IRIX and Software

distcp

I'm curious about distscp and wanted to created a tape install of IRIX 5.3. The version doesn't matter really, I could have gone for 6.1, both support boot from tape.

I have Disk 5.3 in the DVD drive on my Fuel

I have a tape drive in an Octane.

From the Octane

Code: Select all

distcp -n 192.168.1.50:/CDROM /dev/tape

So the first part is the FROM, I'm copying distribution from a remote machine [n] 192.168.1.50
The second part is TO.. to my default tape drive.

I'm receiving:

distcp: unable to get product descriptor(s)

maybe a faulty disk?
I will try 6.1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
to eliminate unnecessary problem sources i wouldn't use a remote drive
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: to eliminate unnecessary problem sources i wouldn't use a remote drive

Same result.
Doing this on my Fuel, from CD to LTO (same machine) produced the same result.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
with 5.3 and 6.1?
r-a-c.de
uunix wrote: I'm curious about distscp and wanted to created a tape install of IRIX 5.3. The version doesn't matter really, I could have gone for 6.1, both support boot from tape.

I have Disk 5.3 in the DVD drive on my Fuel

I have a tape drive in an Octane.

From the Octane

distcp -n 192.168.1.50:/CDROM /dev/tape

So the first part is the FROM, I'm copying distribution from a remote machine [n] 192.168.1.50
The second part is TO.. to my default tape drive.

I'm receiving:

distcp: unable to get product descriptor(s)

maybe a faulty disk?
I will try 6.1

Couple of things come to mind, but's it's been a few years so I might be talking nonsense ;)

1. Source: the files are not in /CDROM, but in /CDROM/dist. Tapes don't support directories.
2. Target: you're supposed to use the non-rewinding tape device, dev/nrtape.
3. IRIX 6.1? Really? You must be hiding a Power Onyx R8000 somewhere, because I think that's about the only hardware that will run it. :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: Tapes don't support directories

this is a problem for me, I need my folders
but, I can put a tar (Tape ARchive) on tapes
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
ivelegacy wrote:
jan-jaap wrote: Tapes don't support directories

this is a problem for me, I need my folders
but, I can put a tar (Tape ARchive) on tapes

Not sure completely what you're trying to do then - distcp will create a install tape set. If you're trying to create a bootable backup set your backup tape will generally be different from the tape you have as a bootable install. If you have the CD-ROM and a drive then you can boot off of that and then restore off of any tape (...that is supported by the IRIX miniroot...) you want.
It's been a while, but I think SGI's "official" archive program was cpio. Dump and restore (or xfsdump/xfsrestore) are good to look into as well.

I think there was one model of DEC tape drive that "looked" like a block device, the rest never had directories- at least ones that IRIX will be able to communicate with.

Found this - seems to be pretty straightforward: http://www.backupcentral.com/wiki/index ... l_Recovery

Of course techpubs also has a good and official doc, but it ain't up anymore.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)