Apple

QTVR and Object Rigs

Long story short, lets say I wanted to create thousands of multi-row QTVR objects that would be published into an online parts catalog so that the customers can virtually pick up the items and inspect them, what SW/HW combo would work best?

Anyone here have experience with QTVR authoring software on Mac? If so, do you have any recommendations for multi-row object rigs and software suites?

Yeah, there is probably a half dozen forums dedicated to this subject alone, but I figured I would ask here as a way to aggregate and co-opt your knowledge of mac land. :)
I didn't even know QTVR was still openly used anymore, let alone supported.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
mr VP's back? where's your skate man?

qtvr is alive, qtvras is a zombie, officially discontinued but floating around the interwebs. apple says there's still software to do it on current macs.

i haven't done anything serious since the days of MacOS 8.x with it.

VenomousPinecone wrote:
...thousands of multi-row QTVR objects that would be published into an online parts catalog..

that sounds like lots of shooting and a really fast button-pusher assistant for stitching it all together and feeding the website.

hw-wise you don't have to spend lots of money VP, just a mac and some honest-to-goodness photographic equipment. i've no idea if this is the best practice for fast web publishing though.
fu wrote:
mr VP's back? where's your skate man?

Oh i'm back man, totally back.

fu wrote:
qtvr is alive, qtvras is a zombie, officially discontinued but floating around the interwebs. apple says there's still software to do it on current macs.

i haven't done anything serious since the days of MacOS 8.x with it.

VenomousPinecone wrote:
...thousands of multi-row QTVR objects that would be published into an online parts catalog..

that sounds like lots of shooting and a really fast button-pusher assistant for stitching it all together and feeding the website.

hw-wise you don't have to spend lots of money VP, just a mac and some honest-to-goodness photographic equipment. i've no idea if this is the best practice for fast web publishing though.

Cool cool, the boss man is ordering me a macbook pro. We got plenty of booms, lights and diffusers already, so I guess I just need to get the rig and play with the software. Unfortunately no assistant button pusher yet, but it sure will add to job security knowing that the project will take a couple years. :D
Much as it pains me to say it I think you might be better served looking into something Flash-based. QTVR doesn't work quite right anymore - loading a QTVR demo with the latest Quicktime For Windows definitely just gave me the QuickTime + ? icon instead of the VR. It's going to be a hassle for your users.

I don't know of any off-the-shelf Flash software-only packages to do it off the top of my head (3DRev amongst others provide an end-to-end and expensive service for it) but it's frankly trivial to implement once you have the photos (that's the hard part).

I think 3D flyarounds are going out of style in online retail - both Saks and Apple dropped theirs within the last few years, and everyone else seems to have followed suit. It makes a lot more sense in a parts catalog but its fade from the forefront means less software support.

set things up the way you like and if you need any help, just press the buzzer
VenomousPinecone wrote:
Unfortunately no assistant button pusher yet ...

If you can handle the receiving end, I can ship you one or two or three.
Thanks for the offer Fu, I will hit you up if I run into any snags.

hamei wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:
Unfortunately no assistant button pusher yet ...

If you can handle the receiving end, I can ship you one or two or three.

So long as I can ship myself back the other direction in the same carton after it arrives. I have always had a thing for standardized shipping containers.