SGI: Computer Graphics

Blender 2.48 - Alpha rev c - "Yafray, FFmpeg, 64 threads" - Page 6

spoonified wrote:
I do have great memories of playing the quake port on my Onyx RE2 with performance that put my gaming PC at the time to shame.

One thing that always got me is the tank simulator, I can't remember if it was included with a full install of irix or off of one of the IndyZone disks. Shortly after I joined the army I got to use the tank simulator and it was identical to the sgi one. I always figured they had an old SGI Crimson behind the sceans driving it with a custom made cockpit to feel like a Abrams tank.

Are you talking about the game bzflag? It is available for modern systems and the servers are very active. The almost-current version is in nekoware and runs well on Onyx IR.

hamei wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:
... especially with a HMD.

Somewhere I just came across a study of head mounted display versus cave. They put a group of people with acrophobia in a virtual high place then dropped the floor out from under them. The cave worked better at terrifying the vic ... err, subjects. (Seven out of ten participants are hoping to be released from mental institutions any day now :) )
many caves for multiple gamers would be rather expensive. or even a single cave. Not to mention an arcade wouldn't have that kind of room. There is/was a cave game of some sort at the Dave & Busters (this must have been 12 or 13 years ago now) where everybody sat in a simulated flying platform and shot at stuff with light guns. I think you call it a rail shooter?

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"