Everything Else

About that Jurassic World thing... - Page 2

sgifanatic wrote: N900... The Rand Paul of chargers.

It's hard for me to understand how a company the size and experience of Nokia could do something so retarded. Such an elementary but necessary function, on a high-end expensive phone, but they screwed it up totally. If the battery gets low, it can't charge. Nor can you connect it to a power supply to use it, it just ignores the external power. When the battery gets low it's dead, Jim.

How stupid can people get and still remember to breathe ?
if they were right I'd agree, but it's them they know not me ...
hamei wrote:

While really OT - don't despair. Friendly Microsoft might be able to help you gladly :mrgreen:
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
hamei wrote:

It's hard for me to understand how a company the size and experience of Nokia could do something so retarded. Such an elementary but necessary function, on a high-end expensive phone, but they screwed it up totally. If the battery gets low, it can't charge. Nor can you connect it to a power supply to use it, it just ignores the external power. When the battery gets low it's dead, Jim.

On a serious note, this was a problem with my old samsung focus also. I found that USB charging, or a low rated charger would not work at all when the battery was low. A high current charger would, however. If you have a charger with a higher current rating than what shipped with the 900, you might try that.

I know nothing about the n900, but if it has a removable battery, the other option is one of those RC hobbyist battery chargers. High current and lots of connector options to connect up different types of batteries.

This is not how you want to charge your phone, but am just offering solutions given the circumstances.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
As an additional datapoint: I've run across other phones where if the battery was sufficiently low, you needed a higher-current charger to get it going again. So for example, a friend's normal in-car charger wasn't doing anything, but the 10W iPad charger I carry around did the trick.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Thanks, hippies ... been there, done that. Have an external with two extra batteries kept charged and have a big fat charger. Shoulda connected the phone to 460v with 12 gauge wire, that would have fixed it for good :D

One problem is, as I understand it (can't verify from personally taking the phone apart but info comes from reliable sources) the nitwits put the charging logic in software. One result of that is that if the battery gets too low to run the computer, it can't charge. Hey, aren't we smart ?

Apparently they had some problems with the connector at first which is understandable but not commendable but this is not that. It also refuses to charge about 50% of the time if the phone is turned on (even with the battery at a fairly high level). If you turn it off and plug in the charge cable, it charges. So it's not the connector.

To put it bluntly, this is total crap. How a well-known and respected company can be this fucking stupid boggles the mind.
if they were right I'd agree, but it's them they know not me ...
with Li-ion batteries, they can be damaged to the point of catching fire or exploding if they are charged incorrectly or overcharged. to try to make them safer, there are battery supervisor chips built into the battery module itself. the problem is that if the battery is drained completely, there will be no power to run the supervisor chip. and without it, the battery can't be charged.
the designers know that it's a problem, so the supervisor chips are supposed to prevent total discharge of the battery. even that's no guarantee that it won't become totally discharged (because the cell self-discharges), so the better ones will allow charging a dead cell at a very low rate. but by that point the cell is usually damaged, since lithium cells age rapidly when they are drained like that.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
pentium wrote: So a preview for a movie trailer (this is already raising flags for me) came out . It's about 10 seconds long. Most of the scenes were okay, then there's THIS.

imfeelingkindablue.PNG

Yeah, sure, MovieOS is the future and everything has to feel high-tech and stuff but COME ON. At least show a little realism. Even the old one looks a bit more realistic than monkeys using touchscreens in a blue themed.....eugh.

It appears the producers care as much about the computers in the background as they do about the dinosaurs in the foreground.

I don't know if it will flop, but I'll probably wait for the Rifftrax before seeing it. Maybe it's a fine movie, but I'd like to see giraffe-sized azhdarchids stalking around, instead of pterosaurs flying off with humans who weigh more than twice as they. I guess they finally fixed the hands on the raptors, but they still don't have feathers?

Jurassic World has all the innovation of Jurassic Park in 1993, only 22 years late.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides
Anyone on here already saw the movie? If so, is it ok?
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
MoviesOS, who cares? Anyway it's hard to beat a movie with TMC Connection Machines in it. At least from a retro computer enthusiast's point of view. ;-) So my vote goes to the 1993 movie.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:

Person A: "I'm going to hack the Internet."
Person B: "Which one?"
Person A: (dramatic pause) "ALL of them!"
The movie inspired me. :mrgreen:

The movie is otherwise....okay, but I'd rather not spoil it for Nekochanners who of all people should be watching a Jurassic Park movie by default.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Heh, Pentium. Nice hair, 1980 called, they want their hair back :p
Entire collection up for sale :(
Were there any nods to SGI anywhere? Was hoping there might be some workstations pictured on a desk, etc etc but I figure that'd be too much to hope for!
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
I read the heroine ran all the time with her heels throughout the movie...
Jesus this movie ran away. It's generated $1 billion globally already. :shock:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Jesus this movie ran away. It's generated $1 billion globally already. :shock:

That's because those who still believe that humans & dinos once lived together think it's a must-see Discovery Channel reality show ... :lol:
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
Just saw this film, it was pretty shitty. Good analogy to that monster they cooked up: noisier and with more teeth, but... not really a dinosaur.

In IMAX three-dee, of course ! (which is where you sit in the same theater and look at the same screen as normal but they turn the sound volume up a bit for an extra $2, still, totally worth it :)

Despite spending a lot of time on the setup, we didn't get to see all that much of the park. From what we did see, it seemed like a pretty poor experience. Piss-poor crowd control and layout. Maybe they should have hired a consultant who actually... knew how to run a theme park :shock: Which is disappointing because Universal's park is one of my favorites. It's like they were trying to make a depressing and poorly managed version of Disneyland. Which is great, except we didn't get to see very much of it. Lots of avenues for plot twists here that they didn't bother with. Why not have an evacuation plan of sorts (of course they would) and then have it go wrong, etc? Example, Disney has the famous underground tunnels and bunker for worker transportation and also enough provisions to support a capacity population for years if there is a catastrophe..

chicaneuk wrote: Were there any nods to SGI anywhere? Was hoping there might be some workstations pictured on a desk, etc etc but I figure that'd be too much to hope for!
There was of course product placement for computers just like in the first film. Substitute SGI and Thinking Machine for Samsung, and you are in business. :) There were nods to the first film, some old props were bandied about, etc. They made a point of talking about the original Jurassic Park to be a taboo. I never saw JP 2 or 3, so there may have been more references there. Most 90s cartoons have thicker plots. The special effects were great but that's a bad excuse for not having a plot.

It is about on par with most movies put out nowadays, lots of flash and dazzle but no story. It is a good movie if you don't care about story, characters, subplot, etc, etc. If you just want to see dinosaurs in a kinda crappy and overcrowded theme park, without too much of the theme park, this is your film.

I'm sure Disney will manage about the same with the new Star Wars. (If they wanted to do it right, they would take the story from the Thrawn series and make that a new film trilogy. Rather than.... a story that wouldn't have made it as a clone wars episode. But that's just IMO of course)

shyouko wrote: I read the heroine ran all the time with her heels throughout the movie...
:D Substitute "heels" for 7" stilletos, and add "the 1600M Olympic finals while being eaten by dinosaurs" after "ran" for a better effect :lol:

a comment from a few months ago:
The released trailers have clearly shown their is only one major threat so far. Hopefully there is more.
Park is open.
Crazy carnivore gets loose.
Park collapses.
Carnivore is somehow eaten by large aquatic dino.
The End.
I hope I'm mistaken, but it appears too predictable at this point.

Just about sums it up. :)

Also, it took too long for the fat American businessman to be eaten, but there was a collective "finally" in the theater when he was. Yet he was no villain, just an idiot.
Google: Don't Be Evil.
Apple: Don't Be Greedy.
Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
pentium wrote: The movie inspired me. :mrgreen:

So you're alpha until the Octane shows up?
guardian452 wrote:
shyouko wrote: I read the heroine ran all the time with her heels throughout the movie...
:D Substitute "heels" for 7" stilletos, and add "the 1600M Olympic finals while being eaten by dinosaurs" after "ran" for a better effect :lol:

Slate's take on "the backlash" over Bryce Dallas Howard's choice of footware in the movie:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/06/15/bryce_dallas_howard_s_high_heels_are_not_sexist_they_re_the_best_part_of.html
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Due to guardian's ruthess review, we saw San Andreas last night instead. It left me wondering :

Do helicopters really have "Hover" buttons ? If so, why not add "Forward", "Back", "Left" and "Right" buttons and get rid of the $100,000/year pilot ?

Are search-and-rescue guys stupid enough to put their right arm underneath a car hanging vertically by a thread ? The only machinery movers dumb enough to do that are named Lefty.

Are the special effects people capable of making rolling motions ? In both earthquakes I've seen (8.4 and 6.9) the ground rolls, not jerks. And you can't run on it. You can barely walk. And buildings sway twist and break, they don't explode from the inside out. Plus un-reinforced masonry has been illegal in the Bay Area for decades even in one-story buildings.

Should something be done about steroids in Hollywood ? Steve Reeves was bad enough but these cardboard cutouts are over the top.

I haven't stolen a car since 1975, but doesn't everything have steering locks now ?

The rift down the middle of the state ... uhh, yeah. Nice. But could the cgi guys please put a little jog in it here and there next time they do that ? It's ridiculous enough without being straight as an arrow.

Gravity. I'm not current on earthquake science but is gravity suspended for the duration ? The 250 foot high tsunami which hit SF ... after it destroyed everything, wouldn't the water have receded back into the Bay ? As in, immediately ? If you've ever driven up Divisadero you know the city is not exactly flat.

Has anyone here tried to swim with boots on ? Or is that reserved for cardboard cutouts ?

The flag ... gag me with a spoon. But the line about "FEMA, the National Guard, and all our disaster preparedness teams are rushing to the site" made me burst out laughing. Just like Katina ...

Tinfoil beanie bonus question : several seismology experts have explained that with modern buildings, this kind of thing is practically impossible. Modern buildings are very strong and resistant to these kinds of events.

So would one of these earthquake experts like to explain building 7 at the world trade center again ? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

With a 110 million dollar budget, was there not enough money to have a normal human being with two eyes preview this thing ? Or do they make it silly on purpose, so we know it's just a ridiculous movie instead of something to be worried about ?

It was kinda fun to watch tho. No blood and gore, nice enough people, fair amount of bouncing boobies, even the villain was just a cowardly doofus. And the hero stole a helicopter, a truck, an airplane and a boat, all in one movie. Not too bad :D
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote: Do helicopters really have "Hover" buttons ? If so, why not add "Forward", "Back", "Left" and "Right" buttons and get rid of the $100,000/year pilot ?

They do, and you can even get a miniature version for yourself... I have one like this... http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Crazyf ... -1365.html

Due to guardian's ruthess review, we saw San Andreas last night instead. It left me wondering :
eeeh... it was not a *good* movie, but still worth seeing. Not up to the standards set by JP but on par with any of the other movies out right now.
Google: Don't Be Evil.
Apple: Don't Be Greedy.
Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.