python -V show on your system? On the dev machine it shows "Python 2.5.2" which is the same as my custom compiled python. You may have an older version of python. I am also using Nekoware python so maybe you need to upgrade?

For those who are wondering, Blender uses the internal python but looks for the external python lib path to load all the "extra" libs like os, urlopen, etc. So you do need to have Python 2.5.2 installed on your local machine for Blender to work well with Python.
and about O2 with R5000 ?

R5k is Mips IV like R1xk.... why it doesnét work on it ?

regards

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
sgefant wrote: That crash probably is not related to python. Do you have a .B.blend file in your home directory? if not, try creating one by running a older version of blender and pressing ctrl+u. If blender 2.48 works then, you've hit the same bug as I did.

Mmm. See a .Bpib but no .B.blend.

I just downloaded and tried it out to give another data point tho. I'm not a Blender user so when it didn't start I just deleted it. Sorry :oops:

Btw, I see Python is up to 2.6 Maybe a newer version would be nice for Nekoware ?