SGI: Computer Graphics

Through the Looking Glass - Page 2

Hi Squeen,

quite a lot of things to do, but hey that's what the fun is all about ;)
squeen wrote:
For the navigation algorithm I developed we are looking at hardware acceleration of the acquisition search

Sorry, I didn't get that ?

squeen wrote:
1) spectral rendering (as opposed to RGB) including Laser Radar (LADAR) frequencies
2) bidirectional path tracing and energy redistribution (Metropolis-like) methods
3) adaptive sampling in image space
4) BRDF tables

1) will of interest for us too, especially for dielectrics
2) too
3) we did that alrey
4) BRDF is not enough for us ... we need real materials like metalic paints, leather, brushed aluminium etc. I think we will disclose some in the very near future.

squeen wrote:
I am considering a much simpler real-time ray tracer engine to replace raster graphics in the CAVE. We just ordered a 24-core SMP machine--I might tinker with that a bit as well. That's your forte and a whole other can-of-worms for me, but I think the industry is heading in that direction and we need to stay on the cutting edge.

24 core will be way too slow even only for a single side of the cave. We tested 200 cores for the sony 4K projector (8 MegaPixel) and it's still too slow.

squeen wrote:
Graphics for situational (simulation results) visualization continues to be useful and I think we will probably be making significant improvements in our modeling program (scene graph & path tracer front-end) as well. The CAVE work will continue as well, but it may not be by me.

The only recent addition to the path-tracer I've managed to squeeze in this spring was dielectrics (glass)

Yes realtime graphics (with good quality) really change the way of working in a lot of fields. That is the reason most people can't think of anyone else once they have been infected with the realtime virus

Nice image, dielectrics are always visually attractive.

Regards

Matthias

http://www.hec.nasa.gov/news/features/2 ... 72809.html

Impressive! So, are you the GNFIR's father?
Outstanding quality rendering, the Hubble looks almost the same... just a tiny bit nicer than the real one! :)

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Nice! :mrgreen:

I did some testing at the Wallops Flight Facility a few years back, do you ever get out there? Maybe we crossed paths. We were the guys that lost the Navy's underwater recovery sea lion... :shock:
I am not much of a modeler, but that ray traced Tie Interceptor was pretty wicked. :D

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000
You are a bit of a furry fanatic eh? Still looks hawt. Reminds me of that lady fox from Star Fox: Adventures.

Eh mildly so. They're just fun to create. ;)

zmttoxics wrote:
Still looks hawt. Reminds me of that lady fox from Star Fox: Adventures.

Hehe Thank you.. yeah indeed. I've created some fantasy 3d sets and other cartoon characters in the past...

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000
tits with fur..... hum must b unconfortable to have hair on the tongue !!

Laurent

Very nice to see the Onyx crank out some quality renderings.
Haha, it's nice to see such good work produced in Maya on an Onyx2, and your character modeling skills are obviously solid, but you really need to lose those breasts. They just look really out of place, they're anatomically incorrect, and they don't serve any useful purpose to the character design. But other than that, nice work!