IRIX and Software

Stolen - Page 2

In order for a "phone home" app to work the sgi would have to either get an IP address via dhcp or the thief would have had to rework the network settings. I know there are "dhcp on Irix" threads hereabout, but are any of us really using it on our sgis? :?: :?:

pentium wrote: I seem to recall when SAQ was burgled they took everything BUT his SGI's.

Speaking of good 'ol SAQ, anybody heard from him? I know he and his wife were expecting last August, maybe he's just really busy being a new dad. :?: :?:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: In order for a "phone home" app to work the sgi would have to either get an IP address via dhcp or the thief would have had to rework the network settings. I know there are "dhcp on Irix" threads hereabout, but are any of us really using it on our sgis? :?: :?:

The Wakefield Octane came with DHCP running, though it is now on static IP. So I guess SGI used it in-house and the seller carried on (while he might have set up the DHCP himself, I got the impression he had not actually used the Octane much at all).

I'd have left it dynamic but for not wanting more than the bare minimum of assignable addresses (for devices that regularly change location and don't seem happy with a static address or are a pain to switch from one network to another).
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; RiscPC Kinetic-StrongARM/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.21 or Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
I never leave DHCP disabled on a system that supports it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
My firewall runs dhcpd for guests, but all my computers use static IP, that way I when I look at network traffic going through the firewall I don't have to enable hostname lookup to know who's who...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
TeamBlackFox wrote: Indeed, thieves would have to be very aware of what I have to go after it.

Adrenaline wrote: Really? You might have been out of the CLR world for a while, but you can pre-jit your application and with the relatively new .NET Native (came out a year ago), it compiles your C# code to machine code without any dependencies on the .NET framework.

Well aware of this, I just don't care. Its in the same class as Java, but worse because Mono is a hopelessly broken piece of junk and the open sourced .NET doesn't run on FreeBSD or OpenSXCE, the two modern desktop OSes I use, unless you happen to use the aforementioned Mono. There'ls other complaints but moreso I've rarely heard of someone so into UNIX being a fan of an Microsoft-derived product (yes, everyone knows abotu Xenix, which is now defunct.)

Last time I checked Mono was several versions behind Microsoft anyway...

I actually don't mind Java and C# as programming languages. My issue with C# is platform binding (despite being a portable language, it's not been ported and nobody really cares to), and Java is the amount of bad Java out there (and people doing things they were told not to do, which results in hard dependencies on certain java versions (at some point the com.sun packages started changing, probably to com.oracle, and they were never a core part of the language anyway, and people relied on them despite being told they probably should do that)
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
armanox wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote: Indeed, thieves would have to be very aware of what I have to go after it.

Adrenaline wrote: Really? You might have been out of the CLR world for a while, but you can pre-jit your application and with the relatively new .NET Native (came out a year ago), it compiles your C# code to machine code without any dependencies on the .NET framework.

Well aware of this, I just don't care. Its in the same class as Java, but worse because Mono is a hopelessly broken piece of junk and the open sourced .NET doesn't run on FreeBSD or OpenSXCE, the two modern desktop OSes I use, unless you happen to use the aforementioned Mono. There'ls other complaints but moreso I've rarely heard of someone so into UNIX being a fan of an Microsoft-derived product (yes, everyone knows abotu Xenix, which is now defunct.)

Last time I checked Mono was several versions behind Microsoft anyway...

I actually don't mind Java and C# as programming languages. My issue with C# is platform binding (despite being a portable language, it's not been ported and nobody really cares to), and Java is the amount of bad Java out there (and people doing things they were told not to do, which results in hard dependencies on certain java versions (at some point the com.sun packages started changing, probably to com.oracle, and they were never a core part of the language anyway, and people relied on them despite being told they probably should do that)

I use Mono for my Android and iOS development - everything I use is there (TPL, Async/Await, Immutable Collections, LinQ support etc.). I can share compiled code with a portable class library compiled in Visual Studio 2013 on my PC (set with the appropriate profile level to indicate I want to target Windows Phone, Android, iOS, Windows Store and .NET 4.5) which automatically filters out namespaces that aren't supported across those targeted platforms (a huge improvement over doing #define compiler flags in a shared code folder). And then take that dll and reference it in Xamarin Studio on my iMac or OpenSuse and compile iOS, console apps and Android apps with the Mono compiler.

It's not for everyone (yes it is weird a huge SGI/DEC/MIPS fan loves a Microsoft language), but I do like the versatility of the language. In my job I often jump through a bunch of different platforms throughout the day, whether it's web development, windows services or iOS development. It's nice that I don't need to switch mindsets to a different language 3-4 times a day.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL