Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Thinking about starting a collection - Page 3

ClassicHasClass wrote:
Larry Ellison. Because he couldn't let Steve Ballmer be the *only* @$$hole in computing.(tm)

Stevie still gets the prize, imo. Even Larry would have a hard time topping the Monkeyboy video :D

I beleive the "X Windows Disaster" chapter of "The Unix Haters Manual" calls that font troglodite bold... :lol:

And now, in order to keep this thread continually off topic, I submit this lovely screencap of SGI's help->about popup from it's CDE dtterm, which is really just a CDE/SGI branded Motif xterm. Beautiful, isn't it? :mrgreen:

I beleive the "X Windows Disaster" chapter of "The Unix Haters Manual" calls this font troglodite bold. :lol:

The support for pdc ports on c8000 is now fixed. Just never boot from an old 5.01 Debian image, there is no support for them in it. Plus, an e1000 ethernet is broken there. The solution is to use a recent Gentoo minimal livecd, which has a kernel with serial ports support and pass a console=ttyB0 parameter to the kernel.

The guys behind Linux/hppa had improved c8000 support very recently (most of fixes merged into a fresh 3.10 stable kernel). It includes PA-8900 cache flush fix, it should perfect a run on cpus with big L2 caches; and a support for c8000s gfx options.
As so, i'm trying to use a Debian as second system on my machine. The reason is simple - Hpux is dead for a decades. The lack of modern software (pkgsrc and tww are very poor on Hpux) and a narrow coverage of supported periphery don't allow to uncover a potential of the workstation.
Some team member is preparing an unstable Debian install cd (c8000 'll be supported) for those willing to try. Meanwhile one may unroll Linux in a time consuming manner. Here's my dirty notes: http://pastebin.com/4CJt9krq Everything seems to work, even an ati framebuffer, but a xorg. Will try to figure out a solution.

Is there anywhere to look at that? I might consider running Linux on one of my two C8Ks, though I'd like to keep one running HP-UX because I have stockholm syndrome and I just can't stay away from it.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Is there anywhere to look at that?

In the paste i provide there are all required commands and links. But better to wait for a promised cd. I suppose the link to it will be posted at parisc-linux.org or debian-hppa mail list.
Quote:
I'd like to keep one running HP-UX because I have stockholm syndrome and I just can't stay away from it.

That's absolutely right :) It's not a bad unix. The only shame is today's HP patch policy.

Click the button and it will never pop up again ;)

Okay. I await with interest. :)

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Okay. I await with interest. :)

Still not a ready-to-go installation cd, but you may try to install following the new guide: https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph ... stallation now :)

ClassicHasClass : The guy who's wrote the guide is using C8K, so i suppose yes.