IRIX and Software

New illustrator install and activation

I just popped the seal on an unused/unopened Illustrator cd and installed. Of course it works but only functions as a trial without activating. There's a form to fill out and fax and a 1-800 number but since it's copyright 1994 I'm going to assume there's no way to "activate" my copy. Just wondering if that's the end-game or if there's a way to legally activate (which I'm guessing there's probably not) to use it.

Just to be clear - I'M NOT ASKING FOR A COPY OF ANYTHING AND I'M NOT TRYING TO RIP ADOBE OFF IN ANY WAY. I ASSUME THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO OTHER THAN USE THE TRIAL VERSION but thought I'd ask in case I'm wrong. I have spent thousands of dollars on legitimate Adobe software and am currently using their wares on my Mac Pro. Just thought it would be fun to play around with it on the SGI.

Someone somewhere paid for both the Photoshop and Illustrator that I have and neither have been open till today.

Thanks in advance
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
I opened an NT4 box the other week and sent in the registration details for a chance of a weekend away for two at a hotel that doesn't exist anymore.

I haven't heard back yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
You could try their offline activation link:

https://exception.licenses.adobe.com/aoes/aoes/v1/t1?locale=en

If your CD of Illustrator's product ID is still in the database that that link connects to you could be in luck! Doubtful, but worth a try...?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Adobe software on IRIX uses a truly ancient version of FLEXlm (version 2, for Photoshop at least). The serial# itself isn't even used to nodelock the license, it's what was needed to convince Adobe to generate a nodelocked license for you and nothing else.

I sincerely doubt that a Creative Suite support site will magically spit out this ancient license format.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
If the license is good, why not call Adobe and see what happens? If nothing else it could give you a good story to share.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
That won't work, I've tried it. They will just flip their response book to the unsupported version page and then lobby you buy the latest and greatest. Steve Jobs was right, Adobe sucks... :|
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
armanox wrote: If the license is good, why not call Adobe and see what happens? If nothing else it could give you a good story to share.

I tried a while back. I dug up an Adobe sales number and called with the included activation paperwork in hand. The girl was totally without words when I said "Irix" to her asking "What operating system is it for?". They abandoned it a long time ago in terms of technology so I didn't expect to get anywhere.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
vishnu wrote: That won't work, I've tried it. They will just flip their response book to the unsupported version page and then lobby you buy the latest and greatest. Steve Jobs was right, Adobe sucks... :|

I would push the issue. I called them a couple years ago about an old copy of Macromedia Dreamweaver MX and they eventually were able to give me an activation number. Depending on your location and the license terms they may be legally required to let you activate it somehow.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
I agree. You've bought a license to use the software, a valid license. If they refuse to activate it, I'd push them for a refund and see if that gets them to change their mind!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Well, I just spent 48 minutes on hold and was told that if I goto their website and select my product then select to online chat that they'll give me the activation code. It sounds too easy but I'll try.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: Well, I just spent 48 minutes on hold and was told that if I goto their website and select my product then select to online chat that they'll give me the activation code. It sounds too easy but I'll try.

If that works I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suspected they'd offer you a year of "Creative Cloud" instead.

If they won't help I've heard rumors of people who have put jump instructions in via a hex editor...
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: If they won't help I've heard rumors ...

This reminds me of Richard Pryor's routines about eating pussy ...

"Oh nooo, not me, baby ! I don' do dat oh noooo, not dis nigga."

:P

"Yes, I shot de cah. If da bitch was gonna go away, she was gonna do it on her own two feet.

Den da cops came and I went inside. 'Cuz dey got guns too. And they don't shoot cahs. They shoot niggahs."

Thirty years later and he can still make you laugh till you cry. And then you can just cry, cuz it's even more true today. The pigs still don't shoot cars. They shoot niggas. For failing to signal. Aren't they brave ?
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
SAQ wrote:
Vladio wrote: Well, I just spent 48 minutes on hold and was told that if I goto their website and select my product then select to online chat that they'll give me the activation code. It sounds too easy but I'll try.

If that works I'll be pleasantly surprised. I suspected they'd offer you a year of "Creative Cloud" instead.

If they won't help I've heard rumors of people who have put jump instructions in via a hex editor...

Twenty bucks says I'm going to end up going with option number two. :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB