Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

WinXP started spontaneously rebooting

Got a problem here I can't track down. Running Windows XP and it started rebooting spontaneously. At first it was just once in a while but recently its becoming a day to day headache. The error I'm getting is:

Code:
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered
a problem and needs to close

szAppName: svchost.exe  szAppVer: 0.0.0.0  szModName: unknown

szModVer: 0.0.0.0  offset: 00000000

Event viewer shows a fault bucket 07918338. How do I track down what this is? In Task Manager, the PID's of the svchost.exe processes running are:

4824 System
3628 System
2900 Local Service
1684 Local Service
1580 Network Service
1532 System
1492 System
1368 Network Service
1260 System
560 Local Service

How do I find out whats running by the PID?

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
Got a problem here I can't track down. Running Windows XP and it started rebooting spontaneously

Five bucks says it's hardware ......
hamei wrote:
kshuff wrote:
Got a problem here I can't track down. Running Windows XP and it started rebooting spontaneously

Why?

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
Why?

Mindless, non-analytical conditioned reflex. That kind of thing has always turned out to be a failing component in my experiences.
kshuff wrote:
hamei wrote:
kshuff wrote:

Why?

"At first it was just once in a while but recently its becoming a day to day headache."

kshuff wrote:
hamei wrote:
kshuff wrote:

Why?

"At first it was just once in a while but recently its becoming a day to day headache."

Brand new motherboard only a month old, direct from MSI to replace the one that failed.

See them all >here<
Bathtub curve. I'd say that then qualifies as infant mortality.

Is windows XP even supported on a recent motherboard?

You could run a backup of when the system was behaving properly and see if it still crashes, alternatively with a fresh installation of Windows...

Other than that I have nothing.

I have to disagree with it being a hardware issue. The problem is not random and according to the logs, when it does happen it is always around the same, early morning after 2:00am. Sometimes I can go a week with nothing happening, sometimes its day to day, but its always the same time of morning. If this was a hardware issue like a failing cap, etc, I would expect the pattern to be random.

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote:
Sometimes I can go a week with nothing happening, sometimes its day to day, but its always the same time of morning.

So by analyzing the crash dump or checking your crontabs, or whatever passes for a scheduler for your anti-virus and other overnight jobs on XP, what runs just after 2AM every night? (I understand it *can* go a week, but you've implied that sometimes it doesn't make it a week, hence my thinking it must run every night - maybe with a varying workload, like sometimes there are no new virus definitions to scan the disk for...)

Sometimes I can go a week with nothing happening, sometimes its day to day, but its always the same time of morning.

So by analyzing the crash dump or checking your crontabs, or whatever passes for a scheduler for your anti-virus and other overnight jobs on XP, what runs just after 2AM every night?

check the disk defragmenter too.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Following up on this post because after 8 months of banging my head against the wall I finally found what was causing the problem and thought people would like to know. It was hardware but it wasn't the motherboard, wasn't the memory, wasn't even the computer. The culprit, the APC UPS that the system was plugged into. I removed the UPS a week ago to use it with my CCTV and DVR system and the problem with the computer went away. Anyone care to take a guess what it was doing to the computer at 2am, no problems and works fine with the DVR system and cameras.

See them all >here<
Auto self-test causing your reboot? I didn't google around but I can hear my apc turn over every so often but it's reboot the little Atom serve that is plugged into..

Ok I throw a quick google.

http://forums.apc.com/thread/8633

-Mike