Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Howto delete / amend toolchest entries ?

I want to get rid of some toolchest entries, alter some others, and add some in between existing ones (not to the bottom!)

How can this be achieved using the .auxchestrc file ?
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
whiter wrote: I want to get rid of some toolchest entries, alter some others, and add some in between existing ones (not to the bottom!)

How can this be achieved using the .auxchestrc file ?

You need to create a .chestrc in your home directory for this, .auxchestrc will only add to the default toolchest...
not true.

I just found out you can remove items by adding a line like

Code: Select all

remove Itemname
to the .auxchestrc file. So that leaves the questions about how to add items on a specific location, and how to 'overwrite' an item. (could be done by deleting it first ofcourse, and then re-adding at the specific location. But how to do that?)
whiter wrote: not true.

I just found out you can remove items by adding a line like

Code: Select all

remove Itemname
to the .auxchestrc file. So that leaves the questions about how to add items on a specific location, and how to 'overwrite' an item. (could be done by deleting it first ofcourse, and then re-adding at the specific location. But how to do that?)

to modify the toolchest systemwide edit /usr/lib/X11/system.chestrc or /usr/lib/X11/nodesktop.chestrc.
r-a-c.de
whiter wrote: So that leaves the questions about how to add items on a specific location, and how to 'overwrite' an item. (could be done by deleting it first ofcourse, and then re-adding at the specific location. But how to do that?)
Tried .chestrc yet? ;-)
foetz wrote: to modify the toolchest systemwide edit /usr/lib/X11/system.chestrc or /usr/lib/X11/nodesktop.chestrc.

Kick ass, thanks. :D
NOTE You cannot use Virtual Disk Manager to create or to shrink physical hard drives.
VenomousPinecone wrote:
foetz wrote: to modify the toolchest systemwide edit /usr/lib/X11/system.chestrc or /usr/lib/X11/nodesktop.chestrc.

Kick ass, thanks. :D

u r welcome :D
r-a-c.de

that´s what I always do ;-) and also /usr/lib/X11/remote.chestrc of course
(in case I´m too lazy to walk over to that machine I want to work on).

Btw, just another question:
How do I invoke a program from the local toolchest on a remote machine?
By clicking an item in the _local_ toolchest that makes e. g. Firefox run remotely but display locally _without_ logging in on that remote machine first?

Maybe something like
f.checkexec.sh.le REMOTE-SERVER:/some-directory/some-executable
is possible?

This could possibly work around the library mismatch problems I encountered with Firefox (see another thread).

TIA

Walther
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-
edefault wrote: This could possibly work around the library mismatch problems I encountered with Firefox

OK, to be more specific: Firefox/Thunderbird runs fine when invoked on a tcsh prompt after an rlogin user-name@REMOTE-SERVER, but locally goes
    3% 2617:/usr/freeware/mozilla-thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libgtk-1.2.so.1' under any of the filenames /usr/nekoware/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/freeware/mozilla-thunderbird/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/freeware/mozilla-thunderbird/plugins/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/local/thunderbird/lib/mre/mre-1.0.6/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/lib32/internal/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/opt/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1:/usr/nekoware/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/usr/freeware/mozilla-thunderbird/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/usr/freeware/mozilla-thunderbird/plugins/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/usr/local/thunderbird/lib/mre/mre-1.0.6/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/usr/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/usr/lib32/internal/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:/opt/lib32/libgtk-1.2.so.1.1:

no matter how often I install fw_gtklib_1.2(blabla).

TIA

Walther
Valueing life is not weakness; disregarding it is not strength. -Mirage-
to be more flexible you might wanna write a script and call that from the toolchest.
r-a-c.de
ofcourse I do NOT want to modigy system.chestrc or .chestrc, since I do not want to change any systemwide settings. I'm talking about user-level modifications. Specificaly user-level modifications that do not alter/overwrite/hide anything provided by the systemwide default.

I specificaly asked about .auxchestrc. So the question still remains the same.

Anybody who knows the answer ?
whiter wrote: ofcourse I do NOT want to modigy system.chestrc or .chestrc, since I do not want to change any systemwide settings. I'm talking about user-level modifications. Specificaly user-level modifications that do not alter/overwrite/hide anything provided by the systemwide default.

I specificaly asked about .auxchestrc. So the question still remains the same.

Anybody who knows the answer ?
And the answer still remains the same: create a .chestrc in your home directory, altering a copy of the system-wide chestrc... Same principle as creating a .backgrounds in your home directory that's going to overwrite the default desktop backgrounds...

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... 079-PARENT
that's not an option.
I'm searching for a way to do it from .auxchestrc.
I guess I fail to understand why you'd like toolchest to source the system-wide chestrc and then source your auxchestrc to remove some entries... Wouldn't it make more sense to use .chestrc to do it all in the first place? Just my two cents...
whiter wrote: that's not an option.
I'm searching for a way to do it from .auxchestrc.

That doesn't make any sense. Using .chestrc in your home directory doesn't change system wide settings (just the user), so why should it not be an option? It's no different than using .auxchestrc in your home directory.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.