Everything Else

The costs of international shipping.

This is how much it costs for me to send something weighing 7.34Kg to the USA.
Those are Australia Dollars (AUD)
No, I can't put inline images into private messages.
Mods , talk to me or Pete before taking down.
Party on like its 1st December 1981, dude.

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Fifty three bucks seems okay, that's about what I have to pay to overnight a one or two ounce box from digikey (which I have to do far too often), but 60 to 90 days? What are they going to send it in, a rowboat? :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I believe "Print Post" is reserved for printed matter such as periodicals, what we in the US would call "second class commercial mail". It isn't available for private users.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
PymbleSoftware wrote: This is how much it costs for me to send something weighing 7.34Kg to the USA.

OUCH ! :shock: I just sent a box to the US, it was not as heavy as yours but waaay less money. A small fraction thereof, even.
Those are Australia Dollars (AUD)

I hope AUD are really small, otherwise your mail prices are ridiculous :(
long live our soviet motherland, built by the people's mighty hand ....
vishnu wrote: 60 to 90 days? What are they going to send it in, a rowboat?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
Hah, that's nothing.

Try sending something from here to anywhere.

Clipboard-1.jpg
Shipping stuff from here is fun, this is a random address I chose in australia.

The times I've had occasion to look at pricing for shipping stuff from here, the lowest rate any of the big-name companies have come is 200 euros. My only option is the formerly-government post. This is fortunately fairly cheap, but of course they don't let you ship lithium batteries because um, er, something once caught fire. So I tend to send those separately in an envelope.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote: Try sending something from here to anywhere.

That might be a good thing, actually. It keeps out the riff-raff.

The times I've had occasion to look at pricing for shipping stuff from here, the lowest rate any of the big-name companies have come is 200 euros.

UPS here is like making whoopee with a praying mantis. Sent a small bochs from here to the US a couple weeks ago via China Post. It was cheap. Arrived in less than two weeks. I got to stand in the pens at the Post Office and observe the other animals. Educational.

At almost exactly the same time, a company fifteen minutes drive away from the recipients of my box insisted on sending a different small box here via UPS. It cost them ten times as much and took as long. Then when it came, it got to sit in Customs for two weeks. Honest, two full weeks.

The only people in China who use UPS are the idiot foreigners who "know" that UPS is stupendous.

It's stupendous, all right.

My only option is the formerly-government post. This is fortunately fairly cheap, but of course they don't let you ship lithium batteries because um, er, something once caught fire. So I tend to send those separately in an envelope.

Same here, except ours is still run by the hard-liner repressive murdering Communists. They took it a step farther, can't ship any electronics. They might explode ! Maybe Communism really doesn't work ...

So you call a little shipping service, they come over and pick up the box, then they ship it via the post office. Costs a couple dollars more. But they pick up.

I dunno. If you tried to figure out every discontinuity in life you'd go crazy.

It cost about $160 to ship an O300 to Sweden that way a year or so ago. By air (but not overnight.) I think the limit for that category of mail was 26 kg. We were a few g under that. Triple-wrapped O300's ain't light.
hamei wrote: The only people in China who use UPS are the idiot foreigners who "know" that UPS is stupendous.
And what do sane people in China use instead?
Why are you always invited to weddings - but never to divorces? :mrgreen:
Oskar45 wrote: And what do sane people in China use instead?

The girl-baby drowning commie post office, aka China Post.
hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: And what do sane people in China use instead?

The girl-baby drowning commie post office, aka China Post.

Had no idea that China Post operates *internationally*...
Why are you always invited to weddings - but never to divorces? :mrgreen:
Oskar45 wrote: Had no idea that China Post operates *internationally*...

I have a mini-DAC en route from China using China Post Registered Airmail as we speak.

How something can be airmail and still take 3 weeks to arrive is a little beyond me, but it was one of those 'free shipping' deals and I'm not in a hurry.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
International snail mail is, really, a shadow world. I often wonder how things arrive here in Afghanistan. We get snail mail at work occassionally. From Europe. It arrives. Automagically...
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Oskar45 wrote: Had no idea that China Post operates *internationally*...

I've wondered about that myself. The post offices have international agreements where the price is set by the sending country, but do they keep track ? Do they balance how much each country sends versus how much it receives ? Or do they just say "To heck with it" and let it all balance out in the wash ?

jan-jaap wrote: I have a mini-DAC en route from China using China Post Registered Airmail as we speak.

They sure aren't making much money on exporting those ... 6 rmb = $1 usd. Used to be 8.3. I hate Ben Bernanke !

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 6940472322

How something can be airmail and still take 3 weeks to arrive is a little beyond me....

Och, 'tis a strange and wonderful place we have here :P

Regular mail to the US for something that size takes about two weeks.
jan-jaap wrote: How something can be airmail and still take 3 weeks to arrive is a little beyond me

I hope you've got a tracking number for that package. Watching a package progress through the postal/courier system can be downright entertaining. I just received a package that spent 8 days making a journey that Google Maps says you can drive in 7 hours. I know postal trucks aren't the fastest things on the road, but still! I've also received courier packages from the United States to me in Canada that travelled US->Canada->US->Canada. And its first trip to Canada landed 1500km from here for no apparent reason. It made me think they just randomly flung the package at Canada, missed the mark, and tried again.

Tracking international packages can be fun, as long as you don't expect a logical or effecient path.

hamei wrote: The post offices have international agreements where the price is set by the sending country, but do they keep track ? Do they balance how much each country sends versus how much it receives ? Or do they just say "To heck with it" and let it all balance out in the wash ?

The last couple of paragraphs in the "Overview" section of the Wikipedia article about the Universal Postal Union addresses that. In short, there are fees these days.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Tell me about it! Once I sent a Wilson volleyball via Fed Ex and it ended up sitting on Monuriki island for 1500 days... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: