IRIX and Software

Missing CDROM icon

Yesterday I replaced my DDS with an LTO2 & my SUN DVD with a new one that came from an IBM system (unsure what IBM system) & fitted a DM10.

All went well, only took 2 attempts to get the jumpers not conflicting and both work and look really nice.

But the CDROM ICON is missing from the desktop. The drive works perfect, I can navigate to it via command line and also via fm.

The DVD id is 3 8 (I thought they only went up to 7, shows how long it's been since I messed with SCSI).

hinv shows the DVD up fine also. Where's my ICON gone?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
chkconfig mediad on?
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: chkconfig mediad on?

yep
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Which SCSI buss do you have the DVD connected to? Perusing some of the Fuel hinv posts seems to suggest

Code: Select all

Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL12160, single ended
CDROM: unit 6 on SCSI controller 1
might have been the default config. Might be also worth taking a look to see what other configuration jumpers/options there are on the drive (other than SCSI ID) and how they compare to the original drive.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
There are two SCSI cables inside the Fuel: one to the harddisks, one to the CD/DVD-ROM. The latter is a traditional 50-pin cable, so narrow SCSI. IIRC, narrow SCSI only allowed 8 devices on a bus, numbered 0 ... 7. So if you jumpered your device to ID 8, I can imagine there's a problem.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
So I took the drive out and investigated more. It has some pcb on the back, which I thought nothing about at first, and the pins seem to miss a termination option.
Googling it, it turns out this is an IDE DVD with an ACARD IDE to SCSI convertor, model 7722.
http://dl.acard.com/manual/english/7722(E).pdf

The drive cost £18, I'm unsure to send it back since the Adapter seems rather interesting.

So I've put a DAT72 in the mean time.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Oh, that sounds like a good deal, since the SCSI-IDE adapters are uncommon and are being sold for prices well over 50 euro. Well, i admit, it was a few years ago when i last bought one.

The only downside to that adapter is that its SCSI connector is a 68-pin and according to Jan-Jaap, the Fuel has a 50-pin specially for the DVD-ROM connection. If the AEC-7722 can be forced to do narrow SCSI and if you can get a 68 to 50 pin converter, you can hook it up and check if it's working.
The AEC-7722 manual does state that the adapter doesn't perform SCSI to IDE conversion for control commands, so some functions like DVD-burning (if the drive is capable of that) probably doesn't work.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
dexter1 wrote: Oh, that sounds like a good deal, since the SCSI-IDE adapters are uncommon and are being sold for prices well over 50 euro. Well, i admit, it was a few years ago when i last bought one.

The only downside to that adapter is that its SCSI connector is a 68-pin and according to Jan-Jaap, the Fuel has a 50-pin specially for the DVD-ROM connection. If the AEC-7722 can be forced to do narrow SCSI and if you can get a 68 to 50 pin converter, you can hook it up and check if it's working.
The AEC-7722 manual does state that the adapter doesn't perform SCSI to IDE conversion for control commands, so some functions like DVD-burning (if the drive is capable of that) probably doesn't work.

Popped the SUN DVD back in and all is well again.. well apart from the colours, I suppose I will have to keep the flap closed.

Both the LTO and DVD where on the same LVD 50 pins on SCSI 0 QL12160. Now though, The SUN DVD is a Low voltage 50 pins SCSI connector (oblong).

So what to do with the IDE-SCSI Convertor... ah.. :shock: WTF http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACARD-AEC-7722-68-Pin-LVD-SCSI-to-IDE-Bridge-/261323017439?hash=item3cd810ccdf:g:DLYAAOSwPhdVGckA
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
So what to do with the IDE-SCSI Convertor... ah.. :shock: WTF http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACARD-AEC-772 ... SwPhdVGckA

Boy brother uunix, you sure fscking made out on that deal!! :)
SGI: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Fuel:
SUN: T2000 (x2], SunBlade 1500 Red (x2), SPARCstation 5 (x2) - Nextstep/Openstep, SPARCstation IPX
Alpha: DEC AXP 3000/300LX, API CS20 (Dual 833 Mhz CPUs)
Cobalt RaQ 550