IRIX and Software

4.x packages - Page 1

http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/index ... =foetz%2F4

a very small collection of some coffs. not sure how much more to come here because the compiler is not very generous :P
these also work fine with irix 5.x.
r-a-c.de
Wow nice! What compiler are you using for these?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Thanks for these..! I will be using these on 5.3...
vishnu wrote: Wow nice! What compiler are you using for these?

the original mips c 3.10 :D
r-a-c.de
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: I've got some on my FTP also: ftp://ftp.jurassic.nl/pub/irix/gnu/irix-4.0/

oh yeah, i imagine gcc was no fun :P
did you use that gcc for the rest or the native stuff?
r-a-c.de
This is all 10 years old, but I think I first compiled all the packages GCC depends upon using the native tools. This often means rather crude hacks and/or using very old versions of these GNU packages.

Then bootstrap GCC, and finally rebuild everything with the GCC just built. Including GCC itself.

Code generation of GCC v3 wasn't all that terrible compared to the MIPS UCODE compiler. But GCC takes a lot more CPU cycles to do the compilation which can be a problem when all you've got is a 33MHz R3000. I think I used a 200MHz R4400 Indigo2 running a late version of IRIX 4.0.5.

At the very least IRIX 4.0 has a more or less complete ANSI C library. Not any of the fancy POSIX stuff, but still. You should try compiling software for IRIX 3.3: pre-ANSI library, K&R compilers. Now there's a challenge :P
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Thanks for those builds. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who still has a fondness for 4.x!

At one point I was going to build a bunch of freeware for 4.x myself, but I never seem to have as much time as I'd like with my SGIs. :(
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
jpstewart wrote: Thanks for those builds. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who still has a fondness for 4.x!

At one point I was going to build a bunch of freeware for 4.x myself, but I never seem to have as much time as I'd like with my SGIs. :(

it takes time indeed. even with gcc a lot of things are missing from irix itself so it makes no difference sometimes.
that said i'll keep trying the popular stuff but there might not be much that actually goes through. at least not without major rewrites
r-a-c.de
  • nedit3.bz2
  • zlib_128-gcc.tar.bz2
  • coreutils-gcc.tar.bz2

coreutils are not complete but almost. a few of the proggies required stuff irix 4.x doesn't have
r-a-c.de
  • libsnprintf.tar.bz2

libsnprintf contains snprintf, vsnprintf, asprintf and vasprintf. it's the same one i used for dillo3 for 6.2. it includes a static lib and a ucode lib. both not stripped so you can use it in any way you prefer. it does also work with all later versions of irix that support coff.
r-a-c.de
  • wget.bz2
  • tcltk_805.tar.bz2
  • sed.bz2
  • readline_4.tar.bz2
  • patch.bz2
  • ntp_412.tar.bz2
  • libxml_174.tar.bz2
  • libxml2_2212.tar.bz2
  • libisnan.tar.bz2
  • libiconv_17.tar.bz2
  • curl_76.tar.bz2

libisnan is a replacement for isnan which irix4 doesn't have. static lib, ucode lib and prototype included. not stripped.
r-a-c.de
Thanks again, foetz. That last set of packages is impressive. I know I'll be able to put wget and ntp to good use. And some of those libraries will likely ease porting some other stuff, too. Great work!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
that's the idea :-)

it should give a nice foundation for quite a number of things. be it freeware or your own stuff. in fact due to curl and libxml it's even possible to make quite a "modern", internet savvy program
r-a-c.de
I don't know where you find the time foezt but this is awesome! How many people do you have on your staff anyway...? 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: I don't know where you find the time foezt but this is awesome! How many people do you have on your staff anyway...? 8-)

:P

it doesn't take that long. while other people might watch some silly talent show i rather take the compiler for a walk :D
r-a-c.de
  • libstrptime.tar.bz2
  • openssl_097m.tar.bz2
  • perl500504.tar.bz2
  • curl_76_ssl.tar.bz2

libstrptime is a substitute for strptime() that's not available on 4. as usual static and ucode lib included as well as the prototype and not stripped.
when using the original mips c on irix4 it complains about a specific prototype on line 1400 in ssl.h. if you should encounter that just comment that line out
r-a-c.de
  • curl_77.tar.bz2
  • apr_0912.tar.bz2
  • aprutil_0912.tar.bz2
  • svn_155.tar.bz2

the previous curl 7.6 had issues with ssl. this one is fine across the board so i deleted the others in favor of this one.
svn crashed sometimes but i'm not sure if that was because i was using it inside a chroot so use at your own risk :P
r-a-c.de
  • curl_79.tar.bz2

yeah sorry yet another one :P
previous versions don't support CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR so if you need to store cookies take this one :-)
r-a-c.de
  • pcre_44.tar.bz2

for the regex fans
r-a-c.de