Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

SeaMicro Atom "Bomb"

This looks pretty neat, reminds me of SiCortex but with x86. While SiCortex aimed for computing power SeaMicro aims for the server market where I/O is more important. It also reminds me of the SGI atom brick that never seamed to materialize. What do you think, is this the way to go green?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3768/seam ... nsumption/

I imagine this thing is basically a very densely packed web serving fabric. Which may actually make sense, however from an architectural standpoint it is pretty boring.

at you?"
Doubleplus boring.

And very superficial article too.

Plus lame comments on the anandtech site.

And very superficial article too.

Plus lame comments on the anandtech site.

The fun has gone, for sure. Commodity crap, commodity writers, monoculture, boring boring boring.

What shall we do next ? Radio controlled submarines ? Or quarter-scale steam locomotives ?
Yeah - this is just a bunch of Atom systems attached via PCIe rather than via some other interconnect. SiCortex was much more interesting in that the interconnect was a Kautz graph and it shipped with MPI libraries (in addition to being MIPS), and Tilera is interesting in that they're doing a MIPS-on-microcode approach over a VLIW CPU, similar in some respects to what Transmeta did for x86 (although hopefully less broken).