Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

RAID-5 vs RAID-6 in backup plan - Page 2

GL1zdA wrote:
Is anyone here using Amazon Glacier for his backups?

Hadn't heard about that, but then I've somehow missed all of Amazon's cloud stuff so far. However I had been thinking something like S3 might be an option for off-site backups after the data's been suitably encrypted. Probably already been incorporated into Amanda or Baccula by now. Hell, do it using that filesystem layer they built on top of GMail back when a free 5GB mailbox was astounding. ;)

Is anyone here using Amazon Glacier for his backups? I thought last year about building a FreeNAS array, but making a RAID-Z2 array would require me to buy 6 HDDs and of course all the other parts. Amazon charges $0.01/GB per month so having a terabyte archive would mean $10 monthly and not having to worry about hardware/configuration/power. It's managed through a web service, but if you don't want to write your own client, there are several to choose from. I'm using FreeGlacier , but I can change it at any time, since it's not tied to the service. The only downside is that Glacier works more like a tape backup - you can't just download your files, you request such operation and wait 6 hours for the file to be prepared for download.

My concerns are time, security (partially solvable by encryption) and what happens if they decide to pull the plug tomorrow. Contrariwise, how do you verify their backups (or even for that matter verify your backup in a timely manner)?

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:
Is anyone here using Amazon Glacier for his backups? I thought last year about building a FreeNAS array, but making a RAID-Z2 array would require me to buy 6 HDDs and of course all the other parts. Amazon charges $0.01/GB per month so having a terabyte archive would mean $10 monthly and not having to worry about hardware/configuration/power. It's managed through a web service, but if you don't want to write your own client, there are several to choose from. I'm using FreeGlacier , but I can change it at any time, since it's not tied to the service. The only downside is that Glacier works more like a tape backup - you can't just download your files, you request such operation and wait 6 hours for the file to be prepared for download.

My concerns are time

This depends heavily on your upload speed and archive size, so calculations have to be done for every case separately.

SAQ wrote:
security (partially solvable by encryption)

This is a property of all cloud services and I don't think you need more than to encrypt your data.

SAQ wrote:
and what happens if they decide to pull the plug tomorrow

You can say that about any company your doing business with. But I think the chance of Amazon pulling the plug is as high as a natural disaster destroying my backups. And of course everything depends on the data - not all of your data needs equal security. I wouldn't backup critical data on Glacier or at least it wouldn't be the only option.

SAQ wrote:
Contrariwise, how do you verify their backups (or even for that matter verify your backup in a timely manner)?

You could periodically download some archives from their service and verify them - shouldn't be hard to write a job which uses their SDK to do such things.

n-3 ?