Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Linux booting on a Octane - Page 2

Hmm now that's interesting. Would that mean a G130 works using Linux/NetBSD? Does anyone happen to know? Does anyone now if the 3C597 works under these OSes in an I2?
$ cat TODO

Learn Inner Sanctuary; Act Autonomous; Forge Future; Experience Enthean Enlightenment.
Not surprised it's slow on Indy, the hw accel on Indy is practically nonexistant. I'm writing a Really Nice (tm) MIPS disassembler Very Soon Now (I plan to start working on it at July 6) and look exactly into how does one initialize the MGRAS card (I already figured out how to load microcode, and the HQ4 ucode loads fine, but verification of the GE11 ucode hangs the card rock solid, so I guess I missed some configuration detail earlier on).

When the card is initialized, limited OpenGL (no context switching) is extremely simple, as OpenGL calls map directly to register writes (thanks, SGI!). Context switching is, on the other hand, very hard.
skylark wrote: I'm writing a Really Nice (tm) MIPS disassembler Very Soon Now (I plan to start working on it at July 6)

What's wrong with "objdump --disassemble" or even "objdump --disassemble-all".
There are some "disassemblers" for Linux that are really just perl scripts that wrap around objdump. You may be able to adapt one for IRIX.

Also, there's "dis" on IRIX. Depending on the status of IRIX binary compatibility in Linux/MIPS, you may be able to run it.

NetBSD has IRIX compatibility. The article series is an excellent read: http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/08/08/irix.html
objdump -d will not automatically, for instance, decode calls to printf() and display what is actually printed, as this kind of data flow analysis is not implemented. Neither it is easy to do in a Perl script. The same about gp-relative indexing. I want to identify high-level structures, like while() loops and if()s, too.

Stanislaw
How is your work on the port going anyways Stanislaw? where you able to get your hands on a dual cpu module?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
Orakel wrote: Hmm now that's interesting. Would that mean a G130 works using Linux/NetBSD? Does anyone happen to know?

no, the G130 does not working :(

look at this statement: http://lists.debian.org/debian-mips/2004/02/msg00063.html

marty
Heh, yes! I'll be working on SMP shortly. I must say that Octanes are the most beautifully engineered machines I have ever seen. SGI, they were good :)

And I learnt somewhat more about IRIX internals, too. Writing a debugger that can trace Xsgi while it's running was... interesting :)
skylark wrote: Heh, yes! I'll be working on SMP shortly. I must say that Octanes are the most beautifully engineered machines I have ever seen. SGI, they were good :)

And I learnt somewhat more about IRIX internals, too. Writing a debugger that can trace Xsgi while it's running was... interesting :)

Stan, that's interesting to hear, i know i've had a look at your site recently and you have a nice overview of the work done so far. It would be good to hear an overview from you though as there hasn't been much in way of email traffic regarding your port on linux-mips (from searching the achive anyways) What sort of insight has the xsgi debugger given you into mgras gfx?

http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~sskowron/ip30/
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
Well, I managed to find out how to DMA images to and from the graphics. It was not easy because there are several workarounds involved (e.g. you can't DMA from the gfx in the vertical flip mode, you've got to switch it, DMA, and switch it back).

About the linux-mips: most of the traffic is now on #mipslinux IRC :)