Apple

Vintage hardware buying binge and other projects - Page 1

Since 1999 I have had a IIci as a NetBSD server, named thule . When I had only dialup in my apartment and the Apple Network Server was co-loed at my old University job, it handled all my local Unix tasks and acted as a file server. When I got DSL and moved the ANS into the apartment, it still ran the internal network DNS and classic AppleTalk tasks. Its uptime has only been interrupted by periodically blowing a cap on a cache card, which is why I ended up just pulling the cache card because it didn't have to be fast , just up .

Today the network was abnormally slow, even for internal resources, so I went into the server room expecting to find the switch had freaked out or something. But no, it was thule, unable to stay powered on. I shut it off and replaced the power supply, but that wasn't the problem, so I replaced the logic board with a freshly recapped spare I had just for this sort of emergency. It booted, much to my relief , and after nearly ten minutes to check its 128MB of RAM and fsck the disk, it was back in action.

Here's to fifteen more years of service.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I salute you, sir!
There's something so fulfilling about using an old piece of hardware that many would have dumped for a genuinely useful purpose still. Nice one, and thanks for sharing!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Now to get another spare board ... :D
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Or repair the old one :twisted:
Thinkpad x220 Slack + DWM

Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
That's happening too. It probably just needs to be recapped. Mac hardware from their early surface mount days was notorious for this.
smit happens.

ClassicHasClass wrote: Mac hardware from their early surface mount days was notorious for this.

Did your parents bitch about circuit boards, too ? We had Zeniths teevees for years because they were wired while everyone else went cheapo. Can't repair a circuit board like you can wires :P

In fact, the early stuff going into space all had to be wired, too. No circuit boards allowed ...
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
No, but mostly because my dad got out of mathematics early and went into veterinary medicine. :D
smit happens.

hamei wrote: In fact, the early stuff going into space all had to be wired, too. No circuit boards allowed ...

:lol:
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
I think that's right... at the Computer History Museum there's a display of the control module from a Minuteman rocket, it's a huge wire loom that fills a 4' wide airframe. I think they had to invent glass epoxy laminates (CEM-3 etc) to come up with a circuit board that was reliable enough for the Apollo program.
PCBs were harder to repair than point-to-point as long as they used through-hole technology. surface mount made a huge improvement to reliability and rework (and assembly!) is much easier with the correct tools.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Despite being absolutely inundated at work, I've somehow managed to spend a few thousand dollars recently on a range of vintage systems. I suppose it's a case of geek retail therapy to deal with the stress :-) Here are some of my buys:

1. G4 Cube - 500 Mhz - came with 192MB, I've upgraded to 1.5GB. Has a weird random reboot problem, but more on that later. I'm actually typing this up on the Cube. It's a nice addition to my collection, since I already have its ancestor, the Next Cube. I was going to crack a Darth Vader/"I am your father" joke here, but on second thought, I'll spare y'all.
    2. Apple II GS [Yet to arrive] with display and some games.
    3. Commodore 64C - I've also ordered an SD2IEC cartridge which allows SD cards with C64 sw images to be plugged in [Has yet to arrive]
    4. Mac Color Classic [Yet to arrive] - has a power on issue which I suppose I'll figure out when it arrives. Hopefully this won't be a wasted purchase :-)
    5. Mac Plus 1MB [Yet to arrive]

Also picked up a Fujitsu Stylistic 5010 Tablet PC at the local Goodwill. Didn't have an hdd, Athereos wifi, RAM or any of the back covers, but it was cheap so I gave it a shot. The thing actually powered up. The "really really custom" IDE cable was missing, so I added some RAM & booted off USB (Linux). It worked great, other than the fact that it had a missing Wacom stylus. I was pretty intrigued with what could be done with this, so I gave ebay a visit to see if I could get the missing parts. Before I knew it I had convinced myself that it was a "better deal" to buy a lot of 5 of these things, with some extra bits!!! Other than one, they all work and have good battery life. I've been messing around with different OSs on them and am pretty impressed over all. Now thinking of ways in which to use these.

The other projects I've been doing involve setting up a DOS/Win 3.1 environment on a TU Vortex86 PC, setting up some Raspberry Pis with ownCloud, rebuilding the kids' desktops and getting a couple of older (but still respectable!) laptops upgraded. Want to share more on all of these, but probably as separate posts.

The SGIs are not to be ignored, however. Thus, an O2 was upgraded to 1GB RAM - I had bought the RAM more than a year ago from a fellow nekochan comrade, but didn't have time to install it until recently. Unfortunately two of the 128MB modules are causing issues (mem errors - despite reseating and switching slots) and the plastic latch on the top (black) cover broke during the upgrade (!!!). But other than that, the O2 is so much slicker than before :-) I suppose I will have to look for replacement memory modules at some stage.

About 20 of the Indigo2s and Indys from the big haul of 2011/2 are still in the garage waiting to be brought back to life. As is the Sparcstation 10, an Origin 300 and a couple of Octanes, but a man can only do so much!!

I'll add pics and updates on my adventures with all this stuff in subsequent posts.

the Stylistic looks interesting, I remember reading about it as one of the computers with a Wacom sensor behind the display. Wacom also made solutions that combined touch and pressure-sensitive stylus sensors in the same chipset. How much stuff is inside the docking station?

If you're buying old Apple machines you should be aware that many of them have PRAM batteries that can leak or explode, and should be removed as a precaution. The electrolyte in the batteries is highly toxic and corrosive and reached the age (20-30y) when they start to fail en masse. Some interesting pictures can be seen here . I found that thread by searching, because an old IIgs that I just happened to look inside had become filled with corrosive muck.

I don't have docks for the Stylistic tablets, but yes, they do have a wacom sensor. The stylus works very smoothly once you get used to it. I've managed to have the wacom recognized under Linux... Xp tablet edition works great, ofcourse, and I was quite impressed with the handwriting recognition! You can't install windows 8 on these, but win7 should work. I will try that and see if it affects performance any. These things can be beefed up quite a bit - more so than modern tablets. 5010 and 5021 tabs have a 1ghz processor and the chipset should do 2GB RAM, even though Fujitsu officially supports 1GB. The ATA/IDE drives are a bummer, but I am researching CF IDE + a high speed CF card as an alternative. There are Transcend and Kingspec IDE SSDs available, but pricey for old gear like this. Here's a link to the Kingspec: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B008RVN9 ... f=mw_dp_cr

I was just laughing because I assumed hamei must have his own definition of what a "circuit board" is. Since his comment seemed to imply "circuit boards" and "wiring" being two antonym concepts, as if circuit components were just wired together and that was that...

In any case, most of the early aerospace was wired (and yes, using circuit boards) because that was the contemporary technology. The requirements of the aerospace sector were a big pusher of the PCB/SMT tech in the middle/late 60s, interestingly enough.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
Wow, that is quite a find on the fujitsu Tablet. I was not aware they made newer versions of it.

I myself have an older stylistic Lt-500. Came with a fancy little dock and a serial pcmcia card. Actually makes a really nice tiny serial terminal.

http://s20.postimg.org/ms8lp5mp9/fujitsu.jpg

fewjie_woojie_bugleboy.jpg
fewjie_woojie_bugleboy.jpg [ 6.77 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

The pen in sgifanatic's photo looks almost exactly like the pen from a very early Wackem - Artzpad, maybe ? I had one sitting around for ages from when the pad died and I didn't have the heart to throw it out.

it doesn't look exactly like any wacom pen i've seen before, seems like they put a hole for a lanyard in it (as you might want if you were carrying it around a shop floor). the various pens used similar mechanisms, though. behind the nib is an xtal that reacts to the change in pressure by oscillating at a different frequency. this allowed pen movements that were very smooth and natural, without any physical click.

the buttons on the right of the LT-500, are they membrane switches or do you need to use the stylus to point to them?

I myself have an older stylistic Lt-500. Came with a fancy little dock and a serial pcmcia card. Actually makes a really nice tiny serial terminal.

http://s20.postimg.org/ms8lp5mp9/fujitsu.jpg

Cool! There are a number of later-model Stylistic tablets that developed the series beyond the models I have (5021 and 5022). For example, this recent one:

http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/com ... stic-q702/

I've attached a picture of the stylus that came with the 5021s. Ordinary styli/touch won't work with these tablets.

What I like most is that there is a LOT of room to expand the capabilities of these systems. There are several expansion ports available, such as:

2xUSB ports
    1xMemory Stick/SD slot
    1xPCMCIA slot
    1xIR port
    Headphone and Audio jack
    Built in Ethernet jack
    Built in Modem jack
    Built in Bluetooth
    IEEE 1394 Firewire (not b, sadly, but 400Mbps isn't too bad!)

The internal HDD can be replaced with an IDE-SSD, RAM can be maxed to 2GB, and with a 1Ghz processor, you have a pretty decent system. I'll post a video soon demonstrating a few common tasks.

it doesn't look exactly like any wacom pen i've seen before, seems like they put a hole for a lanyard in it (as you might want if you were carrying it around a shop floor).

Yes, no lanyard. But the rest of it ... found it. It was sitting in front of my nose :)
Attachment:
wackempen.jpg
wackempen.jpg [ 76.82 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

Nice helpful error message, eh ?

Pretty sure it was from an Artpadz ...
Attachment:
wackemstand.jpg
wackemstand.jpg [ 39.39 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]

I can send it to sgifanatic, would be interesting if they just recycled an old part.
Quote:
this allowed pen movements that were very smooth and natural ...

That depends on your definition of natural :P

I can use the pad but it's kinda fonky, actually. Got one for the Assist, she won't touch it so we sold it for half what we paid. Why do I still want a Cintiq ? Hope springs eternal, or I am stupid ?

R-ten-K wrote: I was just laughing because I assumed hamei must have his own definition of what a "circuit board" is. Since his comment seemed to imply "circuit boards" and "wiring" being two antonym concepts, as if circuit components were just wired together and that was that...

Umm, yes ....

Now that we're well into the twenty-first century it's common to drop the " printed " off "circuit boards" because most people understand that you aren't talking about pieces of phenolic with standoffs rivetted to them to fasten the components that have wires soldered between their terminals, like a 1936 RCA.

But it was a good try :P

In any case, most of the early aerospace was wired (and yes, using circuit boards) because that was the contemporary technology.

Not from what I have been told. I had nc machines from 1963 and earlier that were all printed circuits so wire-wrap was not "state of the art" in the late sixties, but my friend from JPL had lots of bad stuff to say about elderly printed circuits. They were not reliable in space. Beyond the physical problems, they outgassed. And the connectors were a big problem. Even fastening them down caused failures. They went with wired components for reliabilty, because printed circuits did not do the job.

But Classy's house is more likely to break off and fall into the ocean than charge off into space :mrgreen:
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...