Apple

New MacBook Pro advice... - Page 2

jan-jaap wrote:
Got a MBP 13" last week. I may get an SSD for it, but so far I'm loving it :)

Good stuff!!

5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
welcome to the club jj :)

if you go the ssd route check out owc (europe: 1 , 2 ) . i´m not the man for specs but they know what they're selling. i bought one for wife's 13' some time ago and it' decent
fu wrote:
mine still sits in its box and -ahem- i've almost forgotten that the 13'' comes with a glossy screen…might try those anti-glare films when i get a chance

hi fu!

I know this is old news now, but the macs (at least the air I have) with glossy screen do have a pretty good anti reflective coating. It is day and night better than a PC with glossy screen where you can see your smiling mug in the frame :mrgreen: and even better than the matte screens w.r.t. glare in a few situations. If you're looking for fancy colour options calibrated, etc for photos I don't think there are any in the 13" or smaller or this price range.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
gracias syb

looks like i have to make do with it :)

when on the go i might swallow it as long as a thunderboo! port gives me the option to connect a decent external monitor when on the field/set/studio

i'll be testing an ipad for a couple of weeks, if i end up dropping  it as a daily roadie, i'll go try the upcoming mba

first + foremost, i need a summer brake :P
I have a 15inch with the glossy and a 17inch with the matte. Both are good. I rarely run into an issue with glare on the glossy.

5/11/11 12:58:19 AM gfxCardStatus[268] AMD Radeon HD 6750M in use. Bummer! Less battery life for you.
5/11/11 12:58:20 AM gfxCardStatus[268] Intel HD Graphics 3000 in use. Sweet deal! More battery life.
MacBook Pro 17inch 2011
Mac Mini 2010
Got a 15" high-res after my 13" died. The higher pixel density on the high-res display option is a must in 15" (if you're getting more inches on your display, you might as well get the real estate to go with) and makes even the 13" look horribly blurry.

I'm in iOS app development right now and I'm getting spoiled by staring at an iPhone 4 every day - displays I formerly thought of as "beautiful" now look grainy and the previous-generation iDevice displays, which I always thought were pretty good, now annoy me.

Other than the high-res matte display (which I can't live without) I'd rather have the 13" - I prefer the size, weight, and especially the hour or two better battery life I got out of the 13". Too bad it's only offered with the iffy glass screen...

Also, get an SSD, whatever you do. It'll make your system feel ten times faster if you do almost anything people usually use a computer for. Unless you're doing something strictly numerical (sci, algos, etc.) or something graphics intensive, the SSD will help you more than the last 2-3 generations of MacBook Pro. It really is amazing. Chrome gets a huge speed boost from having its cache and databases on SSD, XCode gets a huge boost from being able to quickly seek to autocomplete indexes and debug symbols, and sleep/wake get truly enormous boosts from writing the hibernate file much faster. Especially if you're used to using a 5400rpm hard drive it'll be like another world.

In my case, I happened to be in NYC for business and if you've ever compared the prices in Europe vs. the US you know this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up on :) I was very much in doubt between the 13" and the 15" w. high res/matte screen. However, this is my first Mac and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. This one was $1200, the 15", with the matte high res screen was $2600 (the Apple Store only stocks the faster CPU w. matte screen). I like the overall dimensions of the 13" better (this one will mostly see "surfing from the sofa" type of use).

If OS X grows on me I may throw out my Windows PC and replace it with an iMac or Mac Pro to do the heavy lifting.

Is there a list of key combinations somewhere? I was kind of shocked to see there was no Backspace, PgUp/Down, ... :shock: I've discovered some combinations like Fn-Delete, Option-Up/Down now, but a comprehensive list would be nice.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
Is there a list of key combinations somewhere? I was kind of shocked to see there was no Backspace, PgUp/Down, ... :shock: I've discovered some combinations like Fn-Delete, Option-Up/Down now, but a comprehensive list would be nice.

Here's a nice list: http://guides.macrumors.com/Keyboard_shortcuts :)
Holy thread revival Batman.

I just thought I'd post here as I just got myself a MBP 13" last week and loving it. Just the basic model.

The graphics chipset seems fine. Runs Portal2 just as well as my old Dell if not better. I did consider the Air, but lower spec for the same money and no DVD drive. My choice was simple.

I got a magic mouse with it too, which I do like a lot, but I miss my middle button for use in 3D packages.

Still getting everything setup really, but so far, it's great apart form the lack of certain keys like, delete, home, end, pgup, pgdown.

Gonna study the shortcuts now.

!m!

Mac Book Pro 13" Running Lion.
All SGI's now in the hands of people that will use them more.
Some Octane parts and cables and coasters still available. PM for info.
fn+up/down arrows for PageUp/PageDown, at least under Snow Leopard. The left/right combos do something as well.

New models being announced in June, or so Mom was told at the Apple store yesterday. (Helping replace her 2007 MacBook for her birthday/Mothers Day...)

Apple has a list at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343?view ... cale=en_US