Everything Else

Are we all 99% space? - Page 2

shadowless wrote: So what is between the nucleus and the electron shell? is it some other undiscovered matter?

Do not think in terms of "matter" think in terms of mass and energy, Mr. Einstein ties it all together with the whole E=mc^2. Something that may seem "empty" could be full of energy for example, and vice versa.

Also we humans are rather egocentric, so we associate not being able to see/touch/feel something with that space being "empty." You have to think as space being coupled with time, and both forming a fabric. In parts of that fabric, there may be some mass lodged, that mass creates a ripple in the space-time fabric which we call gravity. As I said, think of space-time as a piece of cloth being stretched (the surface of a trampoline if you will), and mass as a heavy ball dropped into that fabric. You will see the ball creates a small indentation on that fabric, or a ripple even... that is gravity.

The theory is that "information" about gravity is carried by infinitesimal particles called gravitrons. So a chunk of space that may seem empty, could very well be full of gravitrons.

A similar proposition can be make about the other major forces in nature: Electromagnetic forces are carried by photons, strong atomic forces use gluons, and weak atomic forces are associated with bossons.

The best way to think about these particles is as carriers of "information." So the reason why the earth for example rotates around the sun is due to the gravity interactions, using a very very simplified "overview" we can think of the gravitational interaction between the earth and the sun as it being due to the gravitons from the sun, meeting up with the gravitons from the earth... and once they finally interact with each other, they go out for dinner, the check each other out, and then they exchange their respective information. With the end result being the expected macroscopical physical behavior based upon a basic set of rules which dictate the universal behavior of gravity. In this case, earth being smaller in both size and mass... ends up being attracted and rotating around the body with larger mass, the sun. As I said this is a very simplified version, but is enough to get a bit of the intuition behind the behavior.

A similar case happens at the sub atomic level, but the interactions there are far weirder and there is where quantum effects come to play... some of them are so bizarre and counter intuitive that IMHO their discovery/understanding is one of the most important achievements of humanity. The reason why the interactions are strange, is that unlike general relativity which involves large distances, and as such can be easily understood by taking the speed of light as an universal limit to the speed of information transfer for those gravity particles. At the sub atomic level the distances are so small, that speed of light is no longer a good approximation (remember that physics at a very basic level is about creating models about physical behavior based on approximations, which the human brain can deal with). So very funny things happen at the subatomic level in the space-time fabric.

So even though we could think of the space between an electron and the nucleus as being "empty." An external electron shot into that space for example, will not "see" an empty area at all. It will se a force field of sorts (to use sci-fi jargon). So what looks "empty" to you, it looks like an actual wall to an atomic particle. But it is a probabilistic field, and that is where a lot of the "weirdness" comes to play. So indeed, given the correct conditions an electron or other particle could theoretically pass through that supposedly empty space. But since the probability is so small, and it has to be so for every single particle in your fist (for example)... the probability of your fist passing through a wall untouched is for all intents and purposes pretty much zero.

Once all the subatomic and fundamental particles are fully accounted for, our understanding of physics will be far more complete. That is why experiments like the LHC at CERN are so fundamentally important. Regardless of all the idiocy the mass media comes up about black holes and other idiotic concerns...

In resume, do not think as space being "empty," think of it being a four dimensional space-time fabric where fundamental particles carry and exchange information about the fundamental forces of nature.

Then for fun, there are things like string theory which adds more dimensions, or stuff like quantum entanglement which seems to allow for exchanges of state information at speeds which are orders of magnitude faster than light, for example.

In a sense, we are (as being the only sentient and self aware beings in our tiny corner of the galaxy) the way the universe came up with to understand itself. If people were aware of all the cool stuff that surrounds us, how much we still have to figure out, and how we are as integral part of this universe as any major celestial body is... I would like to think that as a species we would spend far less time and effort gracing at our navels destroying each other, and more time enjoying, exploring and understanding our infinite playground: the cosmos.

Oh well...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
gone for six months and that's all you have to says?
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: gone for six months and that's all you have to says?

Haroo Skywriter, I missed you too ;-)

I wish my absence was due to something more exciting than your typical Silly Valley burn out story:

[edited out rant]

I could go off on a rant which would make Hamei sound subdued, but that is neither here nor there...

Having finally some free time, as I ponder putting my two weeks in and move away from HW development as far as I can. What better way to waste time than getting lost on the interwebs? So I decided to check out nekochan... I hadn't realized how much time had past, since the last few months have been a blur.

I decided a thread about physics was a great place to check back on you guys. Well, it was that or the other thread about the end of the world. Seriously, I leave you peeps for a while and some of you get all apocalyptic on me. WTF.
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
Seriously, I leave you peeps for a while and some of you get all apocalyptic on me. WTF.

We could only assume you were dead, and without the presence of your magnificent brain, this planet is surely doomed.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
Frapazoid wrote:
Seriously, I leave you peeps for a while and some of you get all apocalyptic on me. WTF.

We could only assume you were dead, and without the presence of your magnificent brain, this planet is surely doomed.

Never been particularly bright and after all the drug abuses I only have two neurons left, luckily for me I have always gotten by on my looks alone.

But there is no reason to worry dudes, there is no catastrophe that can't be averted by having Bruce Willis drill a big hole somewhere (or someone) and nuke the sh$t out of it. Just make sure you guys can get Aerosmith sober enough to play a couple of sets... and voila!
For what its worth, everything Bruce Willis touches turns to gold.

I dunno if it works on things that aren't movies but, if we're facing the end of the world, dumping him into a spaceship is worth a shot.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
Interesting, maybe we can launch him into a submarine instead. And then he can turn that geiser of sweet Arabian licorice down in Louisiana into solid gold... thus saving both the environment and the economy.

The wild card here is the Aerosmith situation, are they back together? It is a well known fact that Bruce Willis's powers to save us are useless without Steven Tyler screeching in the background. Maybe a solo project will do. Why isn't FEMA pursuing this... we need answers damn it!
Their relationship with Aerosmith was permanently tainted over the M&M debacle. Heckuvajob Brownie failed to remove every non-green M&M from the bowl in their hotel room, and now they won't do disaster assistance anymore.

Are we boned?

Ouch... I didn't know about that. Then yes, we're pretty much FUBAR.

OK, shut it down Jimmy!
At least we can take solice in that the oil is spilling onto McCain states.

Ba-zing!!!

*Frap ducks & covers

Frapazoid wrote:
At least we can take solice in that the oil is spilling onto McCain states.

Ba-zing!!!

*Frap ducks & covers

You misspelled solace.

I'll refrain from speculating about whether there are any correlations between your political preferences and your spelling skills. :D
Noncents.

Frapazoid wrote:
Noncents.

:D
Came across this theory on youtube. It is rather long but toward the last bit it sway away from physics theory but the first portion seems interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPgII_4c ... playnext=7

Noncents or Nondollars?
Quote:
Noncents or Nondollars?

Centsless violence, that's what!!!