Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Xnest and XDM

I'm trying to remotely desktop login using Xnest... but seems not working.

was using Xdep32 on windoze .. and now that I moved to suse on my laptop i need something similar.. and tried Xnest.. but i cant get it working... it complaints about fonts that doenst find.. and maybe that's the problem... anyone have any idea?

cheers.
----
:: jean-claude
:: mimgfx dot com
----
... ok I must definetly be asking silly questions... or nobody here uses Linux.

I'll try to figure it out how to remotely login via Xdm...

cheers.
----

:: jean-claude

:: mimgfx dot com

----
sum][one wrote: ... ok I must definetly be asking silly questions... or nobody here uses Linux.

I'll try to figure it out how to remotely login via Xdm...

cheers.
I tried to use Xnest on Sun, and it doesn't work either... It used to work in 256 colors, but nothing goes except Xnesting to my own machine as a different user... If all you want is log into the other machine, you can always run XDCMP chooser off the GDM login window...
sum][one wrote: ... ok I must definetly be asking silly questions... or nobody here uses Linux.

I think it's the latter, if it is a silly question, we're even more silly not knowing the answer :wink:
Personally, I'm a linux noob, and just busy learning irix...
:O2: Toika :O2: Myra :O2: Fiona :Octane: Lisa :Octane: Sandra :Indigo2: Danica :Indy: Giana :O200: Lara :O200: :O200: Iona :O2000: Aida
sum][one wrote: I'm trying to remotely desktop login using Xnest... but seems not working.

was using Xdep32 on windoze .. and now that I moved to suse on my laptop i need something similar.. and tried Xnest.. but i cant get it working... it complaints about fonts that doenst find.. and maybe that's the problem... anyone have any idea?

cheers.

Xnest takes the same arguments as the regular X server binary. Try "Xnest :15 -query remotemachine" -- that will issue an XDMCP query to "remotemachine", and give the Xnest screen the display number ":15"

Note that the IRIX desktop really, really sucks under Xnest.

Another proviso: the CDE desktop will just go down hard due to missing fonts / aliases. While it's not possible to use the CDE fonts under Linux (due to their bizarre format), you *can* get a fixed set of font aliases so the thing doesn't crash, even if it does look funny.