Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

New octane does nothing - Page 3

Also, I recorded a video so you could see what I mean: https://youtu.be/NP26I_SufXw
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30
I am unsure if the power switch has to keep a permanent feed, but sounds to me like the power button or something that it feeds.
If you hold the button in long enough do you get any output serial or screeen?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
uunix wrote: I am unsure if the power switch has to keep a permanent feed, but sounds to me like the power button or something that it feeds.
If you hold the button in long enough do you get any output serial or screeen?

No, but it also didn't do this until I took the dallas chip out and back in. It would stay on without me holding it in.
Should I try a new chip? Or should I just try to find a new board at this point..?
Now for some reason only the QB and QC lights come on if I hold the power down... what is even going on at this point? Lol.
Seems we have run out of options, but is it the XBO or the MB?

Shame, you don't live close old chap, I have plenty of stuff to test.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
Dalplex wrote: Would you please measure the output from power supply, no matter what kind or brand, they should supply the same voltage for 5, 12. Etc.

When I had trouble of Indigo, I suffered similar struggle until I found the power supply would move out from the 24 pins socket whenever I pluged the powercord in. Once I seated properly, everything is okay.

Everything seems to be seated properly and the problem with the machine staying on only when the power button is pressed started once the dallas chip was reseated for whatever reason, so I think it's more likely the board than anything else. I guess it's worth a try though, what do you mean by seated properly? Was the PSU just getting seated incorrectly or what do you mean?
Octane psu hook up with front plane with the same direction while plug in the power code. While the indigo is another way around. On indigo, the harder the power code was plug in, the looser the psu with the front plane.
:Indigo: :O2: :Octane: :Octane:
You may have done this already so please excuse me if you have. When you re-seated the memory did you actually take out the modules and plug them back in again? If so, were they installed in the same order? If not, you may want to reorganize the modules in different slots. Work with a minimum memory configuration and only populate a set at a time to see if that resolves anything. I am not familiar with Octanes since I don't have one but you still may want to try that just in case.
SGI: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Fuel:
SUN: T2000 (x2], SunBlade 1500 Red (x2), SPARCstation 5 (x2) - Nextstep/Openstep, SPARCstation IPX
Alpha: DEC AXP 3000/300LX, API CS20 (Dual 833 Mhz CPUs)
Cobalt RaQ 550
JohnK wrote: You may have done this already so please excuse me if you have. When you re-seated the memory did you actually take out the modules and plug them back in again? If so, were they installed in the same order? If not, you may want to reorganize the modules in different slots. Work with a minimum memory configuration and only populate a set at a time to see if that resolves anything. I am not familiar with Octanes since I don't have one but you still may want to try that just in case.

I have tried reseating, I've even tried a completely different set of RAM. I don't have much else to try at this point. :P I think the board is just messed up honestly.
Thanks
vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote: Yeah, minicom was set up for /dev/ttyS0 9600 8N1.

Okay, well that's right then. Just for funzies did you try it with both serial ports on both your Octane and your Linux box? We're grabbing at straws at this point. According to the Octane Owner's Guide the next step is to replace the system module. Not that I'm urging you to throw good money after bad, but there's one on Ebay right now for 75 frogskins:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-IP30-Octane-System-Board-NO-CPU-030-0887-003-030-0887-005-B-/252552276972?hash=item3acd49ebec:g:jqEAAOSwAuZX4~Xk

Hi, just an update, I bought this the other day and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll be busy until somewhat late tomorrow, but expect an update soon. Thanks everyone!
Okay, with the new board only the QB and QC lights come on when I plug the power in and the power button doesn't affect it in any way. Is the xbow messed up or what? This machine has been quite problematic, lol.

edit: btw, nothing over serial.
edit 2: okay, so I tried setting it to the password reset just for fun. Then, it showed the baseIO, QA, and heart LEDs just fine. Then I put it back and it's back to doing only QB and QC. I guess the xbow board is dead. lucky me! :D Raion-Fox, do you still have that board? :lol: