Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

Motif and MWM - Page 3

ClassicHasClass wrote:
You have not run AIX until you have run it on the original Apple Network Server. -- Gorkon the system adminstrator

Did it have any customizations to the OS beside adding AppleShare (this is the only think Wikipedia mentions) or was it only a pain to setup?

4.1.4 added Apple Talk (not "-Share"), more accurately EtherTalk since it did not support LocalTalk. It did not implement AFP, though third party packages like uShare did (a demo version was included). Btw, uShare sucked turgid moose wang. It was horrible.

4.1.5 added AFP as well and this was decent, but by then I was already using Samba, and then Apple discontinued the ANS altogether.

ANS AIX also added some hidden utilities like one that printed characters to the LCD, and another one to do software floppy eject, all of which were specific to the ANS hardware.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
4.1.4 added Apple Talk (not "-Share"), ...

Oh, this is something you might not have noticed yet - did you know that Irix has support for either AppleTalk or AppleShare ? (I'm not sure which since I isn't an Apple person.) It's on the installation CD's ...

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
hamei wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:
4.1.4 added Apple Talk (not "-Share"), ...

Oh, this is something you might not have noticed yet - did you know that Irix has support for either AppleTalk or AppleShare ? (I'm not sure which since I isn't an Apple person.) It's on the installation CD's ...

Yes indeed it does. It's referred to as Ktalk.

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16718509

Well, CDE is free software since August 6th, 2012...

Part of me wishes, though, that they had continued XFCE as a CDE clone... From what I've seen in the newer versions, it's not possible to create the same type of "drawers" that CDE uses in its dock.

Well, CDE is free software since August 6th, 2012...

Yes, but by now, the code base of CDE is very dated and lacks things like Unicode support. It will be a fine addition especially when it makes its way into distro repositories (I've compiled and installed it from source), but it's still about 10-15 years behind the curve. CDE is still a great desktop, though, don't get me wrong... I can't deny my love for that industrial look with its orange, gray, and teal. It will become even better when all the bugs are hammered out, and Xinerama is fully supported.

XFCE could have been a modern version of CDE, but instead it became more like lightweight GNOME.

Who cares ? Unicode unicode unicode ... who gives a shit ? How many people run more than one language on their computer ? (Besides me.) What good is it except for clueless web developers who take one look at your ip then "helpfully" change the language on you ? Fucking nitwits.

Thanks so much, morons. I really wanted my page to show up in Assyrian cuneiform. I swear to God, if I could lure all the world's web developers into one room, I'd turn on the fire sprinklers and drown them all.

Yes, but by now, the code base of CDE is very dated and lacks things like Unicode support.

Who cares ? Unicode unicode unicode ... who gives a shit ? How many people run more than one language on their computer ? (Besides me.) What good is it except for clueless web developers who take one look at your ip then "helpfully" change the language on you ? Fucking nitwits.

Thanks so much, morons. I really wanted my page to show up in Assyrian cuneiform. I swear to God, if I could lure all the world's web developers into one room, I'd turn on the fire sprinklers and drown them all.

Well I care because I'm constantly doing multilingual work (yes, every day, in terminals, text editors, and browser windows). In fact, I would have to say that most of the work I do on a computer is multilingual work. For me, not having a Unicode capable terminal is unacceptable, and not having a Unicode aware text editor is even more so. When setting up CDE, the first things that I have to do are to install replacements for the terminal and text editor, and fonts for them to use. Unicode just provides a standard multilingual encoding framework (a set of code points for every language and glyph).

The world has moved on since 1995, and supporting "code pages" that require about 10 different convoluted steps to set up, is crude, primitive, and low tech -- a remnant of the bad old days. Supporting Unicode is actually much simpler than supporting various language-specific incompatible encodings.

That really is a terrible imposition, I agree ... If I'd only known you had to install your own editor and terminal, I'd have realized that CDE was worthless.

Quote:
The world has moved on since 1995 ...

Absolutely. We used to be men ...
Attachment:
user_interface.jpg
user_interface.jpg [ 342.85 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

When setting up CDE, the first things that I have to do are to install replacements for the terminal and text editor, and fonts for them to use.

That really is a terrible imposition, I agree ... If I'd only known you had to install your own editor and terminal, I'd have realized that CDE was worthless.

Quote:
The world has moved on since 1995 ...

Absolutely. We used to be men ...
Attachment:
user_interface.jpg

And what's the purpose of using a desktop environment if the utilities that come with it are useless? If that's the case, then I might as well use a simple window manager instead. As I've said, Unix doesn't need to be crippleware. Yet here you are again advocating for inferior technology while conceding that workarounds are needed.

Yeah, the world was really great back in the 90s when people relied on dozens of incompatible encodings, nearly all of which were inadequate for their respective languages, right? Or maybe we should just go back to ASCII and hide our heads in the sand.

Okay, here's a dumb Motif question ... under /usr/Motif-2.1/include/Sgm we have the SGI Motif customizations. Supposing one is compiling a Motif application, if you use the SGI headers do you get the SGI-appearing widgets ? or is there more involved ?

AFAIK it's actually even simpler than that, you just have to enable sgiMode for that app in the X resources and voila, you get IRIXy Motif.

AFAIK it's actually even simpler than that, you just have to enable sgiMode for that app in the X resources and voila, you get IRIXy Motif.

Cool, duck. Thanks. I had a couple apps without Xdefaults entires ; added them and it looks a tiny bit more coherent. That trick even works for Ted :D

One small step for Man ...