Apple

Taming the Leopard

Apple started to sell Mac OSX 10.5. Who is planning to get the new MacOSX version?
Are there already some pieces of informationen about running 10.5 on older Macs e.g. G4 400 MHz?
:O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane:
I will probably upgrade to it sometime in the next few months, I am pretty happy with 10.4 so I am in no big rush.

Apple says that you need at least a G4 867Mhz for it run, so your 400Mhz machine will probably be quite slow.
My copy arrived at 10:16 AM this morning VIA FedEx. I installed it a few hours ago after I got off of work and I'm playing with it now. :)
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
Probably not for a while, if ever. The lack of Classic is a bit of a dealbreaker.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I have it up and running on all my machines (Mac Pro, iMac x86, MacBook, G4 tower). Good to go so far.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I have it up and running on all my machines (Mac Pro, iMac x86, MacBook, G4 tower). Good to go so far.

So you have been busy the last days updating all your Mac boxes to Leopard.
Your iMac x86 is a first generation model with Intel Core cpu and with a mate display? Not the current Alu iMac?

yuckymucky wrote: Apple says that you need at least a G4 867Mhz for it run, so your 400Mhz machine will probably be quite slow.

Yes I can image that Leopard will not install or run quit slow on this old mac.
It's a quite old powermac 400 with PCI gfx that I use in the office for surfing, ssh shells, web radio, converting mac fonts, etc. No serious image/video/dtp applications. Maybe I should try to upgrade to tiger first. 10.3.9 is currently running on it.
cicero wrote: It's a quite old powermac 400 with PCI gfx that I use in the office for surfing, ssh shells, web radio, converting mac fonts, etc. No serious image/video/dtp applications. Maybe I should try to upgrade to tiger first. 10.3.9 is currently running on it.

Tiger runs great on that configuration. With RAM so cheap, make sure that you have at least 512 MB in the box. Personally, I suggest 1 GB, particularly on an older machine.
cicero wrote: Your iMac x86 is a first generation model with Intel Core cpu and with a mate display? Not the current Alu iMac?

Right, it's a 20" 2GHz CoreDuo.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
The new Mac OS cant be installed on systems under 867Mhz even if the got a CPU upgrade. Unless you can get it to work. But jess didnt get it to work on her mac. G4 Mac with G4 Dual 1.6GHz CPU upgrade is what she's got.
josehill wrote: Tiger runs great on that configuration. With RAM so cheap, make sure that you have at least 512 MB in the box. Personally, I suggest 1 GB, particularly on an older machine.

Yes some days ago I upgraded to 768 MB. I found some SDRAM DIMMs in a dusty WinNT box ;)
Today I 've created some business cards in xpress. it runs quite well on this old box. But I'll keep my eyes open for additional memory. 1 GB is max?

Anyone here that ownes one of the current alu iMacs?
cicero wrote: Yes some days ago I upgraded to 768 MB. I found some SDRAM DIMMs in a dusty WinNT box ;)
Today I 've created some business cards in xpress. it runs quite well on this old box. But I'll keep my eyes open for additional memory. 1 GB is max?

768 MB is pretty good. As for how much RAM your machine can take, take a look at the appropriate machine page http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml or the RAM configurator at http://crucial.com .
Gray Fox wrote: The new Mac OS cant be installed on systems under 867Mhz even if the got a CPU upgrade. Unless you can get it to work. But jess didnt get it to work on her mac. G4 Mac with G4 Dual 1.6GHz CPU upgrade is what she's got.

Just read this at cubeowner:

http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.p ... opic=13004

Seems I'll have to hook up my Cube in target disk mode in order to install 10.5
Or find the plist that has the supported machines....
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
Tnx for the link zahal. Seems that Leopard is slower on PPC Macs than Tiger:
http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/mm07/1029.html
From the economic point of view it's understandable that Apple has "optimized" Leopard for x86 Macs. They want their customers to change.

josehill wrote: 768 MB is pretty good.

Yes it seems to run good. It's a PCI gfx model (Yikes), so it can take only 1 GB RAM max.
I'll keep on searching discarded Win NT boxes in the office for compatible SDRAM dimms.
Maybe I find even an old AGP Power Mac ;)
cicero wrote: Apple started to sell Mac OSX 10.5. Who is planning to get the new MacOSX version?
Are there already some pieces of informationen about running 10.5 on older Macs e.g. G4 400 MHz?

It might be a while before I venture into Leopard land with my PowerBook. I fear that some of my key apps, notably Oracle will take some tweaking to get working again. Might wait for the first update and then take the plunge.

Best Feature: DTrace !!!!

How is the performance like on a G4 system?
Apple Unibody MBP 2.66Ghz, 8Gb OSX 10.6
Apple MacMini 1.83Ghz, 1Gb OSX 10.5
Apple Power Mac Cube 450Mhz, 256Mb, OSX 10.3 Sweet!
Sun Ultra10 440Mhz 1Gb, SunOS 5.10

http://gothmog.homeunix.net/blog
BTW, has anyone performed a CLEAN INSTALL? Can you format your boot volume as ZFS?
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
ChristTrekker wrote: My G5 desktop is still on 10.3, so I'm hoping I can scrape together the funds for 10.5 in the next few months.

Funds for Leopard? There are some great deals on the Intarweb - or so I've been told.
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.