Apple

ANS RAID config floppy

I finally decided to get around to imaging my disk in the event that something happened to it.
Too late. When I fed it through RAWread I can get up to track 77 (ffff-, close too!), then it throws a CRC error and fails. :(

I do actually have the RAID controller card so the floppy is useful to me. I'm hoping someone else has already imaged this floppy. Anyone? Anyone?? Kjaer?

Failing that, think there is a practical way to fully image the disk, regardless of errors? According to my hex editor the incomplete file rawread leaves me indicates that the last couple or so tracks on the disk are empty anyways, so the data is intact, it's just not a properly formed image file rawread can write back out.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Failing that, think there is a practical way to fully image the disk, regardless of errors?

ddrescue

Good luck!
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
If your image file is correct for all the tracks that contain data, isn't fixing it up to the proper length just a small matter of programming?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Let me verify: ANS = Apple Network Server?

I may have this floppy. I don't know in what condition, but I do have a boxed RAID card set.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Yep. ANS = Apple Network Server.

If your image file is correct for all the tracks that contain data, isn't fixing it up to the proper length just a small matter of programming?

If my knowledge on the subject is correct, yes.

Unfortunately I no longer rock a nice linux box, so ddrescue isn't going to help me here. :(
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

I have this floppy at home. I can make you an image if you wish. However, I believe it's just a normally formatted Mac floppy, with the executables copied onto it. IIRC, the "backup" instructions for this and the config floppy was to format a floppy in a Mac, and then copy the contents of the old disk onto the new disk.

In any event, ping me in a PM and I should be able to help you out. I used mine to set up a new RAID on one of my ANS' this spring, so I know it works :-)
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
What ScutBoy said. It's just an HFS floppy.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
pentium wrote: Yep. ANS = Apple Network Server ... I no longer rock a nice linux box, so ddrescue isn't going to help me here. :(

Pretty sure there's a ddrescue in nekoware, and I see your sig ....
If you have a Mac, we can get you Disk Copy format (I'm sure ScutBoy can too, since his disk is tested).
smit happens.

hamei wrote:
pentium wrote: Yep. ANS = Apple Network Server ... I no longer rock a nice linux box, so ddrescue isn't going to help me here. :(

Pretty sure there's a ddrescue in nekoware, and I see your sig ....

I lack a SCSI based floppy/floptical drive.
(Okay, I used to have one in my Indigo that VP gave me....but I kinda blew up the bridge controller....sorry VP..........)

Anyways, I think I got an image on hand now. I'll try to poke at it while I'm out of the house for the weekend and see if's useable in some way.

I'll give you a copy of mine if you ping me sometime this weekend while you're in town?
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
Too late.... >_>

Because I had the NeXT mono slab out last night I thought why the hell not and tried to DD the bad disk form there. It mounted as an HFS volume.
Curiously I threw it into a spare powerbook and tried tackling the disk with Disk Image. It worked. Now I have two good copies of the disk.

So today I've learned that the configuration disk was in fact an HFS volume which I know from past experience is not really compatible with rawread.

Is it an 800K floppy? I'd be interested to know whether the NeXTStation can read that.
Are there any raw-floppy-tools specifically for the NeXT slab?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
pentium wrote: Because I had the NeXT mono slab out last night I thought why the hell not and tried to DD the bad disk form there. It mounted as an HFS volume.
Curiously I threw it into a spare powerbook and tried tackling the disk with Disk Image. It worked. Now I have two good copies of the disk.

So today I've learned that the configuration disk was in fact an HFS volume which I know from past experience is not really compatible with rawread.

Eh? Why would it not be compatible with rawread? It's just MFM sectors ...

I could understand a Mac 400K/800K disk not being compatible, but the ANS RAID floppy is a "regular" HD floppy.
smit happens.

I'm not sure. Something just didn't add up for it and an HFS filesystem I guess. The mac had no problem with those last few problematic tracks that Rawread choked on.