IRIX and Software

Origin terminal

I just picked up an Origin to add to the collection. I'd like to use the Octane as a terminal...I'm looking for a terminal app. I'm using a serial connection.

It's been ages since I did anything server, this goes back to my digital equipment, Cal. U days in the late 80's so a bit of time has passed.

I though there was a terminal app as part of Irix but it's not installed on my octane.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
cu(1)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
robespierre wrote: cu(1)

I read the man page on cu earlier. I don't have it installed and read that it's on the Foundation 1 disk. :)
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Install the eoe.sw.uucp subsystem which isn't installed by default I believe. Start from the overlay and fix up conflicts using the foundation disk.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Vladio wrote: I just picked up an Origin to add to the collection. I'd like to use the Octane as a terminal...I'm looking for a terminal app. I'm using a serial connection.

Pardon me if you already know this and I realize you're looking for a serial terminal at this point but once you get the O200 up on the network, < rlogin -l username hostname > is a lot more comfortable than going in through the serial port. And Irix-to-Irix x-ing is way nicer than vnc or any of those other remote viewers. You can easily export the entire O200 desktop or any part thereof, over to the Octane without any extra parts or accessories.
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
hamei wrote: You can easily export the entire O200 desktop or any part thereof, over to the Octane without any extra parts or accessories.

The official run down on the Remote Display feature built into IRIX is covered by by the 6.5 End User book available from TechPubs, but you can pretty safely shoot from the hip with the info in his post by archaic .
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Thanks for the suggestions Hamei, Jan-jaap and recondas! I speak broken Irix so I usually take what's suggested and research the s**t out of it till I figure it out. :lol: I got my work cut out for me but, hey, it's a hobby not a job. At first I'd like to just get the Origin up and running is the simplest form then work upwards from there. I'm pretty stoked, it's a 2200 in excellent condition. I had to swap out my 15amp receptacle with a 20amp yesterday. It fires and shows there's no faults. It looks pretty damn cool in the computer room too!
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
I got uucp installed and followed these parameters "Using Another Workstation as the System Console" in http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_Admin/ChallS_OG/sgi_html/ch03.html .

When I type cu Direct at the prompt I get "connected" then it hangs, does nothing. any suggestions?
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: I got uucp installed and followed these parameters "Using Another Workstation as the System Console" in http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_Admin/ChallS_OG/sgi_html/ch03.html .

When I type cu Direct at the prompt I get "connected" then it hangs, does nothing. any suggestions?

Make sure it's going out the correct port in the config file. If it's the wrong port (or if there isn't anything coming over the serial) it will appear to hang. Cu (and the similar BSD "tip") aren't very good at the whole "tell you what's going on" thing.

If you do much of the headless box thing than a network console server/ terminal server becomes very nice. Plug your machines' TTYS0/OPA0/console whatever in, plug a network feed in, then you connect to the box over the network (via telnet, ssh, whatever it supports) and via that connect to the machine. No cable swapping needed.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
Vladio wrote: I got uucp installed and followed these parameters "Using Another Workstation as the System Console" in http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_Admin/ChallS_OG/sgi_html/ch03.html .

Make sure it's going out the correct port in the config file. If it's the wrong port (or if there isn't anything coming over the serial) it will appear to hang. Cu (and the similar BSD "tip") aren't very good at the whole "tell you what's going on" thing.

If you do much of the headless box thing than a network console server/ terminal server becomes very nice. Plug your machines' TTYS0/OPA0/console whatever in, plug a network feed in, then you connect to the box over the network (via telnet, ssh, whatever it supports) and via that connect to the machine. No cable swapping needed.

I know what I did that might of made this go south and I'll check when I get home. What if everything on my Octane's set right? I assume this then goes to the Origin as being the problem? Does the connection work on a basic level in that regardless of the origin's os I should get something? The reason I ask is that when I turn it on the fans go into high mode. In my experience high speed fan mode is the default when there's either no os or an os that's not loading.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Nothing. Just can't catch a break. Other than the power switch/key my son just broke on it.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
I got this sorted last night. The processor node wasn't installed correctly. I pulled it and reseated the memory and cpu daughter card, reinstalled the node and got a nice, clean boot with a serial connection. All's well in New Originville. Thank you to all that replied!
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
If you use VcXsrv than you can remote login using X from your old windows XP like I do - works mostly, but does not do well storing sessio info between logins

I have ever used VcXsrv in anything other than XP so not sure if newer version work okay but I suspect they should.

chose and XDMCP session and type the hostname of the machine - of course you will probably need to use a serial login prior to this to set the hostname etc.

Cheers