Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

New octane does nothing - Page 1

so, I just received an Octane, and upon boot it does nothing at all. There's no sounds or anything. I'm guessing the PSU is dead, but is there something else I should check/look for first?
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30
No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?
Does the PSU 'CLICK' when you plug the kettle lead in? (Get your ear close).

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
uunix wrote: No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.

By no sound I meant there was no click from the psu, no fan whir, etc. sorry.
I also don't think the serial would do anything either as I don't hear anything at all from the machine.
Also, I reseated the cpu board and everything but there's no dice. I think the PSU is just borked. (how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?)
LarBob wrote: how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?

There's a 747 watt Cherokee on Ebay right now for eighty five frogskins, seller refurbished with a 30 day warranty, I would say grab it because that's about the lowest price you'll ever see one for on the bay . Do you still need one of the 13W3 -> VGA converters? Sorry that sort of slipped off my to-do list but if you still need one I'll send it ASAP... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote: how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?

There's a 747 watt Cherokee on Ebay right now for eighty five frogskins, seller refurbished with a 30 day warranty, I would say grab it because that's about the lowest price you'll ever see one for on the bay . Do you still need one of the 13W3 -> VGA converters? Sorry that sort of slipped off my to-do list but if you still need one I'll send it ASAP... :shock:

I got one, now it seems I just need a psu lol (but thank you very much!). I don't think I'll get that one though as I'm not sure I have 85 shekels (well, 109 because of shipping) to spare right now. Oh well..
Could I just replace the caps on this one?
Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...

I took it apart last night and everything looked fine really. Nothing I could see looked scorched and the caps looked fine.
LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote: Yes, if you're good with a soldering iron (and a solder sucker) you can probably fix it. Have you taken it apart yet? Usually the failed part will give up it's identity by having scorched the board around it which alleviates you the necessity of having to blanket-replace parts (caps etc.). So try taking the cover off and get out your magnifying glass...

I took it apart last night and everything looked fine really. Nothing I could see looked scorched and the caps looked fine.

If you've got a voltmeter you could try tracking the input AC to wherever the point of failure might be...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:

If you've got a voltmeter you could try tracking the input AC to wherever the point of failure might be...

Probably will do tonight, just have to have time lol.
edit: also, does someone have a link to the pinout of the Lucent psu because I did a quick google and couldn't find it. Thanks.
Try pulling the graphics and starting up without them. I have a SI board in my parts pile that when installed causes the same - well, almost...the PSU fan make about 1 turn before it shuts off with this bad card.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:
japes wrote: Try pulling the graphics and starting up without them. I have a SI board in my parts pile that when installed causes the same - well, almost...the PSU fan make about 1 turn before it shuts off with this bad card.

Okay, I tried that and it didn't really make a change (thanks for the suggestion though). I noticed that sometimes the PSU does make sort of a click when power is plugged in, but either way it doesn't work.

edit: Just for fun, I set up an old laptop and tried to see if anything was going over serial (though I knew there wouldn't be cuz the PSU literally does nothing, lol). Is there a schematic of the psu somewhere?
I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...

It's okay lol, thanks. I bought the Cherokee PSU off of eBay, supposed to come Wednesday. Stay tuned I guess... :lol:
LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote: I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...

It's okay lol, thanks. I bought the Cherokee PSU off of eBay, supposed to come Wednesday. Stay tuned I guess... :lol:

If nothing else it will get you to the next failure level... ;)
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:

True, let's hope there's not another failure level to get to though. :lol:
vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:

Okay, so the PSU arrived and I put it in. The PSU fan spins up, if I take the front casing of the Octane off there's a green light on the board, but there's no front light and no display.
LarBob wrote:

I also don't think the serial would do anything either as I don't hear anything at all from the machine.
Also, I reseated the cpu board and everything but there's no dice. I think the PSU is just borked. (how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?)

From my limited experience with Octanes and SGI's in general, I can offer three scenario's I have come across that could help.

I know this is an asinine question, but when you reseated "everything" did that include the memory modules?

I was gifted an Octane main board with a CPU module that supposedly did not work. When I went to try it out in one my systems, I noticed the backplane never seated quite flush and I felt the locking mechanisms were not moving correctly. I found the screws holding the locking mechanisms to be quite loose. Tightening things up got it to seat better and work, no prob.

The PROM password reset jumper, if set in the position to reset the password, will leave the screen blank for roughly 10 minutes before displaying anything when you first power it on. The same board I got for free also had a PROM password set on it, so I got to experience reseting it first hand.

I like learning through observing other people, so this guy's video points out right where the jumper is on the main board:

If any of these do the trick, the lightbar on the front should turn red shortly after powering on and stay red until it's done performing the hardware tests.

I have certainly come across the failed power supply problem with just the relay 'click' and nothing else with two of my Octanes. I also tore apart the PSU, but don't see any smoking gun in the components. This is definitely a common failure of the Lucent PSU's.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:
Kotomo wrote:
LarBob wrote:

From my limited experience with Octanes and SGI's in general, I can offer three scenario's I have come across that could help.

I know this is an asinine question, but when you reseated "everything" did that include the memory modules?

I was gifted an Octane main board with a CPU module that supposedly did not work. When I went to try it out in one my systems, I noticed the backplane never seated quite flush and I felt the locking mechanisms were not moving correctly. I found the screws holding the locking mechanisms to be quite loose. Tightening things up got it to seat better and work, no prob.

The PROM password reset jumper, if set in the position to reset the password, will leave the screen blank for roughly 10 minutes before displaying anything when you first power it on. The same board I got for free also had a PROM password set on it, so I got to experience reseting it first hand.

I like learning through observing other people, so this guy's video points out right where the jumper is on the main board:

If any of these do the trick, the lightbar on the front should turn red shortly after powering on and stay red until it's done performing the hardware tests.

I have certainly come across the failed power supply problem with just the relay 'click' and nothing else with two of my Octanes. I also tore apart the PSU, but don't see any smoking gun in the components. This is definitely a common failure of the Lucent PSU's.

I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.
LarBob wrote: I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.

And you're sure you're using a null modem cable on the serial port, right? Set to 9600 baud? A regular RS232 cable won't work. Very odd to have a bad PSU and then two bad CPUs. Now you have to take the whole thing completely apart, including the crossbow, look everything over closely and blow all the dust off. In particular, look the compression connectors over carefully, a couple of wrecked or missing pins could be the culprit...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote: I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.

And you're sure you're using a null modem cable on the serial port, right? Set to 9600 baud? A regular RS232 cable won't work. Very odd to have a bad PSU and then two bad CPUs. Now you have to take the whole thing completely apart, including the crossbow, look everything over closely and blow all the dust off. In particular, look the compression connectors over carefully, a couple of wrecked or missing pins could be the culprit...

It should be, yes, and I made sure it was set to 9600 baud. Maybe I can check the connectors again.