Everything Else

Opera goes to the dark side

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2013/02/ ... de-of.html

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Yes, I'm sad to see that they are abandoning their own browser engine.
I hope they can still compete, but I fear for their future.

I hope they can still compete, but I fear for their future.

I don't think the rendering engine was their main advantage. I'm not using Opera, but all the people I know, who use it, praise especially its UI and "completeness" (no need for plug-ins).

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote:
Huzzah for creeping assimilation into homogeneity.

unfortunately. variety is vital but i see a decline of that in way too many areas currently

I didn't say that the rendering engine was their main advantage either. :-)
As others have written about later in the thread, it means that there will be one less rendering engine to test against.
Variety is good!

Yeah, I was disappointed by this. Variety is being sucked out of the market. I don't like it.

On a somewhat related note, "Don't reinvent the wheel!" is becoming the most annoying thing I've ever heard lately.
Opera doesn't make money. Services make money. So they're working on email hosting and stuff that could make money.

In the meantime I grabbed their old releases for Solaris SPARC. Because some day it will all be gone.

Rumours are now circulating that Presto will be open source. Hopefully this includes their earlier releases which, as bluecode points out, ran on lots of platforms. Could even resurrect it for Mac OS 9 ...

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Rumours are now circulating that Presto will be open source. Hopefully this includes their earlier releases which, as bluecode points out, ran on lots of platforms.

ah yes that would be nice of course. i remember running opera on solaris once

SPARC actually has a JaegerMonkey backend. However, assuming we can get it done, TenFourFox may be the only non-x86/ARM IonMonkey backend (PowerPC). I haven't seen any action from any other arch on that.

my main interest would be opera's speed, not so much the age. iirc it was much faster than any mozilla at the time i used it on that sparc box