IRIX and Software

Installing Photoshop 3.0.1

When I upgraded to 6.5.30, it hashed Photoshop because of the DPS stuff, so I'm trying to reinstall it. I had it installed on 6.5.22, but I had to do something to the install script, and for the life of me I cannot remember what I did (maybe it will dawn on me during cocktail time). But this is what its' doing.

I have a directory, we'll call <pwd> with the installation files, and the install script. When I launch the script, it gives me this error at the end:

Your CD-ROM could not be read from <PWD>/photoshop.tar

*** Installation canceled ***

I'm banging my head trying to remember what I did, but no amount of banging is helping :(
Image - trajan - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 147GB HDD
Image - hadrian - R5000 180Mhz - 128 MB RAM - 76 GB HDD
praetor242 wrote: I'm banging my head trying to remember what I did, but no amount of banging is helping :(

I seem to remember something like the error msg you reported.

Did you try moving your extracted files into the directory /CDROM and running the install from there?
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO
Try to search for DPS and Display Postscript on nekochan. I think DPS was removed from later IRIX releases after 6.5.22. I remember I had to install this manually, but I'm not sure whether the required files had been on the Photoshop CD or on an older IRIX CD set.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.
devv wrote: Did you try moving your extracted files into the directory /CDROM and running the install from there?

Yeah, I tried moving it to /CDROM, but no such luck :(

tomvos wrote: Try to search for DPS and Display Postscript on nekochan. I think DPS was removed from later IRIX releases after 6.5.22. I remember I had to install this manually, but I'm not sure whether the required files had been on the Photoshop CD or on an older IRIX CD set.

Yeah. I saw the thread about DPS on IRIX 6.5.30, and that's kinda what I need to make Illustrator work.
hamei invested quite some effort to bring that back into 6.5.30. you might wanna try the search
Yeah, there are a couple forum posts. The problem is the Photoshop installer fails before it can install the DPS binaries :(
Thanks to hamei, I got this solved. Turns out, the Illustrator installers that are out in the wild lack the DPS stuff. You need an actual Illustrator ISO with all the needed bits. Once you get it all installed it works like a charm under 6.5.30 (and for some reason Photoshop started working). This pleases me because now I can import drawings into SoftImage :D