IRIX and Software

Nekoware not working on Indy?

Hi folks.. sorry this is probably an extremely micky mouse question - I'm not a long term UNIX kinda guy and just dabble with SGI stuff for a bit of fun.

I've just setup a basic, clean IRIX 6.5.22 on my Indy (175MHz R4400) and gone to install some Nekoware apps onto the system and to my surprise they're all saying upon launching 'Program not supported by architecture'.

I did tar up the packages from my Octane and copy them over the network so wondering if either something happened in transit to corrupt them, or whether something happened to the packages on the source host that makes them unusable on other architectures?!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

OK - so the Indy despite the R4400 CPU is MIPS3. This explains why. Weird.

Sorry for the pointless thread :)
:Indigo: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Octane2: :O200:
chicaneuk wrote: OK - so the Indy despite the R4400 CPU is MIPS3

not despite, the r4400 is mips3. if you want mips4 you need an r5000 or higher. for freeware that runs on your indy have a look at tgcware or my builds for 6.2.
r-a-c.de
For some reason I was sure I'd had Nekoware MIPS4 packages working on my Indigo2 but then realised it might have been my R10K one which of course is MIPS4.

Wouldn't mind scoring IRIX 6.2 for my Indy but alas I only have a 6.5 media set so it has to just manage with that... bit slow, but just about usable :)
chicaneuk wrote: Wouldn't mind scoring IRIX 6.2 for my Indy but alas I only have a 6.5 media set so it has to just manage with that... bit slow, but just about usable :)

Thought I could help you out here, but can't find it, so I presume it must be at the ex's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Not related really, but thought it about time I refreshed my original CD library (had them now for as long as I can remember), so just picked up 6.5.12 for a crisp £10. Still factory sealed!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Where from? Any search for IRIX on eBay brings up ludicrously overpriced CD sets. Not that I need it as I do have a full IRIX install set, but just think you managed to score a bargain.
It was indeed ebay, it was up for £15 and I made an offer of £10 (+£3 P&P).
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Great success. Now if I could just find IRIX 6.2... hmmm....

Really wish SGI (or whatever is left of them) would just make old versions of IRIX available to download, or sanction something like Nekochan hosting copies of them. Seriously it's of no interest to anyone but hobbyists like us.
chicaneuk wrote: Great success. Now if I could just find IRIX 6.2... hmmm....

just in case, the 6.2 freeware runs fine on all later versions
r-a-c.de
chicaneuk wrote: Great success. Now if I could just find IRIX 6.2... hmmm....

Really wish SGI (or whatever is left of them) would just make old versions of IRIX available to download, or sanction something like Nekochan hosting copies of them. Seriously it's of no interest to anyone but hobbyists like us.

... and those who licensed code to SGI to put in IRIX and who would be more than happy to sue them and pick up some easy money.
In most cases it's not as easy as saying "gee, we're not selling this anymore - let's give it away."
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: pick up some easy money.

Maybe not that easy ... it's hard to get blood out of a turnip.

But I understand your point. The first thing let's do, is hang all the lawyers :P
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote: But I understand your point. The first thing let's do, is hang all the lawyers :P

I was going to post something regarding our client base being lawyers and solicitors and then though better of it.. for any of you that can read my mind.. yup!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!