Everything Else

SGI stock

SGI stock price is at historical low. Time to buy?
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org
Nowhere to go but down.
No SGIs here.
I guess sgi forums is not the best place to ask for financial advice :)
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: This post was typed using dvorak keyboard layout - http://www.dvzine.org
toxygen wrote: I guess sgi forums is not the best place to ask for financial advice :)

I have a friend whose company stock is listed on the penny exchange. It goes up and down for no (apparent) reason. I asked him why, once.

"Brokers mess around with it to make commissions. They pick some cheap stock, praise it to the skies, run it up (easy to do on a cheap stock), get their fees and get out. Then it falls back down again."

May as well go to Vegas and bet on red 35.

Oh. I also know a guy here who was one of the "buy Chinese stocks, it's a booming economy, I tell you ! Just BOOMING ! Get in now !" shysters. But there were so many of them that he couldn't make any headway. So he did a Wendell and used his brain :)

The Chinese stock market is a fraud. So is the US one now but that's another subject. 90% of the companies on the China market are two guys in a phone booth calling in lies. So (name redacted) would choose one - any one - and buy short. Then he would expose them. It was easy - these "booming" companies with volume exceeding three million rmb a day were actually a shack in the boonies with two guys sleeping in the gate house and five workers. One delivery truck per week. He'd just go there and take photos and keep a log for a week.

Then it was pretty obvious that with three employees and one Yuen Tong delivery per week, that company was unlikely to be doing 60 million rmb/month. The stock would crash, he'd make a pile and go on to the next expose, while carefully telling people that "oh no, this is very uncommon, this was a fluke, an anomoly, a rogue player."

My ass. They are all thieves. If it involves finance, it's a lie. He had a never-ending source of income as long as the greedy idiots buying stock didn't catch on.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote: Oh. I also know a guy here who was one of the "buy Chinese stocks, it's a booming economy, I tell you ! Just BOOMING !

Well, it went BOOM, right?
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: Well, it went BOOM, right?

This was a few years ago when the scam of the week was to get yourself listed on the US market. They were peddling this shit to US "investors" :D

But something the western press doesn't understand : Chinese people don't think of it as "investing." They know it's like going to Macau, except from the comfort of their own homes. It's just gambling, without any real effect on the economy. We all know it's a fraud. (Except for the grannies and grandpas. They are always the ones who get taken for a ride :( )

How 'bout youse guys ? Why hasn't there been a single farking word in the mainstream press about the fact that the Greek debt was predatory lending by Goldman-Sachs ? That the fools in Germany bought a bad debt from the world's dirtiest shysters ? Is that why Angela is so pissed ? Not about the debt, but the fact that Goldman conned them out of the money ?

Stock market, yeah. It's a real value indicator :lol:
Mix one part greed and one part paranoia and you get the stock market. Much to the detriment of 99 percent of everyone in the world... :|
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: Mix one part greed and one part paranoia and you get the stock market. Much to the detriment of 99 percent of everyone in the world... :|

It's worse than that. You left out the very smart / cunning / unethical people in finance. They are psychopaths.

It's appalling how much damage those assholes do, but ... well, ya can't cheat an honest maaaan ...
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"
In reality, in person trading has been extinct since the '90s. Today the random trends are produced by HFT algorithms fighting each other in something akin to Corewars.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: In reality, in person trading has been extinct since the '90s. Today the random trends are produced by HFT algorithms fighting each other in something akin to Corewars.

And trading isn't where the money now is, either. Now it's in predatory lending to civic bodies (city of Chicago, for instance, that sold their parking meters to Abu Dhabi) at extortionate rates. Cities, states, and countries that can't or won't live within their means. Then you purchase a few "loopholes" (that for some reason never get closed) and away ya go, more gold than Midas.

Buy your own tax code and you, too, can be a wealth-producer and job creator. Wealth for yourself, and jobs cleaning toilets for everyone else. Ain't Amurrica great ?
Lets just all throw in $100 and buy some shares. See what happens out of that.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Lets just all throw in $100 and buy some shares. See what happens out of that.

A Nekochan hostile takeover :P :P :P
hamei wrote:
pentium wrote: Lets just all throw in $100 and buy some shares. See what happens out of that.

A Nekochan hostile takeover :P :P :P

SGI Inc.
A Nekochan Holdings company.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.