SGI: Computer Graphics

CAD software on irix - Page 1

Is there any freely available CAD software one could download for irix?
Solid Modelling: BRL-CAD
Design: ACAD 3.0

sorry don't remember the links.
Cool, I had no idea that BRL-CAD existed ( http://ftp.arl.mil/brlcad/index.html ), as for ACAD -- do you mean the R12 version of AutoCAD once available from AutoDesk for IRIX? I couldn't find any other references. There is also QCAD, and once upon at time there was going to be a GCAD (GNU).

Lastly, semi-fly what kind of CAD package are you looking for -- 2D or 3D? Over a year ago, when I couldn't find an IRIX version of AutoCAD I started writing a simple 2D replacement using openGL and Motif. It's far from complete (in a state only a father could love)...but usable for some drafting. Here is a screenshot of a mechanical component I designed with it. I think you would have to be framiliar and longing for the old (early 90's) AutoCAD interface to find even some small joy in this application -- but let me know if you are interested.
semi-fly wrote: Is there any freely available CAD software one could download for irix?

This might work under IRIX - haven't tried to build it though:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
One more - Varkon ( http://www.tech.oru.se/cad/varkon/index.htm ). I think I once had a version of this working under IRIX but can't seem to find it..
assyrix wrote: Solid Modelling: BRL-CAD
Design: ACAD 3.0

sorry don't remember the links.

Thx! I'll search about and see what I can find.

squeen wrote:
Lastly, semi-fly what kind of CAD package are you looking for -- 2D or 3D? Over a year ago, when I couldn't find an IRIX version of AutoCAD I started writing a simple 2D replacement using openGL and Motif. It's far from complete (in a state only a father could love)...but usable for some drafting. Here is a screenshot of a mechanical component I designed with it. I think you would have to be framiliar and longing for the old (early 90's) AutoCAD interface to find even some small joy in this application -- but let me know if you are interested.

Both 2D and 3D, and I'd love to try out xcad.

nekonoko wrote: This might work under IRIX - haven't tried to build it though:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

That looks very nice! I'll have to put that on my to-do list. :)

Thanks for the help all! I'm thinking about taking a CAD class from the community college I'm currently attending, so I figured that there must be some CAD software avaiable for irix on the cheep. :wink:
ACAD 3.0 has nothing to do with AutoCAD whatsoever. It's a fully fledged 2D CAD (afaik) and was once sold commercially. The company then abandoned the Irix port and gave away the last version for free. I downloaded it ages ago from their website and tested it briefly - looks pretty nifty.

Unfortunately, as I said, I neither recall the website nor the company name. I'll check the tar-file again and see if there's some info inside it.
If only CATIA would make at least a demo...
wow, thanks!
hi
is there any 2D and 3D CAD for Irix ?
i am looking for a simple one
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
I'm going to have a cup of coffee with 6 sugars in it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
CADCUP of coffee, can i have one, too :lol: ?

ops, there is something wrong with me and the search function: i have found this neko-thread but not by using the forum search function, i used google because that function has produced an empty result X________X

btw, it seems the right thread with the answers i am looking for!

Apologies for that

very interesting thread
thank you guys !
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
I have run ProEngineer from release 20 up to Wildfire 2 on SGI hardware, but not for real work, just playing around.
We have ProE at work and can use that license when I'm not using it for work.
It was mostly for running benchmark and compare to Windows. Windows usually winning :?

Wildfire 2 is the last version that ran on IRIX (I think).

I have even run ProE release 12 on an Indigo R3000 and some early moldflow software. This was demo software.
That thread is 12 years old but I don't think the CAD landscpe on IRIX has changed much since then. I can attest that Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2 runs very nicely on my Octane2... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I have a cantankerous install of CATIA on my HP C8000. I say cantankerous because it finds any one of a million reasons to not start.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
amazing ProEngineer, i have used it in my university, i have here the original CD of release 17 for unix. Unfortunately no valid license.
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
Sorry for my ignorance if somebody already mentioned, but there is neko-qcad right there for download, nekoware version of QCad, it is quite fine to work with, i did my house electrical installation project redoux with it and it clapped well on indigo2. Is 2D only.
cybercow wrote: neko-qcad

it's new to me, i mean never heard before, so thank you to have pointed it out.

i am interested in this kind of CAD: Pro/E and CATIA
i have also installed SolidWorks on my Windows Laptop

unfortunately i can't see a CAD like OrCAD or EagleCAD for Irix
i mean something to design schematics and PCB: is it existing ?

edit:
it seems to me there are two open sources choices
  • gEAD
  • KiCad
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
ivelegacy wrote:
cybercow wrote: neko-qcad

edit:
it seems to me there are two open sources choices
  • gEAD
  • KiCad

If someone is willing to port from Windows to Irix there is one more choice:
FreePCB: http://www.freepcb.com
It's source code is at:
https://freepcb.googlecode.com/svn
:Fuel: 600 MHz, 2 GB RAM, 72 GB 15k RPM HD
:O2: 180 MHz