Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

O2 + LaCie ElectornBlue IV CRT [SOG Works!!!]

Ok boys + girls,

could a kind soul please shed some light on this:

i'll get an O2 next week and I have a LaCie ElectronBlue CRT, aside from my whole irix newbieness i have the following simple questions (since I couldn't get a straight answer from a monitor manufacturer :? ):

Does anyone works with a LaCie CRT (ElectronBlue) on a O2?
or
Does anyone works with a LaCie CRT on any SGI beast?

I've been reading about the SOG requirement and that the O2 has a common HD-15, and when i sent an email to LaCie asking if the ElectronBlue which is a MultiSync monitor supports SOG, I got a reply that they'll check whith the product manager and get back to me (that was 3 days ago, they're still searching :shock: )

Is every MultiSync monitor also SOG capable?

What's the worst case scenario when plugging an sgi baby on a non SOG-capable monitor?

a) nada, nix, null: i just get a blank screen ?

b) kaboom! : you shouldn't try this @ home ?

...many TIA...

PS: LaCie support sux :evil:
fu wrote: Ok boys + girls,

will try...

fu wrote: i'll get an O2 next week and I have a LaCie ElectronBlue CRT, aside from my whole irix newbieness i have the following simple questions (since I couldn't get a straight answer from a monitor manufacturer :? ):

or
Does anyone works with a LaCie CRT on any SGI beast?

no, at least not me, but see further down for more...

fu wrote: I've been reading about the SOG requirement and that the O2 has a common HD-15, and when i sent an email to LaCie asking if the ElectronBlue which is a MultiSync monitor supports SOG, I got a reply that they'll check whith the product manager and get back to me (that was 3 days ago, they're still searching :shock: )

Reminds me of Minolta checking if the expensive negative scanner would work with 2000 advanced server. never called back those bastards... hehe

fu wrote: Is every MultiSync monitor also SOG capable?

no. clear no.

fu wrote: What's the worst case scenario when plugging an sgi baby on a non SOG-capable monitor?

a) nada, nix, null: i just get a blank screen ?

b) kaboom! : you shouldn't try this @ home ?

iirc, you'll get a greentinted image at best, none at worst. no kaboom in the night. :)
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
if the color temp. of the greenish monitor is adjustable, you could try decreasing the green component. I got a slightly better image though not prefect on my other pc monitor.
fu wrote: Ok boys + girls,

i'll get an O2 next week and I have a LaCie ElectronBlue CRT, aside from my whole irix newbieness i have the following simple questions (since I couldn't get a straight answer from a monitor manufacturer :? ):

or

We had a couple of LaCie 22" ElectronBlue IV's at work <nice CRT BTW>, we primarily used 'em with mac's <moved on to LCD's now tho>. We've also got an O2 there. - But I never had a reason to cross pollinate 'em. :wink:

I managed to google up LaCie's web page on the EB IV - you can d/l the manual and a data sheet here:
http://www.lacie.com/no/products/product.htm?pid=10573

According to Lacie's manual:

Code: Select all

Sync: Separate sync. TTL Level Horizontal sync. Positive/Negative Vertical sync. Positive/Negative Composite sync. (Negative) (TTL Level)

No mention of sync on green :cry:

Seems like a major omission for a monitor that cost as much as these originally did. As I recall the ElectronBlue IV was a rebadged Mitsubishi Diamondtron - Lacie seems to have squat on their site - I found this on the Mitsubishi <look identical BTW>
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Mitsubish ... /ps/430534

Code: Select all

sync type - Separate sync: TTL Level, Positive/Negative
Composite sync: TTL Level, Negative
Sync on Green: 0.3Cp-p

Yep - SOG - so maybe??

If you don't want any surprises - go with the bad news in LaCie's manual.
A little OT, but maybe helpful. I have a Samsung 950p that supports SOG, it had to be set using the onscreen menus. The catch. It wouldn't dispaly the settings menu when hooked up to the Octane (no sync), so I had to plug it into a PC, set SOG and then move it to the SGI. Maybe that's the case with your LaCie?
..thanks a ton for the fededback everyone !

..yes i work with the ElectronBlue IV on my mac as well and thing is it's a great monitor that's why i wanted to plug it to the O2 in the first place...

...thing is that LaCie (the company) is quite funked-up, i took a look @ the manual and there's no SOG mention anyplace, but then i got a reply from LaCie support saying it is supported..

am i the only one who just hates it when flunking a decent amount of money to buy a decent piece of hardware but is unable to get a straight answer.. :?:

anyone has any good source for those SOG adapters i should buy?
It sounds like it will work. They're not the first to leave SOG out of the specs, most people don't care. My Dell 2005FPW flatpanel didn't mention it in the specs, but it works. I suppose the monitor manufacturer often just buys a sync decoder IC, or reuses an old design not paying attention to the fact that many of them do do sync on green.

And yeah that's a niiiice screen. Jealous.
fu wrote: anyone has any good source for those SOG adapters i should buy?

Why not hold off on buyin' the adapter till you see if it does indeed do SOG.

I think <for whatever that's worth> it WILL do sog - before we bought the EB IV's someone at LaCie or our vendor told me the EB IV was a re-badged Mitsubishi Diamondtron, which is listed by Mitsubishi as sog capable.

<if it don't work then order you a SOG adapter>
recondas wrote:
fu wrote: anyone has any good source for those SOG adapters i should buy?

Why not hold off on buyin' the adapter till you see if it does indeed do SOG.

I think <for whatever that's worth> it WILL do sog - before we bought the EB IV's someone at LaCie or our vendor told me the EB IV was a re-badged Mitsubishi Diamondtron, which is listed by Mitsubishi as sog capable.

<if it don't work then order you a SOG adapter>

i thought so, but then again i'm about to receive my very first O2 and while searching the forum high + low i found out that something may go faulty while in transit, so i have to check that everything's working (or not) and then inform the seller about it (otherwise i'll lose the DOA warranty)...meaning that if i get a blank display i won't be able to see if my O2 is healthy (sgi newbie here)

..that's why i got a bit worried :)

..fortunately i managed to buy a 1600sw at a decent price on eBay yesterday, the seller is Tom Bannon who after emailing each other he told me he's a member of the nekochan family...

...keeping my fingers crossed that everyhting's gonna be smooth...

...i'll try the ElectronBlue as well and post an update here, so we know if SOG is working with this monitor or not...

Update:

:D

ElectronBlue IV works fine with the O2, not a single glitch, just a perfect, clear image...

..so i guess all of LaCie's CRTs are gonna play nice with the O2..

:D